It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity 'not individuals' fault'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

I was 5' 8" or 5' 9" at 180 pounds with a BFP of 23%. I'm 5' 10" now with a BFP of 3.4%.

Proof is in the pudding. The non dairy pudding.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

You're changing the subject. I asked for one report of peer reviewed lit that showed the Atkins diet harmed the kidneys.

There is none.

In addition the Atkins diet (which is not what I follow) is a low carb not a high meat diet. That may be how the popular media portrays it, but you'd have to read up on the diet.

May I suggest Eades

You're welcome to your 'beliefs' but you have no scientific backing for saying that the Atkins diet as stated has ever harmed any healthy person's kidneys.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
All diets are dangerous and a fraud, including the Atkins..my doctor wanted to sell me that Atkins book. I refused. I'm not going on any diet. I have tried exercise and that's the only way to loose the weight..I know that If I ran everyday I'd loose it all..but due to work, age, genetics and an aching body I can't do that anymore.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   

So you have good genetics.

I'd suggest that you could eat almost anything and still be fairly lean as long as you didn't overconsume.

What is your maintenance calories per day? Do you know how many calories per gram are in carbs, or in fat without looking it up?

Have you ever had to track calories?

If not, why are you trying to give diet advice? Obviously dieting is not a problem you've had to address.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Interesting that your doc tried to get you on Atkins. Maybe he thought you have high cholesterol? Being on a lower carb diet has reduced my levels significantly.

Exercise alone is unlikely to be very effective if you're consuming calories above your maintenance levels. I can ride my bike up hill for an hour and only burn about 800 calories, though running is pretty effective.

If 'fad' diets, or any specialized diet is not for you then no problem. My original 'beef' was with the false contention that Atkins caused kidney problems in healthy people.

What about just tracking your calorie consumption? Many people are afraid to learn just how much they eat per day so they avoid that knowledge. This is part of the problem. With online trackers it's really quite simple, though it is difficult to capture everything and it's also not easy to be totally honest with yourself as to what you're eating.

[edit on 17-10-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
reply to post by Badge01

Did you read the first link? That's an official ALERT from none other than
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)

Do yourself a favor and accept knowledge and don't pick out small segments that are in favor of your uneducated point. I like to give a full spectrum of reports on any belief I undertake. You need to read for yourself and decipher if it's healthy for you or not. I know for a fact meat is not healthy. It's just not. And eating entirely meat is a POOR decision mentally and physically. It's such a doltish take on dieting.

You struggle with your flucuating weight due to a flawed diet.. I'll just hang out with my raw fruit and vegetables and never work out.

Yeah, that's me. The tattoos are sparrows that say "carpe" one side and "diem" on the other.. No fake.

Lier I saw that picture in Loaded last week

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

I don't have good genetics, I have average genetics. I gain weight very easily if I'm not watching my diet. I just stay active and maintain a vegan diet. It's not difficult to understand.

healthy input, positive output.

The atkins has so many terrible aspects to it like high blood pressure, cholesterol, and the MASS amounts of mycotoxins you put in your body. You're looking at a 100 million mycotoxin dinner with your atkins diet compared to the 3,000 give or take in a meatless diet.

You were sold on the Atkins scam like everybody else. Give it up. The only way you can maintain a healthy weight is to eat a fair and balanced diet of meat (in your case) , vegetables, fruits, and nuts. There's no easy way out of succumbing to human nature. Your body is hundreds of thousands of years old in it's conditioning to what it's supposed to eat. Meat every meal is unnatural.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
i think it's all about portions and counting your calories.
my mom and step dad did atkins....my mom got to the point where she looked like a friggin crack head(she thought it was nice i guess)..her and my step dad were both weak all the time...
that diet just seems retarded....

i saw my wife lose about 25 pounds on weight watchers and she has maintained it.
she eats all kinds of stuff too.
it's a point based system.
you get like 20 points a day and each item is worth so many points.
they also have this calorie counter that you can take with you and say you are about to eat some frosted flakes, you check the fat, the sugar, and something else and it tells you how many points it is worth.

she eats those weight watcher deals on lunch but not all the time.
you also get 'flex points' for the week. so on top of her 20 points per day, she is allowed 15 for the entire week so she can go over today if she wants to have a snack...that said, she never uses the flex points.

also with this program, a lot of things are 'free'.
means worth zero points....i think fat free pudding is free. so you can kick back at night and have a bit and not worry.
pretty sure most raw veggies are free. when she makes a salad, she has to portion out the lettuce and dressing but she can load up in raw carrots and broccoli.

i think it is a pretty good program but the only experience i have with it is watching my wife use the program and lose weight.
she eats pretty normal, just with more portion control and such.

the point system is pretty wild.
when she first started she was allowed 24 points per day....she looked in her book at a quarter pounder and it was like 19 points or something.

so if you look at it like that, you could eat a quarter pounder and them maybe a little bit of fries and you'd be over your 24 points in one meal, say lunch.

but if you portion your stuff out, you can wait till say friday, one day a week where you go cheat....
she did used to do that...never use the flex and then saturday we would go get a piece of cheese cake or some other goody.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by paul76

Haha, I know , right?

None of you old men take that and try and scam babes with it either. I'll tell them if I find out! Cover blown! You'll have to resort to pure charm, you old geezers.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Haha, good one.

However his Avatar is also on that site.

Interesting that the same photo is labeled as 'gay' on the same site:

i229.photobucket.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
Americans are obese because the affordable food contains chemicals that cause obesity.

Incorrect. People are overweight because they consume more calories than they use. We can't create new matter(fat) out of thin air. Your body can only obtain more mass if you add additional energy. People just eat too much. True, you(just as an example) may get fat eating at McDonalds while your sister doesn't but that doesn't change the facts. Just because your sister can eat 3,000 calories a day doesn't mean you can. Just like everyone has different clothing size requirements, everyone has different calorie requirements.

If you feed a great dane and a poodle the same amount of food, the poodle will get fat while the great dane looks healthy. Do we then cry "chemical overload" on behalf of the poodle? No, we adjust the poodle's calorie intake. That's tough luck if the great dane gets more food. The fact remains that calorie intake vs. calories burned determines your weight. All that Weight Watchers does for you is count calories. You could save yourself money by just adding up the calories on the labels of food yourself.

Originally posted by Boondock78
go to taco bell and get a soda with your meal...you take note of the size of that soda?

Mmmmm, sugar water. Anther calorie counting loop-hole. Most individuals don't count their soda as calories. "I'll have a grilled chicken, no mayo, and a large Dr Pepper". You might as well have said "I'll have a chicken sandwich, no mayo, and a hot fudge sundae. It's the same amount of calories. While it's true that some calories are more easily absorbed than others, you can still control your weight by controlling the total calories. It's possible to live on donuts and still be skinny.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Yeah, and definitely don't steal this one from the same site labeled 'losers':

i229.photobucket.com...

I think 'fat chance' is the appropriate comment. (j/k)

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   

No seriously I eat like a pig. I eat steaks, kebabs, Sunday roasts, curries, KFC and the odd fry up. But I counter it by walking everywhere and doing a bit of Gym. It's all about exercise and working our bodies. That's what our legs and muscles are designed for, to work. If you don't work out then your going to put weight on even if you don't eat much. Have you ever seen a fat athlete?

P.s I'm fitter than you

[edit on 17uWednesday07/27/20 by paul76]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
i do think it is funny that people will try damn near anything, save for watching portions and buying better food.

my mom goes to the store to get ground beef an she just grabs the 60/40 meat...i don't get it...if you're going to buy it, why not get the 80/20, the leanest beef you can find? why not get ground turkey?

it is too funny.

my mother will try atkins and look like a 50 year old crackhead....she will try the other fad diets too.
there was one, i forget what it is called but it was pills. big ass pills looked like vitamins...you take these pills and you can eat once per day and they were expensive as hell too man...
for the price of those pills, she could have purchased top shelf food from the grocery store.

she also did one where it was liquid but for dinner. it was nuts man...something like water, lemon juice, tobasco sauce and cayenne pepper or some damn thing....

why would you put yourself through that?

i still say portions but i have read in numerous places that people simply don't stop eating when they are full. this can not be over stated.

when you are full, stop eating...
same with people that say they can't sleep. they go to the doc to get lunesta or this or that...docs say a lot of people don't get good nights rest or 'enough' sleep cause they simply do not go to sleep when they are tired.

people just don't stop eating when they are full.
if you go out, start odering half portions...if it is not enough(which it will be), order more. if you order the whole deal, chances are you will eat it even if you are full.

you CAN diet and you CAN lose weight without starving yourself or going through some freakshow diet

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Of course I used to track calories. I was lost in the big bad world of dieting. I was a fat kid, man, what's worse than being overweight and 16? I did something about it by adopting a vegetarian diet. Weight starting flying off me. I went from lifiting heavy weights to an almost pure cardio regimen. I was 155 when I went Vegan and with the help of a fast came down to 133 which was my bare weight. I started eating a broad range of produce and my carrying weight is 138-143 or so.. I'm lean but I am in no way skinny. I'm absolute lean muscle mass. And no fad diet got me there.

I'd go as far to say that diet is 80% if not 90% of maintaining a natural weight. I don't work out anymore. I'm as ripped as ever.

The "protein" myth is in itself a scam, as well. I know that's going to shock a lot of people but seriously... The diet industry has so many people confused and misinformed these days. They have people chasing their tails in a never ending cycle of fad diets and excercise.

"Never does nature say one thing and wisdom another."

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Mmmmm, sugar water. Anther calorie counting loop-hole. Most individuals don't count their soda as calories. "I'll have a grilled chicken, no mayo, and a large Dr Pepper"..

agreed.
i never really thought about it till my wife started doing the points. you have to count your soda's too and they are a LOT of points.
she cut a lot of points/calories out of her diet by drinking more water.

when she gets home, i will ask her for her book and see how many points some of the most popular joints are worth...

25 points CAN BE a lot of food if you balance it out....or, you can get one meal from mcnasty....

soda is an epidemic in this country. people of all ages drink insane amounts of soda and it is terrible. loaded with sugar...empty calories right?

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
I would like to remind people that all these chemicals and pesticides and msg’s, and hormones they put into our foods do help a lot for people being overweight.

I personally believe its what the government puts into our daily foods as well as our drinks which causes a lot of people to be overweight.

actually the govt. only allows the food processors to add all that crud
..... in addition to the hormones and growth acids added to the
feed of the poulty, turkey, beef and pork, in our food chain.

blame the special interests and the wizards of juggling data for proving
that all those chemicals/hormones/growth-steroids are not harmful to
the humans that consume the processed foods.

FYI, there are 'organic' foods, also 'Kosher'...so there are choices out there
for the informed
there are also fitness centers almost as plentiful as bank branches in any
town or city, at least here in SC...
sure, in a way...it's not our fault, in the sense that most of us are not
really knowledgeable on nutrition/dietician planning, as it's a rush-rush
way of life...
consider also, that most of the millions of food-stamp beneficiaries are
limited to chemically laden, sweet, starchy, fatty food that fills one's stomach, instead of being 'healthy' First.

(although those public-service-announcements are the govt's way of CYA)

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
I have tried exercise and that's the only way to loose the weight.

Honestly being healthy is about 40% exercise and 60% diet. By diet I mean what you consume. What you do in the kitchen makes or breaks your exercise routine.

link   
reply to post by Boondock78

You can't blame her. America is sending(selling) the wrong message to all the misguided people who are willing to believe them. It's not her fault that she trusts what "scientists" or "good looking people" have to say. That's every woman in the western world. Looking for a way out of the detrimental effects her daily diet and lifestyle takes on her body and overall health. She wants that easy way out just like badge01 and everybody else.

I got caught up in a few of them but nature is what works. It really does. There's no going against mother nature.

link   
reply to post by dbates

People are overweight because they consume more calories than they use.

OMGZ, you've solved the obesity crisis.

Or, could it be that this is too simplistic?

Of course it's due to over consumption of calories above maintenance. But that doesn't help anyone. The answer is what you eat and why eating certain foods causes hunger and over eating.

It's somewhat an individual thing. One has to find the type of diet or caloric restriction that works for them.

For many it's reduction of white carbs, refined foods and sugar. Though that may lead to increasing protein intake, it doesn't have to be red meat. Many consume protein powder and seafood. It's recommended that you get about 0.8gm/lb of protein per day and if you're working out up to 1.2gm/lb.

I think the key is tracking your calories using an online calculator.

In order to lose one pound of fat you have to have a net deficit of 3500 calories per week, or 500 calories below maintenance per day.

To do this you have to know your maintenance level and that requires tracking. I use fitday.com.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join