It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Dragonstatue in Den Bosch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Yesterday me and my sis paid a visit to the dutch city 's-Hertogenbosch to check-out 'Twinemen', the new rockband from the ex-bandmembers of Morphine.

When we arrived in the hart of the ancient city we immediately noticed a huge statue of a golden dragon sided by four gargoyles which has been placed in front of the trainstation. I believe it was recently polished because it was shining brightly in the sun.

The Dutch usually call this city 'Den Bosch', but its official name is 's-Hertogenbosch. This literally means 'the woods of the duke'. That duke was Henry I of Brabant, who gave 's-Hertogenbosch its city rights and all associated trading privileges in 1185.

To keep foreign armies and looters out, many cities at that time were surrounded by city walls. At a later stage, they were encircled by earth ramparts and bastions. The remains of much of these ramparts and bastions can still be seen in 's-Hertogenbosch today. The city of 's-Hertogenbosch is a member of the Dutch Fortified Cities Association, an organisation through which fortified cities in the Netherlands promote their common cultural and historical heritage.

The oldest part of 's-Hertogenbosch, right at its heart, is the triangular market square. The earliest walls used to surround this square. From these walls, the inhabitants of the city, called 'Bosschenaren', defended their homes, and for a long time the city was renowned as an invincible stronghold. Because the city was also surrounded by wetlands, the delta area of the small rivers the Aa and the Dommel, the city soon gained the heroic nickname 'The Invincible Dragon of the Marshes'.

Here's a nice pic for your reptilian research archive;

Nice gig by the way. For more info on Twinemen:

www.twinemen.com...

new topics

join