It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

wireless DSL problems..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
yea, yea, i saw the thread down there lower on the list but my answers weren't solved there and it seems to be a completely different problem, well actually there's two problems i'm having

my first problem is the internet up in here in my room (wireless) constantly goes out.. everything is fine downstairs where the modem and router is, the lights flash correctly on my wireless adapter and it even shows the two lit computer screens with the globe representing me being online, i think i might know what part of the problem could be but i'm not 100 percent sure.. my wireless connection is unsecured.. i don't know how to make it secure..

some more information.. I'm using SBC global DSL and a combination of linksys routers and wireless adapters. I'm also using windows vista.. sometimes the internet will be on for hours, up to 9 or 10 then go out randomly for i dont know.. sometimes up to two hours, but only here in my room.. my wireless internet also disconnects more then 80% of the time someone in my house answers the our wireless phones.. which leads me to my second question

why in the hell are my wireless phones disconnecting me from my wireless internet..

I've been dealing with this problem for months now and I'm finally starting to get frustrated. It sucks disconnecting from computer games when you're winning or loosing a long post you wrote up on ATS. (lol better make sure i'm online before i post this.. AND SEE! It's a good thing i did cause it's down right now.. guess i have to wait til it comes back up before i post)

Thanks in advanced........

Just to add while I'm waiting for my internet to come back on.. Maybe what I need to do is just scrap the current connection and make a new one.. I don't know how to access any of the Linksys option pages or anything.. used to know but forgot.

maybe if someone could just walk me through how to make a new, secure, wireless connection using windows XP(which is what i have where my router and modem is, downstairs)

thanks again

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Sounds like your connection is dropping due to interference.

Linksys router login is 192.168.1.1, which you need to type into your address bar.

That should bring up the Login page, if you set your own password you'll need it to access the router, if you left it at default, it should be one of these:

Default user names:

Linksys BEFW11S4, WRT54G: admin
Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Ethernet routers: Administrator
Linksys Comcast routers: comcast
All other Linksys routers: [none]
Default passwords:
Linksys BEFW11S4: [none]
Linksys Comcast routers: 1234
All other Linksys routers: admin

Once in, look for a wireless settings section.

Try changing the channel, if you're on 6 try 11 or 1 etc.

To set up security, you'll need to know what types of encryption your wireless adapter supports, WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc.

WPA2 is the most secure but you'll have to go with whatever your adapter supports.

Bear in mind that any other devices that need access to the router, other PCs, consoles etc, will need to support the same encryption.

Once that is decided, set the encryption standard and create a passcode on the router. Then do the same on your PC.

If you can't get into the router, you'll have to reset it, as described here:

www.tech-faq.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
greatly appreciated my friend!!

cool man thanks, i'm assuming i do this upstairs.. im room.. where my adapter is.. i'll go ahead and try, thanks again

edit: never mind, i understand now

[edit on 17-10-2007 by The Phantom]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Phantom
why in the hell are my wireless phones disconnecting me from my wireless internet..

When you got all your DSL stuff from AT&T you should've gotten filters to install with every telephone (or wireless base station) plugged into a jack. You might double check that they're all still in place.

You also might check to see if the frequency used by your wireless phones is the same as the frequency used by the wireless Internet signal coming from the router. If the phones are 2.4GHz, you might need to scrap them and get something else for voice.

Just another thought.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
thanks yeahright.. i followed to the steps made2fade gave me and everything seems good.. so far

no one has called yet though and i'm afraid to test it because that could make the net go down for longer then i'd like it to be

unfortunately my phone uses the same frequency as my adapter, my cousin had the same problem with the same DSL company, same adapter and same phones..

lol, what are the odds

top topics

join