YOU are responsible for your posts.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
YOU are responsible for your posts.

Really very simple isn't it? Doesn't matter whether so and so said something and you're responding to it, if it's out of bounds you're going to get zinged, you may get away with it for a while, even a long while, but eventually bad posting habits will get you.

The T & C's, for the most part, can be boiled down to a couple of points. The first and foremost vaguely resembles the "golden rule": Post unto others as you would have them post unto you. In other words, be polite. Attack the issue with politeness and passion, and all will be well. Attack the poster(s) and eventually we'll get you.

The second point? Refer back to the first point.

There are, of course, other rules that apply to other portions of your membership here, but for the purposes of this thread...Politeness and passion rule all.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The main issue I have with the mods is the lack of acknowledgement of a complaint.

Example: A recent thread caused a super-mod to warn the community about off-topic posts, name calling, and personal insults. The warning said that all instances from then on would be dealt with by point deductions and post bans.

Within a short time, a member stated the following about conservatives: "Let's call them what they are. Nazis".

I u2u'ed the super-mod about it. No response and no action.

Soon after, my and another member's posts were deleted because we discussed the lack of action.

I u2u'ed the mod that deleted my post, referring him to the Nazi reference.

No response and no action.

When a member's communications go un-acknowledged, his posts are deleted, and other more blatant offenses are allowed to remain, this can be interpreted as selective moderation.

I mean, how much time does it take to respond to a u2u?

I suppose I'll be told to submit a Complaint. But those also go unacknowledged more often than not.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The mods aren't always going to take the action that we think they should. Sometimes they discuss the complaint and "offending" post and come to the conclusion that it's not actually breaking the T&C. Or they might contact the offender in a U2U. Or one mod might deal with it in a slightly different way than another one would.

As members, we aren't privy to what goes on behind the big, heavy curtain.

Once we members put in the complaint, our job is DONE.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I've read these forums for years, only recently become a posting member. I've read the T&C many times and feel I'm the only person responsible for what I post on ANY forum board, whether it be here or anyplace on the internet.
That said, something comes to mind that my grandmother taught me...."it's sometimes better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt"........

Happy Holidays Everyone!!!
Soul Sista

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

When a member's communications go un-acknowledged, his posts are deleted, and other more blatant offenses are allowed to remain, this can be interpreted as selective moderation.

You know as well as I do, Jso, that we're human...subject to the same foibles as everyone else. Yes, occaisionally political bias, or any other sort of bias will sneak through our objectivity...hey, it happens. I'm not saying that's a good thing, it isn't...but it happens.

But in the long run, and you've been here long enough to know this, it evens out. Someone get's away with calling someone something vile, they think they can always do it, well they can't, there's only so many of us. There are last I counted something around half a million posts on ATS/BTS, we can't possibly see everything that gets written. That's why we depend so very heavily on our fellow members to point these things out to us.

This specific episode that you refer to, I don't know the particulars. Was it intentional? I doubt it. I know you've had runins with various mod types, or they've had run ins with you, witch ever...lol, I doubt that played a part...I've had my share of runins with members since I took up this little jaunt into paradise, but I'll still moderate fairly, despite accusations to the contrary. My own personal integrity demands that of me, if nothing else...and trust me, given the character of the people I share modding duty with, anything less than my honest, and best, efforts would be unforgivable. They, I am positive, feel exactly the same.

I may, or may not have, allayed your concerns, Jsobecky; but this is my honest opinion, based on several months of observation and interaction with my fellow mods.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Seagull, please check your u2u's. I just sent you one, outlining the details.

After you read it, I think you'll appreciate why I didn't lay out the details here.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
What I find interesting is when a post is edited it shows the mods/admins name that edits it, but when a post is deleted a warning sign is posted and I can't see who deleted it....unless I am missing it.

Seems it would be "nice" to know who did the deleting in case the poster had a question about it or wanted to challenge it.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Blogstalker

When a post is removed, the member automatically gets an U2U with an explanation and the name of the Mod who removed it. Then the member can contact this Mod and discuss the matter if necessary.

Edit to add that I know this because I have had post removed a couple of times. I behaved childish, so it was well deserved.

[edit on 29/12/08 by ziggystar60]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
If WE are responsible for our posts, they should not have warnings/editing/deletion done to them. No rules on posting. Censorship is, well, retarded.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyindevil
If WE are responsible for our posts, they should not have warnings/editing/deletion done to them. No rules on posting. Censorship is, well, retarded.

There is no censorship. Just changes made in posts that are not in accord with the T&C, which everyone agrees to when registering.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by flyindevil

You might want to explore the topic of ATS Censorship.

And then there is the issue of whether a privately owned board that has a right to manage it's content can engage in censorship.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Now that you mention it I remember getting a u2u when I had a post deleted and points deducted (It was my first post and a one liner). But I don't remember getting a u2u when I had another post or two deleted..as to off topic or content....but can't be sure.

Let's hope I never find out.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

actually, i have had a few warnings and i have u2u'd the moderator and they explained what infraction of the T&C's i had broken. since it is privately owned, this website needs some degree of oversite. reasonable people speak and type in a reasonable manner and this is what seperates ATS from all the other viscid verbal vomit out there. passions should be controlled, for rational discussions to take place. i guess i'm the only one that think the MOD's are doing the best they can to keep the integrity of this site intact.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blogstalker
What I find interesting is when a post is edited it shows the mods/admins name that edits it, but when a post is deleted a warning sign is posted and I can't see who deleted it....unless I am missing it.

Seems it would be "nice" to know who did the deleting in case the poster had a question about it or wanted to challenge it.

Actually a u2u is generated and I beleive it should have the mods name in it.

The other option you have is to file a complaint. Heck we all have off days and filing the complaint allows the staff as a whole (Including admin and site owners) to review the issue at hand. If the post was incorrectly removed it can be placed back.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I agree- that as an overall, the Mods and overseer type folks here do a fantastic job. They have a huge job to do and are indeed only human, just as the rest of us are. Cut them a bit of slack folks.

Moderating boards is a tough job also, and most of the time, if not all the time, its gratis work, and generally unappreciated gratis work, at that. Then why do they do it? Because they beleive in what the board or website stands for, among other reasons.

Keep up the good work Mods and Super Mods! I for one am thankful for what you do and totally understand what chaos would ensue if you were not here to guide the forums in the right directions.

Thanks!
Happy New Years!
Soul Sista

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulSista

As for myself, I may have a few questions on how things work and may not agree with them all, but I do appreciate the work that is done by mods etc. There has to be guide lines or rules or there would be anarchy...can't have that on any board esp. a conspiracy site.

And I would gather that most of the work is volunteer..it is on most sites I am familiar with.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I'm glad you said that and not me

Intrepid... certainly it is your own questionable opinion... and not a fact?

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
Intrepid... certainly it is your own questionable opinion... and not a fact?

You're going to have to be clearer. I have a big mouth, not sure what you're referring to.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

It's a throwback to the meaningless American(sorry guys but it's a fact) mindset. "With me or against me."

That is what I referred to. Certainly opinion... and not fact.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
It's a throwback to the meaningless American(sorry guys but it's a fact) mindset. "With me or against me."

That is what I referred to. Certainly opinion... and not fact.

I'm sorry man, still not following what you're talking about. Can you show me the post you're referring to? Btw, I'm Canadian.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join