It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange ip thing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
i dont now if this is the right thread, i also don't even know if this is really an ip or anything to be worried about, but my McAfee picked it up saying it was trying to gain access to my computer, and I have never had it happen before, and i was hoping somebody on here could tell me what it is...

Gateway: 192.168.2.1
Mask: 255.255.255.0
MAC Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00

thank you for any help you can give me

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
192.168.2.1 is a wireless connection to a website on your or someones router. I believe it's microsoft wireless modem.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Do you use a Linksys wireless router?

If so, that is the addy for the settings. You type that in your browser and log on and change your wireless settings, such as password protecting etc.

So, its nothing to worry about

Example of mine:

[click on link - large image]
i80.photobucket.com...

[edit on 16-10-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

How large is your home network?

When you set up a network, your router will still use your original IP address to communicate with the outside world. Your router will assign your computers, inside your network, with alternate IP addresses... as a means of providing a firewall to your computers... by only allowing communications to the directed addresses that you allow.

The "inside" network under a router will always be, unless manually configured, as follows:

192.168.1.102.... numerically progressing for each additional computer/connection.

The notification from McAfee could simply be one of your computer's programs attempting to access the internet, looking for updates (?), since it wasn't already "given permission" to access the internet.

Not sure what else you're looking for?

Maybe this will offer you more assistance...

Definition: The IP address 192.168.2.1 is the default for certain models of home broadband routers principally SMC and Belkin brands. This address is set by the manufacturer at the factory, but you can change it at any time using the network router's administrative console.

192.168.2.1 is a private IPv4 network address. Home routers can use it to establish the default gateway. On such routers, you can access its administrative console by pointing a Web browser to 192.168.2.1....

Any brand of network router, or any computer on a local network for that matter, can be set to use 192.168.2.1. As with any IP address, however, to avoid address conflicts only one device on the network should use it.
source

[edit on 10/16/2007 by Infoholic]

top topics

join