It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM RFID Checkout in Supermarket

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   

IBM RFID Checkout in Supermarket

www.prisonplanet.com

This video, a IBM commercial, gives a future view on how to use RFID to shop in a supermarket without have to wait in a line. It seems this is already implemented by Domoco in Japan!
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Right in line with the Visa commercials...

Here's yet another way to make the RFID chip look good.

Even with this type of convenience, I'm still not getting one.

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/16/2007 by Infoholic]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The IBM Hollerith machine kept Nazi prisoners organized.

IBM is no good... we need to keep watching.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I doubt this will ever be a commercial reality. I work at a Wal-Mart where we're getting rid of our self-service checkouts and replacing them with real people because the self-service models give our customers so many opportunities to steal stuff.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Oh (blank)!

Its starting, there is no way im getting Chipped, i don't care what the repercutions are, im not getting chipped, so sorry if i like to use cash, sorry.

So, what are we going to do when May 2008 rools around, and the real ID act gors into effect...

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Well... eventually... those who refuse such blatant invasions of privacy might be put in detainment camps. "If you have nothing to hide, why worry?" Worry.

Edit: If you don't get chipped, you're the terrorist. You're the threat.

[edit on 16-10-2007 by depth om]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I microwave all of my atm and credit cards to kill the RFID. No longer than 2-3 seconds tho or it will start to melt

My AMEX blue card looks really cool now because that blue crap is all cracked up, and the girl at the checkout counter is always amazed....

Personally, i dont like the idea of powerful directional antennas or those RFID Theft Prevention towers at the doors to stores being able to read the info out of my wallet and track me everywhere i go or steal my identity.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Sheeple: My liberty and security, or shorter waiting lines? Hmmm..... Shorter waiting lines! Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

Honestly though, what are people thinking to accept those things? Are they even thinking? The propaganda is so obvious it's not funny anymore.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Infoholic

This is really nothiing new several other companies have had them or versions of them since 2000 for sure and tests have been conducted in Wisconsin,Michigan and out East by more then one company.

Automatic Grodery Store

It also should be noted none of the systems has taken off that I know of. The ones they tested here are now gone and assume the others are as well since we get no news on them.

They are however using one portion of the system and I think virutually all stores now have the two columns that detect any items someone tries to shoplift.

[edit on 10/17/2007 by shots]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Shots

Shots,

I appreciate your candor, however the article you linked us to was about a "U-Scan" system... kinda like what's at Walmart now in the "self serve" isle.

U-Scan is like the ultimate vending machine: pick out your items, scan them in, and insert your crispy dollar bills. Even better, you don’t even have to have crispy dollar bills. The machines take debit and credit cards, too.
source

The video is about an RFID system, scanning that little chip in your head, arm, or wherever... two totally different systems. There's nothing saying the exact type of RFID in the video, however, one can only speculate that it would be of one type or the other... given the information we've already gotten on these chips. It's not the type of chip that worries me, it's the way it's being used... rather the way it's being sold.

[edit on 10/17/2007 by Infoholic]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   

As I mentioned there have been several all using varying methods to scan and that includes several companies similar to IBM the only differance is IBM is now making its move to get into the market that is all.

Checkout lines could become history RFID 2004

Product tracking RFID technology comes of age in Canadian marketplace 2005

NCR Self-checkout systems may reduce impulse purchases

Some of the systems use cards, some use finger prints etc but they all use the bar code of the product to scan under various patents.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I remember this commercial from way back in the day. I think I was still in High School. This commercial got me into the implant conspiracy mark of the beast thing. I will not except or negotiate getting an rfid implant. I will let myslf get beheaded and probly cry the whole time while they are abou to pull the lever.....

anywho......yep. soon....very soon

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
thats absurb....it wouldnt happen

we would still use money for our accounts...there would never be a credit system like that...and IBM wishes they could do it that easily. You'd have to scan yourelf with the scanner way before you'd just walk through it with all those clothes...its absurb

i highly doubt ibm has the technology to go that far and even if they do...who'd want that crap in you?

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
I doubt this will ever be a commercial reality. I work at a Wal-Mart where we're getting rid of our self-service checkouts and replacing them with real people because the self-service models give our customers so many opportunities to steal stuff.

I was explaining to my friends how easy it is to steal from those things. Just encouraging the theft...

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Personally, I don't see what the big problem is with RFID. I would LOVE to be able to do that at a grocery store...that is amazing.

In terms of implanting in people, maybe it will be useful? imagine a child being kidnapped and the police are able to track the child using RFID and save the kid before something bad happens....

[edit on 053131p://121217 by porky1981]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by depth om

your signature is true--------G-D have mercy on us

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by shots

your signature works the other way around also:loose ships sink lips ? the present age i'm afraid ! government out of control and ignoring the old laws-----i wonder what was wrong with them ?

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
While I do not agree with chipping people at all and would never allow myself to be chipped. A lot of people need a better understanding of how RFID works and realize that there are a lot of extremely useful applications for it especially when it comes to areas such as supply chain and inventory management.

Now, I don't claim to be an Expert in RFID, but I work in IT and have done a bit of work with it. There is no real practical way that an RFID tag could be used to track a person without their knowledge. Tags come in either passive (which need to pass a scanner) or active (which send out a signal) so this would mean to actually pinpoint a person they would have to have an active tag implanted in them. Granted, the government and military is YEARS ahead technology wise, I find it hard to believe that there is an active tag small enough to be easily implanted into anyone without them knowing about it. Furthermore, tags do no carry data about whatever it is attached to, it is merely a number that is referenced in a database. This means there would have to be an organized way for which to match each tag up with the person that it is implanted in, so this would eliminate mass implants via things like flu shots.

The only feasible way I could see the government instituting something like this secretly in this day and age is with RFID in something like a bank card where it is tied to your personal information. If they were able to synchronize scanners at nearly every store or install secret scanners that would pick up the chip in your card as you walk by they could essentially see where you have been, but something like this seems impractical considering the installation and integration of a system such as this to track such a small percentage of the population that actually uses a credit card with a chip in it.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dj05544
thats absurb....it wouldnt happen

we would still use money for our accounts...there would never be a credit system like that...and IBM wishes they could do it that easily. You'd have to scan yourelf with the scanner way before you'd just walk through it with all those clothes...its absurb

The chips do not need to be implanted, nor do they need to be powered and radiating to home base.

Imagine a world

...where you cannot get into the grocery store, mall, Home Depot, etc. without scanning your government issued "Real ID" at the door. Event log.

Once inside the store, the biometric digital signature of your face is tracked around the store by cameras. Event. Event.

You pick up your groceries... and when the camera at the door sees your facial signature leave, your "default" account is debited for all of the items leaving with you. Event Log.

No Real ID? Sorry... you cannot enter. No matter what american city (military base) you go to there are only so many franchises. And those are owned by a smaller few conglomerate companies. Sure ma and pa corner store will still take cash and let you in without scanning... but national and international franchised space will be secured from the non Real ID toting public, just like Airports and Federal Buildings. Event log. Event log. Thats McDonalds, Shop-Rite, Wal-mart, and even Piggly Wiggly. Classing citizens ultimately by financial and intellectual ability to keep a Real ID.

Tags come in either passive (which need to pass a scanner) or active (which send out a signal) so this would mean to actually pinpoint a person they would have to have an active tag implanted in them. Granted, the government and military is YEARS ahead technology wise, I find it hard to believe that there is an active tag small enough to be easily implanted into anyone without them knowing about it.

Imagine a world

It is all a grid. Every intersection in every major city is watched, by their machine. Everything else is privatized with indoctrinated territorial boundaries.

An absolute situationally aware matrix of aggregatedly logged multilayer detection.

Access to the national data set requires a $n1,000,000 annual permit. Local data sets can be purchased, $n10,000. It is said the global data set is worth $n10^10 and currently owned by a private, identitities un-disclosed, fraternal organization.

They know where you are, because they know when you pass. Every place where there is a "city" light. Some intersections have multiple scanners where your biometric facial and body information is updated.

And they know its you because you're still wearing the Nike tag in your favorite shoes... You're still wearing size 32 Jeans... and you still have 6 fillings and a root canal... The biometric heat signature of you bone structure is the same.

And its the same information that was read when you drove through the last intersection at 15 mph.

You can cut off the leg with the RFID in the titanium rod.
You can eat oatmeal for years trying to pass the dust sized chips you encounter when the wind blows. The aggretate logs say your headed west; gps position... Leg has seperated from john doe #...

But it doesn't matter.

Bag it, tag it.

Sell it to butcher at the store.

Total Situational Awareness

Multilayer Intrusion Detection

Log Aggregation

Its for profit and control.

Welcome to babylon, what'd you think you find when you got here country boy?

Sri Oracle

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Very nice post, Sri.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone put two and two together with the Real ID... which is coming in 7 months or so.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join