It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin warns US against attacking Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Putin warns US against attacking Iran

news.yahoo.com

TEHRAN, Iran - Russian leader Vladimir Putin met his Iranian counterpart Tuesday and implicitly warned the U.S. not to use a former Soviet republic to stage an attack on Iran. He also said countries bordering the Caspian Sea must jointly back any oil pipeline projects in the region.

At a summit of the five nations that border the inland Caspian Sea, Putin said none of the nations' territory should be used by any outside countries for use of military force against any nation in the region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.foxnews.com

[edit on 16-10-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
For some people who don't know, Caspian Sea, it has 5 nations around it. Azerbaijan, Islamic Republic of Iran, Kazakhstan, Russian Federation, and Turkmenistan. An oil discovery was made in the Caspian Sea, it was pretty big about 50 billion berrels.

Relations between Russia and Iran seem stronger. I wonder if the US takes this matter seriously...

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-10-2007 by Equinox99]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Here is some more:

In Iran, Putin Warns Against Military Action

By NAZILA FATHI and C.J. CHIVERS
Published: October 17, 2007

TEHRAN, Oct. 16 — President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia told a summit meeting of five Caspian Sea nations in Iran on Tuesday that any use of military force in the region was unacceptable, and in a declaration the countries agreed that none of them would allow their territories to be used as a base for military strikes against any of the others.

“We should not even think of making use of force in this region,” Mr. Putin said.

Mr. Putin’s comments and the declaration come at a time when the United States has refused to rule out military action to halt Iran’s nuclear energy program, which it believes masks a desire to develop nuclear weapons. Iran says its program, including the enrichment of uranium, is solely for peaceful purposes.

Asked about Mr. Putin’s remarks, Tony Fratto, the deputy White House press secretary, played them down, saying simply, “That sounds like a good policy.”

In Iran, Putin Warns Against Military Action, NY Times

I wonder what implications will this meeting have...

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I know this is pure speculation, but it wouldn't suprise me if Russia and Iran (and possibly unknown person(s) ) are tightening down the final hatches before the inevitable shodown with the U.S .

I suppose another theory is that Russia just gave the United States the middle finger

[edit on 16-10-2007 by highfreq]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I can't believe that our government and the media are so open about attacking Iran. Not to mention doing it through a preemptive strike. I tell you when Ron Paul said that attacking Iran would be a disaster, he knew what he was saying.
Putin Isn't playing around and if the NWO doesn't call this off and lets loose America on Iran then just consider this country, this world, over with.

You're crazy to think that Russia and China wont support Iran or even join the war. If this happens one country if not more are done with. It will be down to the very end and it won't end w/o nukes going off. These brainwashed media sucking idiots are out of their mind to support this. Anyone who supports this has just totally lost their sense of reality.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
US has no right to police anyone in the Asia region. It is inevitable that they will
upset the super powers that are involved in that region. I mean just imaging if Russia came and started to police Canada, I am pretty sure that US and the UK would not just stand there and do nothing.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Global politics are never what they seem...let history be your guide.

IMO Russia and or China would not lift a finger to "protect" Iran in the event of a conflict with the U.S.

Look at it this way,
Russia is building a billion dollar nuclear reactor in Iran.
China does approx 10 billion worh of trade with Iran a year.

If the U.S. does go to war with Iran, the American military will wreak havoc on the infrastructure, it's what they are good at.

In return for looking the other way, and they will, Russia and China get untold billions in reconstruction contracts, hell the U.S. is way to busy in Iraq and Afghanistan rebuilding.

This would be the reward for their tacit support. It's how global politics gets played.

my2cents

edit for spelling

[edit on 16-10-2007 by deadbang]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by deadbang

While you make valid points and things could very well go that way, I think it's pretty bold to go in and destroy a Russian made reactor. It kind of destroys their credibility. What other country will be willing to buy Russia's nuke reactors just to watch all their money go up in smoke!

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
China and to a lesser degree, Russia will not let Iran be attacked. Cheney wants to but the cards are against him big time in this one and I tell ya, the military knows it too.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Grover, I disagree completely, there are 3 independent (meaning they can stand alone if need be) major military powers in the world right now, China, Russia, and United States...not one of these three wants a fight with the others, not for anything short of defense of the motherland.

Russia and China could and probably would arm Iran and provide technology, but they would not involve serious amounts of troops.

At the level that US, China, Russia play...they fight by wars against each other by proxy...easier to walk away from without getting your national pride hurt and less chance of glassing the planet.

edit for spelling

[edit on 16-10-2007 by deadbang]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
There is a whole lot of misinformation swelling around the US, Russia and Iran.
I'm a bit confused, first there is the threat against Putin then he's not going to Iran then he's there and makes this statement. WTF is going on?

I want to believe the sources that I follow, but to hear this one makes me think that ALL news is BS! I'm frustrated.

[edit on 16-10-2007 by Guzzeppi]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Im with you there Guzzeppi

I believe that this is the media's main goal at the present moment, is to confuse the public. I think this goal even extends to some of these alternative news sources.

I don't know what to believe anymore and its hard to tell the details of it all. One thing is very clear though, this is all a big show with a lot of really big actors.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Russia is not a true ally of Iran, nor is it much concerned with Iran's oil, nuclear and military ambitions, or political system. In fact in my opinion for Russia this is not about Iran at all. This whole conflict of words is about the US, and its rising influence and involvement in Southwest Asia - this is what truly concerns the Kremlin. Russia is espectially concerned with the Caspian sphere, and the implications of its vast oil resources and unstable governments.

US has been rapidly encrouching on the Caspian region, and around Russia as a whole. On one side you got the US-sponsored revolt in Ukraine and the missile shield in Poland and Czech Republic. Ok - the Eastern Europeans are lured to the US side and want to suck up to the US and US wants to suck up to them - I can understand that.

But then in the East you got Georgia, which fell to a pro-US dictator in a coup-disguised-as-a-revolution. Azerbaijan has suddenly changed its political stance to pro-US soon after as well - and as a result you now got a Caspian oil pipeline operating for the US and Team. Furthemore US has been snitching around Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan ever since the start of the War on Terror. It even tried to fire up a few color-coded revolutions there to, alas with no success. And now Iran is surrounded by the US - and you got an equivalent of two rabid dogs staring at each other and thinking God-knows-what.

All this maneuvering around the Caspian must have Putin pretty concerned. Only a decade ago Russia had the region under its influence - there was a nice balance and everyone had more of less of an agreement about who gets what resources in the Caspian.

Now that US arrived to the show, everything changed. The pro-US Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan and sparring with Russia, Kazakhstan, and Iran about the Sea and its resources. Except for Iran and Russia, political situation in these countries is very shaky, and you can bet there would be several coups or revolts there in the next decade - in large part thanks to US lobbying local interests. It is a very complex situation, but these are the basics as I understand it.

And now Russia understands that if Iran gets taken down or severly weakened, US will dominate the Caspian region. Russia will be even more surrounded by the US-Bloc, and the Middle East will be out of its reach. This is what it boils down to - US is quickly trying to get the largest slice of the natural-resources pie and create a buffer around Russia at the same time, even if it is biting off more than it can chew (Iraq). US has been setting its sights on nearly all countries surrounding Russia. Just look at the map:

The Baltics join NATO and become outspoken critics of Russia.
Accusations against Belarus.
Missile shield in Poland and Czech Republic.
Pro-US uprising in Ukraine and NATO military exercises in the Black Sea.
Pro-US coup in Georgia.
Sudden and unexpected change to pro-US stance in Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan.
Invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan and US positioning its forces in Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, solidifying ties with them.
US grinding its teeth at North Korea.

If this does not set a pattern, then I don't know what would. Iran and China are the last strong powers left between Russia and the US buffer. Russia's growing alliance with Iran is out of necessity, and if US maintains its aggressive behavior than Russia might just elevate its friendship with Iran and China into a true military alliance. This is out of necessity more than anything, and Iran couldn't be happier. Everyone is focused on oil and terrorists, but there is more to the War on Terror than this.

I am not implying that US is trying to invade or directly threaten Russia, but it might be preparing for the next Cold War, or least insuring that it has a hold on considerable oil resources for the near future. The Caspian region is being dragged into war. I would watch Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan carefully, not just Iran.

[edit on 16-10-2007 by maloy]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

Maloy, well thought out and I tend to agree. Iran, The Stans and a few other countries are really just the front lines of a proxy war between the 3 major players...with the intensse focus on two of them, Russia and U.S.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
For some people who don't know, Caspian Sea, it has 5 nations around it. Azerbaijan, Islamic Republic of Iran, Kazakhstan, Russian Federation, and Turkmenistan. An oil discovery was made in the Caspian Sea, it was pretty big about 50 billion berrels.

Yeah the US is already all over this matter. To the tune of investing tens of billions of dollars (not just into the pipeline itself, but to lobby the local leaders) into a new Caspian Oil pipeline in fact. And guess what - the pipeline runs through one of the most volitile hot-spots in the Caucasus, and two countries that had seen a several coups in the last decade, and have been on the brink of a civil war.

The volatile region is Nagorno Karabakh, where Azerbaijan had a bloody conflict with Armenians, which continues to this day. Wait it gets even better - the Armenians were traditionally supported by Russia, while Azerbaijan has been supported by NATO member Turkey and now the US.

Azerbaijan and Georgia through which the pipeline runs are both US puppets right now. The people who are in the know in both of them do not appreciate this fact. If either country will have another coup/revolt and a change in stance, US will be left with two options:

- Forget the invested billions and the oil opportunities and let history take its course.

or

-Militarily support the pro-US side, possibly getting its own troops involved itself. Hey Iraq is just next door, and US just can't seem to find its way out it - hmmm.

Now we might see the Middle-East conflict spread further into Asia, and closer to Russia. Azerbaijan is a buffer for Russia, just like Georgia used to be. If something happens there, it would likely get itself involved too. Oh the possibilities.

[edit on 16-10-2007 by maloy]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I think you are all missing the obvious on this story.

Rice met with Putin last week. Putin went out of his way to publicly deride the U.S., and then he and Rice went inside and had a nice friendly chat.

Now Putin is in Iran chatting with Armadinajad. Do you really think it is a coincidence that Putin is having this meeting right after the meeting with Rice, and just a couple of weeks after Armadinajad visited the U.S.?

All the NWO players are going to come out ahead. There is going to be no war. Putin gets to look like the tough guy who stood up to the U.S. The U.S. may blow up the nuclear facility, at which point Russia will get paid to build another one.

China may be the odd man out. China is the biggest consumer of oil, and all this saber rattling might be a conspiracy to make sure China pays through the nose for oil.

Whatever the case, I will guarantee you 99% that all this is a big show for the media. The plan has already been laid out and decided upon, and this is just part of the plan.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
China and Russia are but bit players in any potential conflict between America and Iran. IF (this is a big if, because I will argue that this conflict will never happen because of the disastrous consequences) a conflict happens, the main combatants will be Israel and the Shia armies. It's shockingly obvious that the main party who wants anyone to go to war with Iran is Israel, the Shia know this and will slaughter Israel if Iran gets attacked. They have piles of conventional weapons, Israel is a small country, it would not long survive an all-out onslaught by the Shia armies. Sure, there would be piles of Shia dead at the end of the day, but Israel would be out of the picture.

I am convinced that Iran's ultimate goal is Israel's surrender, they want to take their time with this, but I do not think that they will hesitate to "advance the timetable" on this if attacked.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
China and Russia are but bit players in any potential conflict between America and Iran. IF (this is a big if, because I will argue that this conflict will never happen because of the disastrous consequences) a conflict happens, the main combatants will be Israel and the Shia armies. It's shockingly obvious that the main party who wants anyone to go to war with Iran is Israel, the Shia know this and will slaughter Israel if Iran gets attacked. They have piles of conventional weapons, Israel is a small country, it would not long survive an all-out onslaught by the Shia armies. Sure, there would be piles of Shia dead at the end of the day, but Israel would be out of the picture.

I am convinced that Iran's ultimate goal is Israel's surrender, they want to take their time with this, but I do not think that they will hesitate to "advance the timetable" on this if attacked.

Do you understand Israel's military power or the fact that they are a completely US backed force? Israel has 400+ nuclear warheads. They have one of the most powerful defensive armies in the world. They have been attacked from several fronts at once before and completely prevailed. The "Shia" armies won't touch Israel.

Oh, and the US would just sit by and watch as one of their closest allies is assaulted by Arab forces?

[edit on 17-10-2007 by Bugman82]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
My opinion is that Russia warning is been taking very very seriously. Enough is enough, this is most probably what the Russian leaders are saying to USA. You have your dog Israel as we have our Iran.
The Bush _Cheney government have played they cards and now they have been seen by they bluff. USA needs Iran badly for some great USA agenda, as many people know Iran is a very big country with 70 millions people. Controlling Iran will give energy security for some longtime to come. Russia and China will never let it happen, it is a matter of survival for them not geopolitics strategy. If US congress allow the administration to strike Iran then you can be sure that WW3 will start. Many US officer knows that attacking Iran will be the biggest gamble that USA would have to take since the last WW.
Now, someone I know is convince that USA will start something in Iran before this administration end because he believe that if they don’t do anything to Iran they may loose the relation with Turkey, as the latest news reveal possible cooperation with Iran and Turkey to tackle the Kurdish affair. If that is so and they succeed in doing some kind of relative good job against the Kurdish, then they may extend they relationship to other issue.
You can see how this administration as completely smashed years of UAS supremacy to now getting warning from a so called falling great power.

Kacou

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Bugman82

thats funny , the last time Israel went in 2006 in lebonan , 50 merkavas were totally blown up and reduced to scrap metal by hezobollah(using kornet and RPG-29) out thier 500 + tank force , and Israel failed in its mission ....

also syria and particularly Iran have a massive conventional missile force and syria has massive levels of chemical artillery near Israel's border , enough to ensure MAD

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join