It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any one used ubuntu operating systems?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
ubuntu is Linux based and I'm trying to get the operating system onto a formatted lappy hard drive in an attempt to get an old lap top of mine up and running.

The lappy (a fujitsu life book b142) has no built in cd drive, and the BIOS wont allow to boot of the USB one I got - so I'm using a USB caddy for the hard drive and trying to install that way.

I got the xbuntu version initially as it's supposed to be super slimed down so my old lappy should run at quite a pace - so I got the cd I made, booting into it fine (slow and hangs though) and I even unplug my C: so as not to accidentally install it there, xubuntu sees the lappy HD as a 20GB generic USB harddrive.

Go through the set up goes off to install and every time freezes at 15% grrrrrr! :bnghd:

Any ways DLing the standard ubuntu desktop now, see if that's any different. But does any one have experance of this OP sys? on paper looks good - designed for free dist in places like africa.

Peace

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
How much memory do you have in it? This shows that model oringinally comes with 32 MB, but ubuntu system requirements are:

"At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the desktop install CD".

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

I got this one with 128MB - must of prev been upgraded.

But I have the HD out of the lappy and using the 512 MB ram on my desk top for the installation. The lappy used to run XP with very few probs in the past - just tryin to beat the MS monster i suppose, gonna keep looking.

join