It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Condemns Dalai Lama US Trip

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   

China Condemns Dalai Lama US Trip

news.bbc.co.uk

Beijing has strongly urged US President George W Bush to cancel a planned meeting with the Dalai Lama, saying it would "seriously damage" relations.
Mr Bush is due to host Tibet's spiritual leader at the White House.

On Wednesday, Mr Bush is due to attend a ceremony at the US Capitol where the Dalai Lama will receive a Congressional Gold Medal, a top US civilian award.

It will be the first time a sitting president will have appeared in public with the 72-year-old Buddhist leader.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
newsbreak.com.au
www.newsalerts.com

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
This is controversial to the Chinese, and what the purpose of Bush meeting Dalai Lama, except for creating that controvercy, is hard to see. Maybe he hopes to win the heart of some peace loving Buddhist in the light of the monk demonstrations in Burma.

However Tibet's Communist Party lambasts the exiled spiritual leader for trying to "split the motherland". Is it a US recognision of Tibet's struggle for Indepence?

"We are furious," Party Secretary of Tibet, Zhang Qingli said. Concerning the honour of the medal, he said:

"If the Dalai Lama can receive such an award, there must be no justice or good people in the world."

Kind of flawed logic here, I think.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Yes, China did the same thing in Australia when the Dalai Lama visited.

I am relieved that the leaders in our Country met up with him regardless.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
What the HELL has GWB got in common with the serene,peace loving Dalai Lama?

This reeks of "photo oportunity."

I do wonder what the Dalai Lama will say to Bush though-could be interesting.
I remember years back reading about when he visited London-a journalist asked him"What do you think of civilisation in the west Dalai Lama?"

After a pause,he replied:

"I think it would be a very good idea."

What a guy.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I asked myself the same question, but in the present situation and in the light of what happened in Burma, it'll just make GWB look good and maybe mislead some people to believe he really is for peace and democracy.

I've seen Dalai Lama two times 30+ years back, once in Dharmsala where he stays and once in Copenhagen. The guy is hilarious, totally laid back and full of contagious joy. I think he can make even Dubaya laugh.

Would you believe when I tell that he cannot enter Denmark now? Because in the name of our all important trading partner, China, Denmark ceased recognizing Tibet, and our immigrations laws are cut that way visas cannot be issued to non-recognized countries. It's true, that's how disgraceful the Danish humanism has become.

Here's a link from his visit at Cornell Uni a week ago. He said there:

Achieving global peace must begin with each person attaining an inner peace first, the Dalai Lama told a capacity audience Tuesday at Cornell University.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

doesnt the Dalai Lama represent peace and so on?
why the hell is going to the united states to talk to a tyrant?

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The poor guy is at risk of de atomising when he meets GW-

Kind of like when matter and anti matter collide.

I hope you are right though Khumoon,that his infectious character rubs off on Bush somewhat...Just Imagine a press conferance at the rose garden,after they met:

"I GWB have decided to convert to Tibetan Bhuddism,because I have been a very,very naughty little boy indeed."

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Its obvious GWB is a shill president who is trying to get America hit with a foreign attack, I mean what an obviously easy way to innact martial law and oppress americans as elitists obviously want. In fact I will go so far as to imply China and bush were together on this one. Dont buy it at all.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mastermind77

Well, for me to see, it is gross provocation to China.

Could be to provoce such an attack, which I, despite my utmost distrust of the man, don't think.

I think he is grooming his image, trying to soften it a bit.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The Dalai Lama comes here every year fundraising. Believe me, if it's a photo op for anyone it's for him, not the president. Bush has nothing to gain by meeting with him.

[edit on 10/16/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

Yes, but it is the first time he is invited to the White House, and..

It is thought this will be the first time that a sitting US president has appeared with the Dalai Lama at a public event.

www.newsalerts.com...:top14:961713

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
No Photo Op (for anyone)

The White House is not going to release any pictures of President Bush and the Dalai Lama meeting apparently because of China's sensitivity to the issue.

edit:

OK, now I think I understand the story. The Dalai Lama already has met with Bush privately at the White House and this is not the first time he's done so.

Bush will be in attendance at the U.S. Capitol when the Congress gives him the medal but he will have no role in the ceremonies.

[edit on 10/17/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The fact that the meeting is going to occur at all is significant and a message to the one's who would "hear". Kind of like diplomatic-fingernails on a chalkboard. Hey, look what I can do that you don't like or can do anything about. Symbolic tokenism and tactical, not strategic. Theatre. Calculating and a kind of daring. Not business as usual.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mastermind77

Nah, there won't be an attack on your American soil; it's not China's style. Cyber-attacks are a different animal altogether and that's fair game since every side that's of any significance does it.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
No photo Op huh djohnsto77?

www.guardian.co.uk...

newsinfo.inquirer.net...

Agence France-Presse
Last updated 01:47am (Mla time) 10/18/2007

"WASHINGTON--US President George W. Bush made an unprecedented public appearance with the Dalai Lama on Wednesday at a Congress ceremony honoring the Tibetan spiritual leader.

The Dalai Lama was flanked by Bush and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi at the ceremony granting him the Congressional Gold Medal, the highest civilian award bestowed by US lawmakers, despite strong objections from China."

[edit on 17-10-2007 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This is like Darth Vader vs Obi Wan Kenobi...

I hope Dalai Lama doesnt get any permanent soul damage from meeting him...

Here is the Sith Lord: Giuliani...

[edit on 17-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This event has nothng to do with Bush's soul, or with the Dalai Lama de-atomising. It has to do with China getting a case of agita because they have a bug up their butt over the Dalai.

Sorry if it hurts you feelings, China. I'm sure you'll get over it. Meanwhile, don't be telling us who we can and cannot invite to the WH.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Yeah, I guess he did hand him the award.

Forget everything I said in this thread.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I really don't see where it's any of China's business.. They exiled the Dalai Lama many moons ago... The Dalai Lama is a good man who has been persecuted by the Chinese government for far too long.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Dalai Lama has the affection of the Tibetan people because of his endless love. His radiates joy. Not all the fear in the world can kill it. And the Chinese cannot kill it, no matter how much terror they inflict on the Tibetan people. That makes them mad.

Love conquers hate. Always.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join