It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calls for total gun ban by DPP, is this the future for US aswell?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   
G'day folks,

Some of the Australian member may have heard this today but because of another shooting in the state of South Australia, the director of Public Prosecutions has called for all guns to be banned, including all liscenced firearms.

www.news.com.au...

October 15, 2007 11:19am
Article from: The Advertiser

GUNS ownership should be completely banned in South Australia, Director of Public Prosecutions Stephen Pallaras claims.
Following a shooting in the city over the weekend Mr Pallaras said all guns should be made illegal.

"It seems to me we are slipping into a mode where by we are coming to accept this is the sort of behaviour that we should tolerate in this city," he told morning ABC radio.

"I think it is a time now while it is perhaps in its early stages to stamp on it hard.

"The answer is, in my view, gun control and gun eradication it is simply not enough to licence people with guns because that hasn't worked - people are still getting shot."

Thankfully, the State Government has seen the sense in this and not supported these calls, but for how long????? until a new government gets in that supports this issue or until another "Port Arthur Incident" takes place?

www.thewest.com.au...

16th October 2007, 7:55 WST

The South Australian government has rejected calls for a total ban on gun ownership across the state.

Police Minister Paul Holloway and Attorney-General Michael Atkinson said a total ban would disadvantage sporting shooters and farmers.

They said the government had already increased penalties for illegal gun use and gun-related crime was not on the rise.

Just thought it would make for interesting discussion topic for all ATS'ers here.......it would be a gross misjustice against democracy if they did suceed to take our legally owned firearms from us.

There'll always be those pushing for total gun bans and who knows, maybe one day they 'might' suceed, but no over our dead bodies!

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Gun control is always a topic in the US. I am of the impression that it will be a very very long time before they are able to pass anything that would ban all firearms.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Good luck in america, youll get shot just trying. Only joking there, or am I? Seriously though, unless you ban the constitution you will not get every gun. even then, the military and cops have weapons, the public doesnt, gee wiz, theres an easy target for enslavement! The people will never give up there guns until governments do.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

If they ever do, be prepared for a civil war because this will be sure to cause one. American gun owners, which is like 95% of the population, are not willing to give up their firearms.

[edit on 16-10-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
i think the DPP was more motivated by personal politics than reacting against the shooting. i am sure he wanted guns banned before the killing, and is just using this as an opratunity to exploit peoples emotions toward the victims.

luckily, it seems the government denied that request. but the reason behind that is "disadvantage farmers and sport shooters". get real man say "it would disadvantage some dissidents who don't want Australia to be ruled as a homogenous welfare state"

and in america, we have some more brain washing to do before we can ban weapons. if they tried it now, over half the military would start fighting the government, and that just cant happen.

new topics

top topics

join