It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxiing Jets Collide at Heathrow Airport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Taxiing Jets Collide at Heathrow Airport

news.bbc.co.uk

Two aircraft have collided while taxiing on the ground at Heathrow Airport in West London.

One was a British Airways Boeing 747 departing for Singapore and the other was a Sri Lankan Airlines Airbus A340.

Heathrow's operator, BAA, confirmed there had been an incident at around 2210 BST and there had been no reports of injuries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Apparently there were no injuries, although there is conflicting information on the amount of damage the planes suffered. Here on the BBC it seems to indicate minimal damage, but I'm hearing on FOX (via Sky) that there was significant damage to at least one of the aircraft, including an engine that fell off the plane.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/15/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
One gives pause to wonder how one would say "Oooops" in Sri-Lankan.

It's ok to laugh because, thanks be, no one was injured or killed.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   
would like to see some pics of this when the come available. Please post the link if you find it.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   
The winglet (the little vertical wing at the end of each main wing) on the BA 747 was severely damaged and the leading edge and underside of the A340 wing had some minor damage about 1 metre from the end. No engines fell off!

Have to love the way the press reports this as a "collision." This incident is on a par with two cars clipping wing mirrors!

shd

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Are you really surprised that Sky news said that a engine fell off, its almost as bad as I've heard fox news is. Least they got caught out on this one.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by shd

Haha. Too true. Remember their coverage of September 11th ?

"If you're just joining us, the entire eastern seaboard of the United States has just been decimated by a terrorist attack".

I'm glad no-one was hurt in this accident. Although I'm wondering if these bumps will become more common as larger aircraft (e.g. A380) come into service.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
This accident will give, those in charge of Heathrow, amunition behind the reasoning of building the new terminal they want. Are the people living and around the site proposed for the new terminal going to be suckers over all of this?

I certainly hope not.

I read on BBC news website that both the airplanes wing tips brushed against each other.

An eye-witness, aboard the Sri Lankan airliner, claimed it hit the BA aircraft from behind while manoeuvring on the runway.

Link To Source

There is passenger statements over the collision, on the bbc video player on the same page.

Lets all just be happy that there was no inuries or deaths over this.

top topics

join