It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haliburton on 60 minutes

page: 1

join
share:
tr

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
On 60 minutes tonight It was revealed how Haliburton is not cooperating with the state treasurer of Texas and how Haliburton and some state pension funds are "trading with the enemy" to use the 60 minutes language.
Terrorist nations are making big bucks from US companies . These countries include Iran, syria, Sudan. So I don't feel like ATS users are off base when we say- BUSHCO and Haliburton are the terrorists.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I don't see this company finishing this year. They will be liquidated as soon as Mr. Dick takes it back over. Too much bad press, and the slur campaign have put a bad image on them.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
1. This is total liberal propaganda and yellow journalism at its peak. To do "business" is not to support anything other than your own bottom line. To twist commerce into an allegation of terrorist support is almost criminal. That this is very opportunistic in timing - for the democrats - cannot be ignored even by the blindest.

2. Halliburton will do fine. They'll do even better when Cheney backs off the Republican ticket. But they'll do fine if he doesn't. "Bad Press" doesn't hurt near as bad when you aren't relying on the general populace as your market.

3. To state that Halliburton company is the terrorists is not only legally a bad move, but a bit evident of lack of knowledge on the whole thing. To state that the President is a terrorist goes way past that bad.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
"Halliburton declined 60 Minutes' request for an interview, but in an e-mail, the company indicated it has no intention of leaving Iran -- or addressing the questions we raised about the independence of its subsidiary.

The company did suggest that Comptroller Thompson is playing politics with pension funds, insisting there is no connection between its operations in Iran and either terrorism or nuclear research.

As for General Electric and Conoco-Phillips, they say they are breaking no laws, and like Halliburton, make no apologies for their business dealings with states that sponsor terrorism."

There you go.

tr

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
If you support terrorists you are a terrorist. If you provide aid and comfort to the enemy, you are a terrorist. I did not say that President Bush and John Ashcroft said that.
And 60 minutes said what they said. That's all I'm saying.
Yellow Journalism. Hmmm. WTF is that?
If doing business with the enemy is "Just supporting your bottom line" why is it wrong to sell guns to convicts. After all convicts were only supporting their bottom line when they robbed and killed the convenient store clerk, for instance.

[Edited on 25-1-2004 by tr]

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tr

Look it up - grow a dendrite.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
1. This is total liberal propaganda and yellow journalism at its peak. To do "business" is not to support anything other than your own bottom line. To twist commerce into an allegation of terrorist support is almost criminal. That this is very opportunistic in timing - for the democrats - cannot be ignored even by the blindest.

2. Halliburton will do fine. They'll do even better when Cheney backs off the Republican ticket. But they'll do fine if he doesn't. "Bad Press" doesn't hurt near as bad when you aren't relying on the general populace as your market.

3. To state that Halliburton company is the terrorists is not only legally a bad move, but a bit evident of lack of knowledge on the whole thing. To state that the President is a terrorist goes way past that bad.

Regarding 1, 2 & 3 above, Bush is the one that made it clear that money that supports terror and money that supports countries that support terror would NOT be tolerated. He's opened up his own can of whoopp-ass on himself. That is journalism...the only yellow I see is Halliburton not commenting on this directly. I'm tired of these powerful corporations setting up their schemes all over creation to skirt the laws that other, smaller American companies have to abide by. Bush said those that harbor and support the terror trade are in essence terrorists. By that definition...Halliburton is supporting terrorists. That makes'em terrorists. According to Bush.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Actually, that's not true. And if you are serious that you can take the mandates from the administration and pull that out of them, I'm worried about you.

The statements made by the administration were toward aiding (financially or otherwise), harboring, fomenting, nurturing or promoting terrorism.

Commerce cannot be twisted into the above statement. Not unless your commerce is terrorism. Servicing an oilwell in Iran does not fund terrorism, nor does it buy a bed for a terrorist, nor does it establish a scholarship fund to send a trainee to a terrorism camp. What it actually does it transfer money FROM a potential terrorist country TO an American company. Explain to me how that promotes terrorism?

Major bull# call applies here.

And I'm glad to see that all three companies named had executives intelligent enough to see the political BS in this and wave them off.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I have to call wombat# on the allegations that Haliburton are terrorists. Business is business, and in order to have oil, you have to be where the oil is, even if it is in Iran or other "terrorist states".

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tr

The term yellow journalism comes from late 19th and early 20th century Amerikan journalism. They are news rags printed full of horse# stories on paper that is so cheap that it is yellow in color. Look it up in an Amerikan history book. At least that's what my Amerikan History teacher and book told me.

[Edited on 25-1-2004 by kaoszero]

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by tr

Look it up - grow a dendrite.

Come on now! If you don't admonish him to carry it out to the ganglia level nothing good will come of it!

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Really?

Here's the latest tally:

Halliburton Corruption in Nigeria
Paris, a French judge has reportedly warned that Vice pResident Dick Cheney could be charged over allegations that his former company, Halliburton, paid $180 million in bribes to build a Nigerian gas plant. Other allegations are abundant: Nigerian prosecutors also have been investigating a disclosure by Halliburton that an official of Kellogg Brown & Root allegedly paid $2.4 million to a Nigerian official in 2001 in return for lower taxes...
Nigeria also is following the French probe into allegations that a consortium involving Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root paid about $180 million to win a contract to build the $4 billion-plus Nigerian Liquefied Natural Gas plant in the mid-1990s.

Cheney was head of Halliburton for five of the seven years during which the secret payments were allegedly made.

www.kansas.com...

Judge raises award in suit against Halliburton, Ramco
A judge has tacked on an additional $35.6 million to an existing judgment against Houston-based Halliburton Energy Services Inc., Scotland-based Ramco Energy Plc, and Ramco Oil Ltd. for violating confidentiality contracts over the development of an oil field in Kazakhstan.

houston.bizjournals.com...

Report: Halliburton staff took kickbacks

The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that Halliburton Co. has told the Pentagon that two employees pocketed up to $6 million in kickbacks for awarding a Kuwaiti-based company with work supplying U.S. troops in Iraq.

The Journal added that the disclosure is the first convincing sign of corruption involving U.S.-funded projects in Iraq and could expose the Houston-based oilfield services firm to fines and potential fraud charges.

houston.bizjournals.com...

Point of reference: For the Wall St. Journal to even offer as conjecture that some corporate entity is corrupt speaks volumes......coporate wrong doing is traditionally a killed off topic with the WSJ.

We are most definetly in the renissance of Yellow Journalism.......but not for the reasons you suppose. Think to the myriad of fawning " Bush is a great president" fluff pieces about our naked emperor.

new topics

top topics

join