It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High-Fructose Corn Syrup -- Another Poison in Common Foods

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Accoding to this: en.wikipedia.org... there's no conclusive evidence one way or another for aspartame. Personally I don't like the taste of artificial sweetners, and here in the UK HFCS is all but unknown - our soft drinks are sweetened with real sugar because in the free world it's much cheaper than HFCS. I don't think anyone can argue with the idea that we should eat as little synthetic stuff as possible, but there's no conclusive clinical evidence that aspartame or MSG or whatever is actually bad in some demonstrable way.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

Ed, LOL. That is why I am still desperatly trying to lose weight. I don't want to be harvested!

I question research (all research, it's what higher education teaches you to do). So the jury is still out on how bad HFCS is for your system, or isn't. What needs to be explored more, I think, is just how MUCH soda and HFCS the general populace consumes. even if the stuff is not inherently bad for you, someone drinking 3-4 sodas a day is getting a ridiculous amount of thier calories from soda. These, I would bet, turn into excess calories as most people don't offset the excessive caloric intake of soda by putting down the french fries. That is why people are chubbing up so much. Just siply getting WAY too many calories and then not buring any of them.
I always noticed too that when I drank alot of soda I felt hungrier. So I wonder if HFCS is maybe processed poorly by the system and makes your brain think "lord I'm hungry" so you just consume more.

Lastly, I think it is funny that California is now IMPORTING Coke from Mexico. This is because their is a big putpouring of support to get the "Real Thing" back. In Mexico they don't use HFCS, only cane sugar. If absolutley nothing else, cane sugar soda TASTES a lot better than HFCS sweetned soda. Here is a link talking about it.
Obs out!
Good conversation BTW!

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by anhinga

Funny you mention that Beachcoma, between honey and maple syrup -- those are probably two of the only 'sweeteners' that aren't bad for you!

You are forgetting Stevia

One of my mother's friend makes some grow in her garden during the summer. You just pick a leaf and eat it. She grounds some dried leaves, and uses them in place of sugar in her recipes. It's better than both honey and maple syrup, because there's absolutely no sugar in it. It's just more complicated to get in bigger quantities.

I heard they are going to commercialize a stevia-based sweetener in some time. They are probably going to mix it up with a ton of chemical products and render it totally useless.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I skimmed through the replies...

I have noticed something about eating healthy it's more expensive to eat healthy than to eat junk. HFCS is cheap and that's what makes the food industry put it on almost everything. If you really think about it it's a hard issue to abolish HFCS on daily foods that are made here in the US. Also, GMOs are also a big problem because that also affects our organism.

So, really it's all about the money.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
A couple things you may want to know; honey you buy in the store is PROCESSED! They heat it up a lot to not gum up their machinery, but that also kills all the live organisms. Natural, unprocessed honey has stuff in it that KILLS the organisms that secrete the acid that eats your teeth. Really fast cavities. Also, you can add xylitol and that also kills those bacteria. However, your body can only handle a little xylitol without giving you the two steps. Two steps from the bathroom,and you're dead. But xylitol is a sweetener as well, and you build tolerance for the, um, side effects. I add a few teaspoons to my mouthwash, used after I brush. (my teeth, not my hair!) Sugar and fructose both spike your blood sugar, giving you the 'high', then a rapid 'low'. Cinnamon puts a stop to that. I add a little to my coffee, and to my ice cream. If you don't like cinnamon, you can always poke yourself in the arm with a needle for the rest of your life. Your choice. Oh, and it can also be used to get diabetics off insulin. I'd say to consult your doctor, but he only wants to sell you insulin, and his 'care'. If you MUST go to a doctor, go to a naturopath. The AMA is another 'conspiracy' thread needed.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I am sure this has been stated, but my problem with the HFCS is that it's in EVERYTHING - I mean, I look at all of the labels and try to feed my family fast and everything's got it. It's really discouraging. I think I maybe should consult with a dietician. I think my insurance pays for it for a couple of visits. It really will take some dedication and some OCD to get rid of HFCS.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl

2.) Aspartame really only affects one group of people? I personally doubt it, regardless of what any scientist says. The warning is on there for a reason, and obviously it is a highly synthesized material regardless of what it was originally composed of.

Aspartame is possibly harmful to Phenylketonurics, who are persons allergic to phenylalanine, simply because it is made with that amino acid. One must decide for one's self whether a product meets their needs. I have my opinions and others have theirs. It is not my intention to plug any product as safe because it is my choice.

[edit on 10/16/2007 by TheAvenger]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MinHawk
Yeah, I know that in many cases, people hide ingredients, or just outright lie about them. You have to wonder why this isn't seriously being regulated.

What if, say, you're allergic to MSG or something? I've never heard of anyone being so, but theoretically, it could happen, right? And then, someone could be sued for not properly labelling their ingredients.

Well, thing is, in regards to labeling MSG under various other names, the FDA has approved this, so it is perfectly legal. I guess someone could sue, but it'd probably get thrown out, because it would be extrememly difficult to single out and prove a particular ingredient, such as MSG, caused the harm.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamiros
I have noticed something about eating healthy it's more expensive to eat healthy than to eat junk.

Very true. It's more expensive to eat healthy because the junk food contains artificial ingredients that are meant to take the place of natural ones at a cheaper price.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
The US is one of the most hypocritical bodys on the planet for food additives, sugars and any thing else that goes into food. Alot of bad additives have been banned in the US yet they are still one of the biggest distributors of these bad chemicals, they know what they do yet they still give them to other countrys. But at the same time find other chemiclas that arnt as bad and give them to the MASSIVE average joe in america. I feel sorry for most the yanks, you carnt get away from additives.

One of the reasons why organic is more expensive is because the farmer looses alot more crop from insects and other things that can reduce the amount of good crop. He/she has to rise the prices or go out of buiness.

ProTo

[edit on 17-10-2007 by ProTo Fire Fox]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAvenger

Originally posted by Kacen
I'll take my chances with the diet soda.

If aspartame really is dangerous, I would have had problems a long time ago. I constantly drink diet soda; and I'd rather risk seizures than get fatter, any day.

Aspartame is the methyl ester of aspartic acid and phenylalanine. These are two of the 20 amino acids that make up the proteins in your body. I have serious doubts that aspartame would be harmful to most people, (though there is one small group that cannot tolerate it) and it is my sweetener of choice also.

[edit on 10/16/2007 by TheAvenger]

From my personal reading on research and listening to people doing the heavy lifting in finding facts, these particular amino acids and their analogs if consumed in quantity can cause healthy neurons to overwork and die sooner than the bodies warranty promises. The resulting effects can be varied in individuals depending on those particular neurons jobs and the amount of damage inflicted if any.

The amino acids are particularly suited to "stimulating" receptors in the body, like tastes and other olfactory functions. Remember the Monosodium Glutamate battles in the health field? Well, that is also an amino acid I believe. That worked to "Bring out or enhance flavor" in the human palate by upping the amplitude in tastebuds information to the brain. I remember Adolf's Meat Tenderizer was a product that was popular since the 60s and pure MSG with salt and spices. I forget the many issues with that, but suffice it to say, there where other effects that where concern to everyone.

ZG

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gregarious
A couple things you may want to know; honey you buy in the store is PROCESSED! They heat it up a lot to not gum up their machinery, but that also kills all the live organisms. Natural, unprocessed honey has stuff in it that KILLS the organisms that secrete the acid that eats your teeth. Really fast cavities. Also, you can add xylitol and that also kills those bacteria. However, your body can only handle a little xylitol without giving you the two steps. Two steps from the bathroom,and you're dead. But xylitol is a sweetener as well, and you build tolerance for the, um, side effects. I add a few teaspoons to my mouthwash, used after I brush. (my teeth, not my hair!) Sugar and fructose both spike your blood sugar, giving you the 'high', then a rapid 'low'. Cinnamon puts a stop to that. I add a little to my coffee, and to my ice cream. If you don't like cinnamon, you can always poke yourself in the arm with a needle for the rest of your life. Your choice. Oh, and it can also be used to get diabetics off insulin. I'd say to consult your doctor, but he only wants to sell you insulin, and his 'care'. If you MUST go to a doctor, go to a naturopath. The AMA is another 'conspiracy' thread needed.

Good info and accurate to my experience too. Valid warning also. Plan for health, not based on illusions the FDA and other crooked food manufacturers and big pharm agency's poison our knowledge with, they bowing to kickbacks for profit and private gains through dubious associations.

BTW, Does anyone remember that it was former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld who worked for the company and was the front-man in announcing the new product Aspartame? Do I smell a rat?

ZG

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAvenger

For a hoot, check this out and then the source. We get our information about such substances as HFCS from profiting entities like... well, check it out.

HFCS benifits?

Benefits of HFCS?? Yea, right.

ZG

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroGhost

Definitely, nice find. That site is quite humorous. If they need to create a website almost completely dedicated to defending their product, well then that can't be good. And I like how in the articles in the "New Research" section, they make it sound as if drinking lots of soda doesn't negatively effect your health, because, according to someone's research, evidence is "lacking to implicate HFCS as unique cause of obesity". As if obesity is the only concern anyways. Ever considered diabetes as being an increasingly huge problem in America? It is right up there with obesity.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Well since Ketchup is full of additives and Anti Cancerous Chemicals Simultaneously I guess it all balances out.

I think the key point here, is I know Soda is Bad for me.
But I'd much rather die young drinking and eating what I like when I like and doing what I want, then live long and do nothing in fear of being killed.

If your gonna die, die living! w00t

[edit on 21-10-2007 by Chowzor]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Update, argument should end here:

www.femhealth.com...

In a recent chemical analysis of eleven carbonated soft drinks sweetened with HFCS, researchers from Rutgers U. found very high levels of reactive carbonyls.

Reactive carbonyls, which have been linked to tissue damage and complications of diabetes, are elevated in the blood of people with diabetes. A single can of soda, however, has five times that concentration of reactive carbonyls. Old-fashioned table sugar, on the other hand, has no reactive carbonyls.

[edit on 4-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Update, argument should end here:

www.femhealth.com...

I just noticed that article is hosted on a store and without being attributed to its author or listing its sources. And then there’s this at the bottom of the page:

Copyright © 1997-2007, Femhealth. All rights reserved.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent disease. Consult a health professional if you have any questions.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This article DOES NOT require purchase to read:
www.femhealth.com...

Look through this thread, it's all in there about how the FDA approves for money, special-interest without even testing these products.

Here's some more, a different site:

www.westonaprice.org...

Today Americans consume more HFCS than sugar.

There's a couple of other murky things that consumers should know about HFCS. According to a food technology expert, two of the enzymes used, alpha-amylase and glucose-isomerase, are genetically modified to make them more stable.

But there's another reason to avoid HFCS. Consumers may think that because it contains fructose--which they associate with fruit, which is a natural food--that it is healthier than sugar. A team of investigators at the USDA, led by Dr. Meira Field, has discovered that this just ain't so.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

This article DOES NOT require purchase to read:
www.femhealth.com...

Look through this thread, it's all in there about how the FDA approves for money, special-interest without even testing these products.

Here's some more, a different site:

www.westonaprice.org...

Today Americans consume more HFCS than sugar.

There's a couple of other murky things that consumers should know about HFCS. According to a food technology expert, two of the enzymes used, alpha-amylase and glucose-isomerase, are genetically modified to make them more stable.

But there's another reason to avoid HFCS. Consumers may think that because it contains fructose--which they associate with fruit, which is a natural food--that it is healthier than sugar. A team of investigators at the USDA, led by Dr. Meira Field, has discovered that this just ain't so.

No, you missed my point.

The site is biased, and the article is unreliable. The proprietor of the site specifically tells you that you shouldn’t take it as medical advice.

[edit on 11/4/2007 by NRen2k5]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Personally, it's a good site, you DO NOT have to PAY for articles and guess what, I shop in stores sometimes, I know, shocking, isn't it?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join