It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High-Fructose Corn Syrup -- Another Poison in Common Foods

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I'm filing this under "pseudoscience". I agree with another poster, I'm "underweight", as far as the official guidelines go, but healthy, I've been inhaling HFCS like there's no tomorrow practically since I was weaned.

If there's ANY adverse health effects to this stuff, I haven't seen it.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Uber, you really should try to avoid it, weight being a side note, it's
not good for you!

Some of the problems associated with high fructose corn syrup:

Increased LDL's (the bad lipoprotein) leading to increasedrisk of heart disease.

Altered Magnesium balance leading to increased osteoporosis.

Increased risk of Adult Onset Diabetes Mellitus.

Fructose has no enzymes or vitamins thus robbing the body ofprecious micro-nutrients.

Fructose interacts with birth control pills and can elevateinsulin levels in women on the pill.

Accelerated aging.

Fructose inhibits copper metabolism leading to a deficiencyof copper, which can cause increased bone fragility, anemia, ischemic heart disease and defective connective tissue formation among others.

SOURCE

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by uberarcanist

Everybody is different. You maybe have genetics that keep you skinny. And because you're skinny doesn't necessarily mean you're "healthy" or that those foods don't have adverse effects to your health because you don't gain "weight." I do have friends that eat everything in their path and don't gain a pound. For the majority of people it's not that way. Obesity among another of health related illnesses can be contributed to poor diets alone.

It's common sense really. You eat poorly, you perform poorly.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Yanqui U.X.O was my soundtrack to discovering ATS, so yeah it had a pretty huge impact on me at the time. You can imagine eyes peeled to a monitor, dreading alien visitation and shadow government mind control. Being paranoid never felt so cool though.

Back on topic... i've decided to begin lessening my HFCS intake, starting today. I'm going to see if I can last more than 2 days without a coke and see if I can even notice/list the side effects. I've been drinking my sister's pure filtered water (ice mountain, supposedly natural spring water but i'll look it up to see if it's actually re-bottled tap water), and will continue to do so.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Great album, I think "...skinny fists" is their best and the ep is really good too.... a fan of all the Constellation stuff personally.

As per the topic, try to replace w/ green teas or even coffee as I've mentioned before, it's a good way to avoid the headaches, caffeine is one of the most
addictive substances, I can't break free from it totally, but I think I have it under control instead of the other way around. . . .

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by uberarcanist

Oh yeah... "Psuedoscience." Haha.. Please.

I'm scrambling for a book right now that I can't seem to find. As soon as I do, I'll find it on Amazon.com or something and U2U it over to you. You would be blown away by the information in the book. It wouldn't be very smart to call it a false science based on you eating poorly and not gaining weight. That's ignorance to say the least. The benefits of live foods is very real and so are the detrimental effects of eating processed food. Ask 40% of the overweight nation.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by rationalgaze

It's cool you guys are into GYBE. I didn't know there was anyone here under 34 who wasn't here exclusively for Alien talk. Haha.. There's hope yet.

And I don't want to be the jerk but I would get Distilled. Filtered is a loose term and you know the big guys.. They'll get away with the lowest standards possible. Distilled is absolute though.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Yeah, I've loved the drone stuff since the Tony Conrad/Terry Riley days, I think those Canadians do it great and am always looking for music like that.

As per water, that's another under-discussed topic -- a gallon a day! The body is mostly water, I forget the percentage but I know it's over 70% -- I know a lot of people that once they started drinking the right amount of water a day, they started feeling more healthy.

And smokers, soda drinkers need to have more then a gallon since you're ingesting things that are dehydrating.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I'm 19, which is why this info is pretty new and important to me. I'm actually amazed I'm posting here, I hold alot of respect for you guys. I feel alot of people are lurking and not posting anything, but I don't blame them, stuff gets pretty serious and peoples' egos are on the line.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by rationalgaze

I'm 21 myself but always ready to go to war. I used to vist once a day.. Once every 2 days.. I'm on here 4 or 5 hours a day if not more. It's addictive because it's the epitome of the "information superhighway." It's this mecca of political information that you'd never find anywhere else. You have news watchdogs in ever part of the world ready to jump on s***. I love politics and there's nothing that rivals the political tap of ATS.com. There's some of the most genius people I've ever seen write on here, especially on some of the physics and technology related posts.. It will actually explode your whole face off just reading it.

Feel free to hit me up on myspace. Myspace.com/dayruiner

I'm not all serious. But I have to get my jerk on when I log in to ATS.

[edit on 15-10-2007 by DeadFlagBlues]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Heh, funny how you people are all talking about ''addictive substance this'' side-effects that.

I have had ZERO side effects and I'm quite the ''fast food'' person.
This includes being on perfect weight, having zero headaches no matter how long I deprive myself from caffeïne, oh, and a big extensive health test has been performed on me with blood testing, blood pressure measurement, etc.

Everything was perfect.

But I guess that too is to blame on my genes, and that there might be *gasp* side-effects in the 4th dimension that neither I nor doctors can even perceive.

[edit on 15/10/07 by -0mega-]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

I'm pretty certain genes play a crucial role in diet and tolerance to this or that food product.

Genes may make some people more motivated to eat, perhaps overeat

Science has found one likely contributor to the way that some folks eat to live and others live to eat. Researchers at the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, have found that people with genetically lower dopamine, a neurotransmitter that helps make behaviors and substances more rewarding, find food to be more reinforcing than people without that genotype. In short, they are more motivated to eat and they eat more.

Study finds that people are programmed to love chocolate

For the first time, scientists have linked the all-too-human preference for a food — chocolate — to a specific, chemical signature that may be programmed into the metabolic system and is detectable by laboratory tests. The signature reads ‘chocolate lover’ in some people and indifference to the popular sweet in others, the researchers say.

[...]

“We know that some people can eat a diet that is high in steak and carbs and generally remain healthy, while the same food in others is unhealthy,” he explains. “Knowing one’s metabolic profile could open-the-door to dietary or nutritional interventions that are customized to your type so that your metabolism can be nudged to a healthier status.”

I'm that type. Enjoying it while I can

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
i just had to laugh at the north korea reference. there's no obesity there because they're all starving. They live in their own bubble and they don't produce enough food to feed their population.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I do not mind these thread but isn't this like telling people that cigarettes are bad. I would guess that almost everyone knows that many food additives and preservatives are not the most healthy thing on the planet. The problem is, at least for me, is that natural food and vegetarian diets taste awful. I go to a gym and work out a lot and people try to push me on healthy all natural products that taste like I am eating paper. I like fast foods. I drink soda with artificial sweeteners. I eat lots of meat in my diet. I drink alcohol on occasion. I like foods and drinks that taste good. I do not have any side effects from eating these foods. I do work out daily and besides my knees which are shot from decades of running I stay in pretty good shape. The food that gives me the most problems like causing me to add weight around the holidays and upsetting my stomach if I eat too many is a natural food, Peanuts. I love peanuts but for whatever reason any kind of nut in my diet will give me some problems. Maybe the key is moderation. If you are drinking 100 cans of soda a week then your problems might not be that soda is bad but that you are drinking 100 cans of it a week. Same with any other food. It has always been my experience that I can eat anything I want in moderation and exercise regularly and I stay healthy.

[edit on 15-10-2007 by zerotime]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I used to work for a health insurance company, and after seeing data that showed a direct link between HFSC and obesity and diabetes, I haven't let either of my children have any of it since birth.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by zerotime

Don't take this as self righteousness or anything but you're not only screwing up your body by everything you're eating. You're individual actions are taking it's toll on the environment in it's enirety. You should really look into where the meat comes from to make your burger. The disgusting facts about diary. And the long term artificial sweetners have on parts of your brain, kidneys, and colon. It's amazing the kind of damage these can do over time.

It is a lot like telling people about the dangers of tobacco. Not only do you present it the same way, it's also met with the same "I know it's bad for me, but it feels good." Same way with food.

And I don't know what or where you've been eaten but I can throw some Vegan food together that has even converted my carnivorous friends. The "tasteless" argument doesn't fly with me because it's so... Selfish? Ignorant? Short sighted? It's not that you don't see it, it's that you don't want to see it. To each his own.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by an0maly33
i just had to laugh at the north korea reference. there's no obesity there because they're all starving. They live in their own bubble and they don't produce enough food to feed their population.

Tends to happen with a red, white, and blue noose around your neck for not being submissive to those around you with the same capabilities.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
The "tasteless" argument doesn't fly with me because it's so... Selfish? Ignorant? Short sighted?

Not properly informed would be the best, me thinks. Lookit, this is what they eat in Indonesia:

Tempeh

Yummy! I can survive purely on this. But since I've got meat as an option still... let me be selfish for a bit longer

Edit to add:

Baked Tempeh with Dijon Sauce and Roasted Veggies

*Source

*drool*

I'm gonna fix something to eat. Again.

[edit on 15-10-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

That's rough. But hey, you know how I feel about this. Everyone's cramming burgers in their mouth and I'm just asking for a little moderation. I'm ready to help anybody that wants some footing on where to start with vegetarianism or veganism.

If you happen to wonder over to the darkside, you let me know, buddy.

[edit on 15-10-2007 by DeadFlagBlues]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

In Asia burgers are not the staple. Rice is. Here's a typical meal in Asia:

Nasi Kandar

*Source

Notice how the rice is disproportionately more than the chicken? That's kind of how the meals are. Sometimes there is no meat, though, it's more like this:

Nasi Kerabu

*Source

That's perfect for a vegan. It's blue tinted rice (from a flower) mixed with all kinds of herbs with sweet aroma along with beansprouts. All natural, all organic, some parts from the jungle. Yummy!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join