It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banks May Pool Billions to Avert Securities Sell-Off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Banks May Pool Billions to Avert Securities Sell-Off

www.nytimes.com

Several of the world’s biggest banks are in talks to put up about $75 billion in a backup fund that could be used to buy risky mortgage securities and other assets, a move designed to ease pressure on a crucial part of the credit markets that threatens the broader economy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-10-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Hi! I saw this article in Sunday's NYT in the cover section hidden
away from the usual, human interest stories that plague the Sunday newspapers as well as advertisements.

Been reading a lot about the subprime/credit collapse, think it could even hold out until late next year as this pace from some banks/lenders cooking the books for another 2 terms/cycles.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I actually am very concerned about this. I too read it, but took a different point of view on it. As I am not a trader anymore, got burned out back in 2002. Still involved, still in Manhattan, just not on wall street anymore. Maybe I should change my name......NAH....

Well, to me this is a bit ominous. I have a feeling they know whats coming. I am not pointing to ANYTHING RELATED TO THE NWO here, so don't don't go saying the US has to be bakrupted for the NWO to take over.

I think, that if these banks are working hand in hand with the advice of the treasury, they are in it for one reason and one reason only.........saving their ass. Not even for profit, although, profit will be had.

I think, they see whats on the horizon....the credit crunch ahs the ability to collapse more than 1 MAJOR BANK\BROKERAGE. Not the American economy, mind you.

After reading this, I do not agree that it is similar to the talks that took place in the 1990's surrounding Long Term Capital Management. These talks are more like the talks that took place in 1929-1930 when the US Governemnt begged JP Morgan (the person, not the bank) to step up and save the US Stock Market. There is a tremendous sprial effect that can take place with an un-winding credit economy. We have long known that our economy is credit driven, but we let it get way out of control in the last 10 years, with essentially free money. Interest rates were so low in the US, that the real interest rates were actually negative for some investors. Low, low loans that could be deposited in regular institutions, yileding the risk free rate in return would actually come out ahead of the interest, once inflation was taken into account. In short you could borrow money to make money.

Banks don;t work together unless its for a good reason. The Treasury or the Fed requesting it, is not a good reason. There is something more. Something has lead them to believe this would beenfit them. I am a firm believer in a big market sell off, and actually predicted it to a few friends tot ake place this month. In September, banks tipped their hands and started releasing infomration about potential write-downs and charge offs related to their credit losses. The markets rallied on those days, because the offenders were coming clean. I do not believe that is all they have to show. They are still hiding things.

On top of this.......This "slush" fund will be held off the banks books. How is does that make any bank something worthy of investing in.

Sorry people...I just don't buy this. I say its bad news.

By the way, the market sell off I see, is not huge, but it is worth being worried. Dow Jones should trade down to 12,250. S&P should go to 1250. These are great inflections spots. Corrections could be made and markets would strengthen due to cyclicality.

If the FED had not intervened with that ridiculous .50 point cut in the FED funds rate, we ould have hit these spots already and a smooth correction could be on the way. Instead, after breaking out to new highs on expectations of future rate cuts that I do not believe will happen, the market will fall again, this time making people throw their hands up and lose trust in the markets again. Capitulation...thats what we called in on wall street. These are good things, healthy things for a market. Thats why people are told to be in it for the long run and only invest money you are willing to throw out the window and not jump after.

Just my 2 cents, recently reduces to 1.67425 cents thatnks to the falling dollar. (BY THE WAY....THE FALLING DOLLAR.....THATS A GOOD THING).

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is a very bad thing for the markets!!!!

Expect a sell off!

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
By the way....why is this in the Politics section? It has nothing to do with politics!!!!!!!

top topics

join