It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush 'planted fake news stories on American TV'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   
There's a good book called 'The Violent Decade' by Frank Gervasi that talks a lot about this same thing, governments producing there own fake news reports. The rest of that books title is 'A Foreign Corespondent in Europe and the Middle East 1939-1945'...

So yes I'm also surprised by the 'shocked' replies. This has been going on as long as there's been a press. That's why the media seemed to play such a big part in the 9-11 cover-up for example. They broadcast what they're given without question cause they are a business, and as long as they're turning a profit nothing else matters.

It's really naive to think the media cares about the truth. Just like everything else capitalism has sucked the medias soul dry. It no longer cares about you...

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Actually this came out several years ago and there was something of a stink about it, then the story just disappeared.

It really is proof that bush minors power is in decline that this is now being investigated.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The Administration knows that the peoples will just more along and nothing will be done.

Let's face it when our President says, our Constitution is nothing but a God dammed piece of paper and the people didn't say or do a thing about it shows that they can say and do anything and get away with it.

apc

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Journalism has gone down the gutters.

It was never out of them.

"I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it."

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."

"Advertisements... contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper."

- Thomas Jefferson

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I was going to say, I've been aware of this for some time. It's one of the jaw droppers in my opinion. I'm still outraged. Media Matters has been sending me news alerts about this for years.

In May 2004, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) determined that the Bush administration violated federal law by releasing television "news segments" that favorably depicted a new Medicare law -- without indicating that the government created and paid for the segments. On January 6, the GAO announced that the Bush administration again broke the law by producing similar "news segments" about drug use, saying the segments "constitute covert propaganda" because they did not identify the government as the source of the materials. The GAO added that the administration "made it impossible for the targeted viewing audience to ascertain that these stories were produced by the government."

mediamatters.org...

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Smelling the coffee are we. Nothing new, same Sugar Honey Iced Tea, different day....

ie:

A NY Post Front Page story today about how there was a 10 day delay due to legal holdups in attaining a wiretap on 'al queda' suspects in relation to a kidnapped soldier.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Not to mention that the government is the only source of all the vital information shown on the news. War, economics, statistics, vital information, all from the government.

They're laughing, they can do whatever they want and it's so easy. It's a well-oiled machine, they don't have do to anything.

[edit on 15-10-2007 by Atlantix]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Yeah and reporters in bed with the troops...
I mean embedded... sorry.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

It has been going on for ages,and it ain't just the TV,but the net,the radio,the papers etc.
Good to oppose this I agree-most of the news the last few years on the MSM has been so blatantly biased it would almost be funny...if it wasn't so pro war,pro corporations,pro greedy sick governments.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
As undesirable as this is, the administration and the companies didn't do anything legally wrong. Instead, the error is on the part of the broadcasters who want to inflate their bottom line and not include the name of the producer of the piece.

In the future, violation of this policy must result in sanctions against the producers as well as the broadcasters.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Where money and influence meet you will always find the hand of those who run things; its just the nature of the beast. As some posters have already pointed out nothing will be done about this, the investigation will be buried under piles of crap in the news, and the final results wont even make the back page of the Sunday paper. The real truth of it all is that all forms of media are biased; every website, newspaper, radio show and television program is slanted towards an agenda and always will be, its human nature to want to further our plans so its no surprise to find such manipulations in every media outlet under the sun.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Govt. Media manipulation is to be expected but what surprises me is for the average citizen to suck up the lies; no questions. Blind obedience to the PTB.

Sitting around the Jacuzzi at my gym with the old farts; sheep being herded and protected by the big Shepard. No descent, just blind acceptance to the lies.

I find it astonishing that the right wing can still use the media as a left leaning rally point. "Drive by Media" right!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Wow, could it be???

G.W.Bush is doing something behind our backs????

What an evil guy. Did someone say anti-christ???

Is this guy inoccent of anything???

He is guilty of everything!!!

I think he was driving the car that ran over a squirrel on my block the other day.

Here's a slogan for the next year & a half -

"No matter what your problems are - BUSH DID IT!!! "

It'S all BUSH's fault.

Ha!! Ha!! Ha!!

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
if anything i blame the press , what happened to fact checking and counter-point ?

Fact checking? I know from personal experience that the fact are not always (if ever) checked by news outlets, regardless of how insane the story in question may seem on its face. Many are all too willing to take things at face value, with nothing but the information given by the subject of their story itself as basis for their reports.

Sad, but not uncommon, and hardly anything new.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

dont get this wrong-------i dont advocate global warfare------however what is the point in going to war with no intentions of trying to win ?-------this makes no sense but is precisely how the usa dealt with north korea/vietnam and now iraq and afghanistan and the way israel deals with the arabs that want her "wiped off the map".the usa and israel has the power to win but doesnt have the willpower to do it------consequently the problems posed by n.korea etc. keep on rearing their ugly heads and starting up their troubles all over again and leaving a mess for our kids to live with.if our people refuse to look to G-D to do what They say and rely on Them to fight our battles for us then our leaders better fight to win on their own-----not pussyfoot around.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Grover is right this story is a few years old. Here is the most recent update from the Washington Post's story titled "Prepackaged news".

Washington Post - Prepackaged News

Now if they have 1.6 billion in fake news on the books, you know there's a lot more not being kept track of. I have always been extremely suspiscious that many of the trolls circulating this website are CENTCOM disinfo agents, or agents of some other shadowy intelligence group like the NSA trying to spread b.s at a furious pace.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Trauma

Of course it is.

Watch for more threads about aliens being hostile, wanting to attack Earth. Pure propaganda to influence opinion.

It wont get really bad until Fox News start doing it though. Then we will have a epidemic of fear.

Control people by fear. Works every time.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
Control people by fear. Works every time.

That's because it's the most basic response. Even complete idiots get it

Article published recently you might find interesting:

Humans Perceive Others' Fear Faster Than Other Emotions

Science Daily — You may not be fully dressed without a smile, but a look of horror will make a faster first impression. Vanderbilt University researchers have discovered that the brain becomes aware of fearful faces more quickly than those showing other emotions.

"There are reasons to believe that the brain has evolved mechanisms to detect things in the environment that signal threat. One of those signals is a look of fear," David Zald, associate professor of psychology and a co-author of the new study, said. "We believe that the brain can detect certain cues even before we are aware of them, so that we can direct our attention to potentially threatening situations in our environment."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
I am shocked !

not by the story or the manufactured news

but the way it is presented , and recieved here @ ATS
:
if anything i blame the press , what happened to fact checking and counter-point ?

Fact checking and counter-point haven't been checked since long before Dan Rather got busted for not doing it.

And Wag The Dog was released in January, 1998, further proving your point.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join