It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart Bra will help early detection of breast cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Interesting news article I found:

Innovations in Breast Cancer Detection: The Smart Bra

The invention by Dr. Elias Siores, The Smart Bra is made of materials that are highly sensitive to slight changes in temperature. Slight temperature changes may be the result of increased blood flow which in turn may signal the development of breast cancer tumors. The Smart Bra is worn in place of a regular undergarment.

The Smart Bra is the invention of Dr. Elias Siores, PHD, Director of the Centre for Research and Innovation at the University of Bolton in the United Kingdom. The Smart Bra is worn as a substitute for a regular undergarment. The innovation relies upon materials that are sensitive to slight changes in temperature in breast tissues to detect possible development of cancerous tumors.

The science of thermography in detecting breast cancer is in a development stage. The science involves the supposition that as tumors grow, there is a higher demand for blood flow. The increased blood flow then produces elevated temperatures around the effected area of the breast. This slight elevation in temperature sets off a warning to the user to seek a medical consultation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Cool. I can't really comment much more about this, since I'm a guy and I don't wear bras. All I can say is -- this news is useless without pictures

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
That is very interesting. And it could be helpful if it really works. As long as women who wore them did'nt come to totally rely on them and not go get their yearly mammograms as they should.

It would also need to be comfortable too or women probably would'nt wear them.

It's good to see though that someone is trying invent something that could be used for early detection.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I have a kind of silly question. Can a guy with man-tits get any benefit from this?
Even so, I think I'm gonna get a couple of gag-gifts this christmas heh.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
I have a kind of silly question. Can a guy with man-tits get any benefit from this?
Even so, I think I'm gonna get a couple of gag-gifts this christmas heh.

Perhaps they could make something for the prostate. They could use this technology for other kinds of cancers maybe?

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by elaine

You mean like a cancer detecting jock-strap?

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
isn't thist a bit like a cigarette that tells you when you are getting cancer?

there was a recent study done at harvard recently that showed the longer a woman had worn a bra, the more likely she was to get breast cancer, and women who rarely or never wore them were at the least risk.

the study found....

* Women who wore their bras 24 hours per day had a 3 out of 4 chance of developing breast cancer (in their study, n=2056 for the cancer group and n=2674 for the standard group).
* Women who wore bras more than 12 hour per day but not to bed had a 1 out of 7 risk.
* Women who wore their bras less than 12 hours per day had a 1 out of 152 risk.
* Women who wore bras rarely or never had a 1 out of 168 chance of getting breast cancer. The overall difference between 24 hour wearing and not at all was a 125-fold difference.

more info here

apc

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Same thing I thought of. Pretty ridiculous. If women would just release the twins from captivity there'd be no need for a cancer sensing bra.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

Hmm. Isn't the bra-to-breast cancer link because of bras that were too tight? Similar to guys wearing tighty-whiteys that were a bit too tight getting prostate cancer or impotence.. forgot which..

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Exposure to daily sunlight prevents more than 75% of all cancers. But just like the pharmaceutical companies, some people still have to profit from the disease.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

Does the sunlight exposure have to be on the 'at-risk' parts or is any part alright? I guess what I mean is do you have to sunbathe in the nude or it'll work if you just wear a shirt and shorts and do some gardening in the mornings or evenings or go cycling?

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Why do they not supply some bras which could be wore by men so that men ,as well as women,can protect their cheast from breast cancel.

[edit on 18-10-2007 by nanoha]

new topics

top topics

join