It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

strength training help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Would going for one set max reps with low weights be better than 2-3 sets of 15 on high weights? I am refering to any muscle in general.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Depends on what your goals are...

No matter what you read, there are several inescapable facts....

1. Muscles need to be challenged..
2. Big muscles require big weight..

You can gain strength no matter which way you go, but for the "look" of big muscles and increased strength, you have to go heavy as you can, at least every now and then...

Heavy as you can means this....

75% of your ORM (One Rep Max), 3 sets, MAX reps... Try and go to failure...

Do core groups first... Squats, Dead lifts, Bench etc

Then finish with Arms, Shoulders etc....

There are several schools of thought on which muscle groups to work together, I change up a lot....

I am now working opposing groups, ie... (Chest and Back) (Tris and Bis) etc...

Next week I will go back to (Chest and Tris) (Back and Bis)

And remember, in weight lifting, change is good...

Semper

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I know in high school I did a lot of pyramids to build strength up. It seemed to work, I was in pretty good shape. Now I got a bowflex, not as fun as free weights, but easier on my body. Right now I do like 310 on bench, like 3 sets of 10 on that, and then anything else I do is like 2 sets of 15 at like 160 or so. I'm big enough, I just do it to stay in shape/keep my muscles up. I kinda keep the same set formula on my ab/leg day. Then two days I go for my normal sets, but after the required number of reps I push myself till I can't do anymore. Its something new I'm trying to keep my muscles on the edge and to switch things up a bit.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wildcat

why use weights at all.

get a box and a medicine ball

scroll down to check out the animations. this is lower body
www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...

scroll down for upper body plyo's

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

read under explosive power.....for some reason, i can't copy the text

carlos newton...primarily used plyos

www.born2bbig.com.../profilepics/1152166452.jpg

frank shamrock primarily used plyos

www.ugo.com...

rickson gracie

fighter.pl...

i am no expert in weight training but when i was able, this is how i trained. it is pretty effective and you can use it in addition to your weight regimen.

i don't really know anything about training with weights.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The fastest way I've aquired "strength" back in the buff days were through negatives. Super heavy weight negatives. Make sure you have someone with you for your chest. I've seen a few people be overwhelmed and attempt to guillotine themselves.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
My understanding and experience is that fewer heavier reps will do a better job of actually making you stronger. Pyramid the weight from 70% to 90% of your ORM (One Rep Max). You'll probably do sets in the range 6-4-2. That is the # of reps you do with each set. As the weight increases from 70% to 90% you'll drop the number or reps

To go for a more lean muscle look, lighten the weight and do sets with reps in the 8 - 10 count range. Personally, after a warm-up set, I do 6-6-4 or something to that effect. It's a middle or the road thing. You'll have to play with the rep count to suit your needs, but generally heavier weights at less reps will give you more strength.

It all depends on if you're doing competitive sports or just trying to stay in shape.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
How often should I work out? I have read that 3 days a week is all you need. But I want to gain muscle mass as quickly as possible, so would working out 5+ days a week be more efficient?

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Also what's the best bicep isolation workout?

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by wildcat

5 days a week is probably overkill. 3-4 should be fine. You have to have time for your body to recover and rest. As far as isolation exercises, just do your curls focusing on good form. The only moving joint should be your elbow. Mix it up to keep your body from getting used to what you do.

[edit on 23-10-2007 by dbates]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
My left deltoid bulges out longer than my right. Do you know what to do in order for my right deltoid to be even with my left?

My biceps have a very small difference in bulgeness also. My right bicep does not bulge as out as much as my left one does. Do you know anyway to fix this too?

I also like to point out that I cannot tell a difference in weight lifting capabilities in both my deltoids and biceps.

Or is this all a natural thing?

new topics

top topics

join