It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Restrooms & sexism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Who decided that women and men should have seperate public restrooms? What's so wrong about them having a shared public restroom? Is it because they find each other attractive? If that is the case, why would society like to get between what is infact natural?

Segregation between blacks & whites has been broken up by far in this nation. I say it's time segregation between men & women be broken up too in this nation. It's for everyone's own good. Everybody is so programmed and conditioned a certain way that they dont see what breeds a form of descrimination. It's a matter of how we're raised to segregate from the opposite sex.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Because dudes piss on the seat.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Except for the apparent right of women to march into a men's room at sporting events, I don't think this is going to garner much favor with either gender.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Most women would be uncomfortable walking into a room where strange men are holding their own penises.

..and men leave toilet seats up.

[edit on 15-10-2007 by riley]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mabus
Who decided that women and men should have seperate public restrooms?

First and foremorst I would say religions wanted them.

See how easy it was to answer.

[edit on 10/15/2007 by shots]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It’s the way it is partially due to religion and partially because here in north America we can’t look at one an others pee parts with out giggling like a bunch of seventh graders.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Funny thread, we have joint restrooms insome pubs in Britain. My only complaint: Have a room to walk in, all WC's, but a little room at the side for a latrine. I hate having to wait for someone to have a cr*p.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
Most women would be uncomfortable walking into a room where strange men are holding their own penises.

Do you think we would be more comfortable if they were holding someone elses? (sorry couldn't resist)

Personally, I have no problem with shared facilities, but prefer the current system as when faced with a long queue at the ladies you can always nip into the Gents where the cubicles are almost always free and the fellas rarely mind in my experience.

I don't think that it is sexist and has more to do with old-fashioned values aimed at preserving a little air of mystery to proceedings (we can't have you knowing just how much effort it takes us to look as good as we do, until we have you hooked).

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
well, it makes a bit sense from a practical standpoint

men primarily use urinals in public restroom facilities and most i've been in have far more urinals than toilets

women's restrooms wouldn't have any use for urinals... and the 3-4 toilets in a men's room wouldn't be enough to accommodate an equal number of men and women

of course, you could simply increase the size of the average restroom to make room for more toilets, but it seems to work out quite well this way

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Personally I have absolutely no desire to go into any bathroom and seeing a man doing his thing. I also have no desire to have a man in the bathroom at the same time I am. That would make me feel totally uncomfortable.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by gallopinghordes

And GH,

You definitely DON'T want to be in the bathroom with me!!!!!

In fact no human does....

I've had DHEC called on me...

Semper

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This isent necessarily true everywhere. I have been to more then a few stores and restaurants that have one bathroom that is shared by both sexes.

Ex. All Quiznos franchises (at least the ones here on Long Island) only have one bathroom. Some smaller family owned/operated restaurants and stores also only have one bathroom. I also went to a Friendly's in Northampton, Massachusetts that only had one bathroom.

[edit on 21-10-2007 by ChrisF231]

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Because men and women are different, especially physically.

This is also why they have separate locker rooms.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Oh Semper; you should definately not leave yourself wide open like that. In case you hadn't noticed I'm a bit of a dare I say smartass. Oh the comments I could make..............but this is me being nice.

Besides honey most men are the same way..

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Wow, I love how you compare segregation of blacks and whites to how men and women's restrooms are "segregated".

I don't know about you, but I personally don't want to see men's body parts everywhere when they're using the urinals. Bathrooms are fine seperated ... different body parts, different facilities.

top topics

join