It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plot to Assassinate Russian President Putin in Iran Uncovered

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I disagree with the theories that the US is somehow corrdinating terrorist activities in Iran, regarding the planned attempt to assassinate Putin. As for the posts up to this point, I cannot believe no one has pointed out a major point of conflict between the Persians and the Russians: Azerbaijan.
Iranians essentially had a part of their country amputated by the Soviets, and kinda harbor a grudge against them because of it. What's more, the Russians have agreed NUMEROUS times to help Iran with its nuclear program, but usually end up taking the carrot off the stick at the last moment. Have no doubt, the history between these two nations is anything but amicable.

As for the Chechynians? Its entirely possible that they are attempting to recruit fellow "believers" in Iran, but I don't know how far they would get. The Iranians have a soft spot for the Palestinians, but less so for their Eastern Europeans counterparts, IMHO.

Lastly, the US wouldn't necessarily benefit from Putin being killed. Sure, the missile shield has become a bone of contention (big bone), but Putin is still holding together a nation that has almost fallen apart many times since the USSR fell. Collapse of the Russian economy in the late 90s anyone? A strongman like Putin in charge means that you can deal with the leadership, that there's not an up-and-comer waiting to slide the knife into his back as soon as he gets back to the Kremlin. Because of this, Putin is, at this time, useful and necessary.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If the US is behind the assassination plot then, then we might be trying to get a new prez there that will stop working with Iran.I don't think it could be the Iranian people since Russia and Iran have and have had close ties with each other for a very long time. They get their weapons from Rusia

www.npr.org...

If anybody finds out if there was an attempt, make sure it gets posted. I will be looking since Prez Putin is suppose to be in Tehran today.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by paul76
I've just seen this on BBC24 and I'm leaning towards the West trying to break up an alliance with Putin and Iran. Maybe elements of the Kremlin and the CIA.

Here's my theory, Iran wants to see the Russians and Americans kill each other by having a strong president like Putin dead. Now why should that not be plausible?
Who would suspect that the Iranians would assassinate Putin in their own country? Divert the attention to America since we have tensions between the two countries.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Iran can't be behind this plot. Their society is a "Utopia".

The great Achmadenajad is Brilliant!!! He would never be behind something like this.

But, of course, the BIG BAD UNITED STATES OF AMERICA the last tyrannical place in the world - must be behind this. The CIA must have planned this. That is the only answer.

Bush - cheney - this whole administration. They must be behind this, after all the only wicked bad people left in the world.

Yep, the good old USA. Mean, Rotten, Bad, the source of the worlds problems.

Blah, Blah, Blah

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
The ``Chechnya problem`` is hyped up by Putin. The Beslan school was an inside job, just like the bombings in 1999 which gave Putin the presidency. Putin is as bad as the globalists in the US and in UK, but at least he's a nationalist.

But I thought so many here think that 'nationalism', or being a nationalist is bad - like being a 'patriot', or something. Or is it only bad when it's Americans that are being 'nationalist' and wanting to protect their borders, etc.?

Inside job? Oh, right - like a russian version of 9/11. You have some sort of verifiable proof. of course.

Putin killed in iran? Wouldn't be in favor of such a plot, but it would kill a few birds with the same stone ...

[edit on 10/15/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Another Possibility...

This could all be disinformation from the Kremlin itself to make Putin look brave and boost his popularity even further:

www.reuters.com...

MOSCOW, Oct 15 (Reuters) - Commentators were both amused and intrigued at the heroic light thrown on Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday when he defied what he said were security service warnings of a plot to kill him in Iran.

"I don't known if it's true or not true, but it makes him look like a hero, if he goes there. It makes him look like Jean-Claude Van Damme, or Steven Seagal - it's a drama," said veteran Russian broadcaster Sergey Dorenko told Reuters.

Putin, who was photographed earlier this summer showing off his muscular torso while on a hunting trip to Siberia, confirmed he would travel to Tehran after a summit in Germany, although Kremlin officials had said plans for his visit were in doubt.

The flurry of speculation followed a Russian news agency report published on Sunday, quoting a single unnamed security source, that plotters were planning to assassinate Putin in Tehran this week. The dramatic tale, since confirmed by Kremlin officials, has dominated the country's media.

This might all be an effort for him to maintain power after he leaves the presidency. Almost like trying to build a personality cult.

edit:

This is funny

Nazi skinhead, Scorsese-esque gangsta wannabe or gay icon? You decide!

Source: www.eurotrib.com...

[edit on 10/15/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

its not surprising someone would want him dead-----he's walked on a lot of toes to get where he's at and apparently o.k.? some assasinations of critics that went public about him------what goes around---comes around ?

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   

"I don't known if it's true or not true, but it makes him look like a hero, if he goes there. It makes him look like Jean-Claude Van Damme, or Steven Seagal - it's a drama," said veteran Russian broadcaster Sergey Dorenko told Reuters.

It makes him look like a crummy action star in a corny movie?

It could all be a fake, yeah, to make him look heroic to Russians. Elections are looming, after all...

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
But again, you're assuming it's the Iranian government that were the ones trying to assassinate him.

Actually I was pointing out that this is not at all the fact. However Iran's government would still be seen as responsible, and it is in their best interests to make sure Putin's visit goes smoothly.

It's probably more to do with some radical group based in Iran with a grudge against either Putin or Russia in general and is not sanctioned or sponsored by the Iranians.

I would assume that such a radical group in Iran his bigger things to worry about than Putin and Russia - I am more than sure that all of the radicals are concentrating their forces on Iraq/Afganistan or planning the next terrorist attack against the US and its allies. Chechnya conflict ended 6 years ago, and it was a very isolated conflict regardless of the fact that many Muslim insurgents fought there. Compared with the US' War on Terror and its potential consequences, Chechnya seems like child's play.

Of course it could be a radical group that is against Iran's regime (and there are those). The only reason they would want to kill Putin is to cause Iran's regime a headache, not because they got a grudge against Russia. But in that case they would be better off just assassinating some Iranian official. So really - I see no point for any Muslim group to assassinate Putin in Iran, especially considering the amount of preparation and money such an undertaking would require.

The Western interests planning such an assassination on the other hand are a different matter - but this would go into a wild speculation which would at this point be completely pointless.

Stuff like this happens. Remember the Georgian guy who threw a hand grenade at Bush whilst he was making a speech there a couple of years ago? He wasn't sponsored by the Georgians (who get on relatively well with the US), he was acting alone.

Actually according to several Russian and Georgian sources (and I think I read an opinion article from the West with this point of view), it was all a hoax. It is very possible the entire story and plot was engineered by Georgians (read Saakashvilli) to garner support for his regime from the US. And because it worked out so well for Saakashvilli, many now hypothesize that this was indeed so. Georgia is well known for such cute propaganda games, meant not for the domestic media consumption, but for international media in order to gain political ends.

It's far more likely that it would be a small group of disgruntled Iranians with no connection to the Iranian government itself than an Iranian state-sponsored assassination attempt.

Assassinating a president of a a major nation is not an undertaking for a small disillusioned group. If it was indeed realistic, which I highly doubt it was, it would require major monetary resources to prepare for this. It is not the 1960's when a single person could assassinate a leader of a superpower (Kennedy). Times have changed, and to assassinate Putin or an equivalent leader would require nothing short of Mossad-like intense preparation and tactics. Everything short of this can be considered as serious as a kid phoning in a pipe-bomb threat to get out of school - worthy of concern but hardly worthy of international news.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BloodthirstyCapitalist
As for the posts up to this point, I cannot believe no one has pointed out a major point of conflict between the Persians and the Russians: Azerbaijan.

This conflict is no longer relevent, not for the current Iranian leadership at least. It is old and buried, and why would Iran choose now of all times to bring it out. You would think Iran has more paramount issues to deal with than a third-world nation which is known to be well-supported by Turkey.

Russians have agreed NUMEROUS times to help Iran with its nuclear program, but usually end up taking the carrot off the stick at the last moment.

Russia owes Iran nothing in terms of nuclear or military technology, and Iran knows this. It is left to suck up to the Russians to move their program ahead, because an alternative to Russians is pretty much no-one.

As for the Chechynians? Its entirely possible that they are attempting to recruit fellow "believers" in Iran, but I don't know how far they would get.

Chechen separatists are a dying breed, and no one wants to be in a pack of rabid dogs that are in the last stages of euthanasia. And since all of the recruiters you speak of appear to be hiding in London under the caring wing of the UK government, I doubt that they will be able to garner any support from anyone in Iran.

Lastly, the US wouldn't necessarily benefit from Putin being killed. Sure, the missile shield has become a bone of contention (big bone), but Putin is still holding together a nation that has almost fallen apart many times since the USSR fell.

That is exactly what the West, or rather pro-Western Russian politicians in exile are grinding their teeth over - a centralized Russia in charge of its own resources. This group along with their oligarch sponsors prospered under the weak Russia of the 90's, but because control was decentralized they quickly lost it. As always the poor oligarchs are left lamenting the past and writing memoirs together with their Western friends and politicians. At least they weren't all murdered like the Russian aristocracy was after the Revolution. But there is still hope... (for their murder that is)

Because of this, Putin is, at this time, useful and necessary.

Yes he is, and many in the West fail to realize this. As for Western politicians, they likely realize it too but they need to make the people afraid of somethings, and Putin is very very scary if you show him in a right light. And this side of him is being paraded in the media over and over, while what is in the shadows is beyond most people who fail to realize that the shadow is even there. I think that Western leaders want to see Putin or someone like him stay in power despite what they say, because Russia is not the country you want to see decentralized and weak.

Remember the story about the reportedly stolen nukes in the 90's in Russia? True or not that is what a weak Russia would lead to, among other things the contemplation of which is beyond the scope of this topic.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Just thought I would add this news story to the lot.

www.debka.com...

With so many different news sources claiming the same thing, I would bet that there is some truth to the story.

All these stories claim that it was terrorists that wanted Putin's head, not Iran. Iran would not be held accountable other than for security flaws if it was to happen. Putin has many enemies outside of Iran. Even a well planned attempt against him would be difficult IMO.

Here's also a little heads up on their security for Putin.

en.wikipedia.org...

Ruthless is all I can say!

Peace!

Guz

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hey! I got a great idea. Lets send the "300". They kick Persian A**!

Just trying to add a lil humor is all!

Guz

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

Too bad. Too bad we can't get him and Chavez and Ach!madinijad all with one shot. That would be the end of WWIII.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The would make "we" worse any of them combined, tired that some people would be will to become worse than what they want to be taken "taken out". Makes me shake my head with so many people wanting someone or group that they dont even know to be dead. sick.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join