It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These Are Bad For Your Teeth! Amalgam Fillings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Upon reading this clip from the ADA, I would think that these fillings are safe, right? Maybe not. . . .

. . . . even this site goes on to agree w/ the government's claim they're safe.

Now, the devil's advocate position from this site, which is a holistic one but informative:

# Causes Damage to Brain in Children
In February, 1998, a group of the world's top mercury researchers announced that mercury from amalgam fillings can permanently damage the brain, kidneys, and immune system of children.

# Amalgam Fillings Linked to Neurological Problems, Gastrointestinal Problems
The first large-scale epidemiological study of mercury and adverse reactions was recently completed and showed that of the symptoms looked at, there was a link seen to gastrointestinal problems, sleep disturbances, concentration problems, memory disturbances, lack of initiative, restlessness, bleeding gums and other mouth disorders.

# Mercury / Alzheimer's Disease Connection Found
A study related to mercury and Alzheimer's Disease was recently completed by a team of scientists led by well-respected researcher Dr. Boyd Haley. They exposed rats to levels of mercury vapor diluted to account for size differences between humans and rats. The rats developed tissue damage "indistinguishable" from that of Alzheimer's Disease. Repeating the experiment showed the same results. Dr. Haley is quoted as saying "I'm getting the rest of my fillings taken out right now, and I've asked my wife to have hers replaced too." Also see: www.holistic-dentistry.com...

...and you can find a lot of more stats on how they're poison. Are they? You'll have to decide. . . . I think they are since I have them and they've been falling out of my mouth for the last 4-5 years. Any other horror stories? Positive tales of no problems?

[edit: clipped quoted content]
Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14-10-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

[edit on 14-10-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   
.....surprised this thread didn't get more attention about these fillings, I don't know why the Mods clipped the problems w/ them so much but that list goes on and on about the issues w/ those fillings. . . .

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This was big news even a few years ago. I have invisalign right now and as soon as I'm done I'm getting ceramic fillings to replace my dated radiated ones. It's so infuriating that this kind of normal standard practice goes unchecked for years.

[edit on 15-10-2007 by DeadFlagBlues]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by anhinga

.....surprised this thread didn't get more attention about these fillings, I don't know why the Mods clipped the problems w/ them so much but that list goes on and on about the issues w/ those fillings. . . .

Anhinga I'm glad your bringing this up. People need to be more concerned with their health then worrying about Conspiracies. We have all these recalls now of toys and food. People pay attention.

I applaud your efforts. Flagged and starred.

[edit on 10/15/2007 by Leyla]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Going with you on this one Anhinga.

Mercury in tooth fillings??What the doody were they thinking??
I had mine taken out years ago when I discovered this.

I suffered quite a few stomach problems that started around the time one of them crumbled. Co-incidence? hmmm.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
This sucks because I have these fillings in 4 teeth from years ago.
Dentist are so damn expensive and I'm not looking forward to getting these removed.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I'm sure I read somewhere that mercury is 500 times more poisonous than lead? Can anyone confirm if this is true? Whatever the case, they wont sell a toy with lead content so why do they still use mercury? I'm quite concerned about this subject because I've plenty of fillings and remember swallowing bits of amalgum that the school dentist had left lying in my mouth after an appointment when I was small. No-one ever told me that if I find any 'bits' I should spit them out.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Hi all,I'm new to ATS this is my first post
I am glad some people are still showing concern about this.for 150 years this debate has raged and I am in total agreement with the people that called dentists quacks for putting one of the most toxic substances known to man into peoples mouths.For years dentists have told us that when the mercury bonds with other metals it becomes completely safe and doesnt release vapour yet recent scientific tests have proved that amalgams release toxic mercury vapour.Now the ADA and BDA say yes these fillings release vapour but at a safe level which can do no harm.I think all those people in the ADA and BDA are Mad Hatter's personally
Since when does poison become safe?I think the dental organisations want this to become moot because they are worried about law suits if it ever gets out that they have knowingly poisoned people for all those years.Two of the biggest makers of Amalgams for use in dentistry have stopped making them even when it is one of their most profitable resources(What does that tell you).This Issue is far from over I think,wait til those greedy lawyers start getting involved.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

...going through this thread, it's been awhile... what *they* were thinking as *they* usually do, was the easy way around testing and probably special-interests, as usual. And how did they fool the people? Well, it started as "silver fillings" but *they* forget to tell us what's the ingredients -- and we 'trusted' that the filling were straight silver, check this, for 'silver' HAS to be amalgam -- which means a combination of stuff:

Amalgam filling material contains mercury and other metals. While there have been no conclusive studies relating the mercury in amalgam to any dangers, mercury by itself is very toxic.

dentistry.about.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Mercury is much worse then lead, I don't have the stat, but I do have this site:

Mercury is a very powerful poison. It is the most toxic naturally occurring substance on earth. It is far more poisonous than lead, arsenic, and cadmium.

www.dentalwellness4u.com...

Here's a 'interesting' PDF w/ graphics, remember getting that 'amalgam' fillings? Remember the smell of *them* burning them into your mouth? Read on about 'smoking' them out:

"1,000 times more then the EPA let's us breathe..."

"Smoking Teeth = Poison Gas"
www.mercurypoisoned.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon2

The issue is FAR from over, since in the U.S. (and other countries) healthcare scams are common and a majority of populations take the government's (FDA, EPA) word at face value -- ever among other really important health issues.... as per this conspiracy, let's dissect this ADA report:

Is it true that dental amalgams have been banned in other countries?

No. Erroneous news reporting has confused restrictions in a few countries with outright bans. Dentists around the world are using dental amalgams (silver fillings) to restore teeth that have dental decay. Studies have not shown a link between dental amalgam and any medical disorder.

www.ada.org...

Alright, 'ADA' -- What's up in Sweden? I found this site:

Swedish Government Announces Total Ban of Amalgam Dental Fillings

On 18 February 1994 the government of Sweden publicly announced the final timetable for the ban on the use of mercury/silver amalgam as a dental filling material. The use of amalgam will be totally banned for children and adolescents up to the age of 19 by 1 July 1995 at the latest and for adults by 1997.

www.davidhoward.com.au...

Lastly, proving the 'disinfo' campaign or at least a confusion campaign -- here's the Wiki page, chock full of 'cit needed' -- which, usually means controversy, let alone, the FACT that their page has the word in its title:

Some countries, such as Japan[citation needed], Norway[citation needed], and Sweden[citation needed], have banned or regulated the use of mercury in dental amalgams, citing health or environmental concerns. The Swedish Chemicals Inspectorate (KemI) maintains a web site containing a report on the investigation for a general ban on mercury on which it states, "KemI judges that there are strong grounds for banning amalgam for environmental reasons. From a health point of view there is every reason to apply a precautionary approach."[19] Some countries, notably Austria[citation needed] and Germany[citation needed], have some restrictions on dental amalgam, such as permitting its use for the general population, but not for children, pregnant women, people with kidney problems, when in contact with other metals, such as braces, and in people with mercury sensitivity.

In 2002, eight members of the U.S. House of Representatives introduced the Mercury in Dental Filling Disclosure and Prohibition Act [20] (H.R. 4163, 107th Congress, 2nd Session, April 10th 2002), which would have prohibited any mercury in dental fillings starting in 2007. In an interim period between July 1, 2002 and 2007, the bill would have required labeling of amalgam with a warning. The bill was referred to a subcommittee, which tabled it. It has since been re-introduced as bill HR-4011 by congresswoman Diane Watson,[21] who issued a public statement after the September 2006 decision of the FDA Review panel on dental amalgam. [22]

In most European countries (for example, the United Kingdom, France, and Italy) and the United States, amalgam use is unrestricted. In the United States, amalgams are classified as a "device," not a "substance," by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Under the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, amalgams are a prosthetic device:

Amalgam Alloy, (a) Identification. An amalgam alloy is a device that consists of a metallic substance intended to be mixed with mercury to form filling material for treatment of dental caries. (b) Classification. Class II. (21 CFR 872.3050 (2001))

Dental amalgam controversy @ Wiki

Questions, comments? I'm all ears...

...on the edit: I found this abstract of a study/ w/ test subjects reporting 'chronic fatigue syndrome' -- after removed, a 76% inprovement:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

[edit on 19-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
hi again,excellent stuff anhinga,there definetly is a disinfo campaign still going down on this one.Yes you are completely correct in saying sweden banned them outright,did you also know that the swedish government started a dental campaign to help people with the costs of having their amalgams removed safely.I found an excellent vid on google about a documentary called 60 mins which is from the 90's i think if any one is interested check it out

Google Video Link

[edit on 19-11-2007 by defcon2]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon2

...cool, I'll watch it -- try to fix your link, it's running off the page...

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
silly me
I'm a newbie please forgive,I think i have it sorted.enjoy!!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
A star and a flag.
Great find anhinga.
I left the dentist's chair about 10 years ago when I asked, and they said, "amalgams are ADA approved". That meant less than zero to me.
Found another dent, and got plastic ones. Really need to go the ceramic route next time...

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon2

...what kills me about this is, I've been 'thinking ahead' since some of my threads get controversial...

My point on this is, those who are for strict truths, have conducted tests where they've actually found low amounts of mercury poisoning in their subjects -- mind you, the government (FDA, EPA, others) 'minimum' has proven a joke in other arenas/research. Any daily, significant mercury levels in a pregnant woman is truly opening the birth defect potential.

This 'amalgam' case is specific -- whatever level mercury is not good for the body, and in trying to rid it from our seas, fish foods and air/water supply -- I can't fathom how this is still a constant -- daily, in one's actual month.

Bravo to countries like Sweden for providing an alternative (referred to as, porcelain, ceramic or white) filling, and help in removing them.

Here's some more specs on case studies:

Dental amalgams have been in use for over 150 years. They are inexpensive and thought to be more durable and easier to use than other types of fillings. The amalgam consists of approximately 50 percent mercury combined with other metals such as silver and copper. Since their introduction, dental amalgams have been a source of controversy because the assumed health risks of mercury...

Today’s occupational exposures, such as in the dental office, are lower and may lead to mild, reversible effects on the kidney or mild cognitive changes
and memory loss.

However, urinary concentrations in people with amalgams (about 2 to 4 μg of mercury per liter) are well below concentrations found in people who are occupationally exposed to mercury (20 to 50 μg of mercury per liter) unless they are also excessive chewers. Current concern arises from claims that long-term exposure to low concentrations of mercury vapor from amalgams either causes or exacerbates degenerative diseases such as amyotrophic
lateral sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease. Speculation has been most intense with respect to Alzheimer’s disease after a report that the brains of patients with Alzheimer’s disease had elevated mercury concentrations. However, several epidemiologic investigations failed to provide evidence of a role of amalgam in these degenerative diseases, including a long-term study of 1462 women in Sweden,19 an ongoing Swedish twin study involving 587 subjects,20
and a study of 129 nuns 75 to 102 years of age, which included eight tests of cognitive function. 21 Nevertheless, in vitro studies have indicated that mercury can affect the biochemical processes believed to be involved in Alzheimer’s disease. 22 The problem is that mercury can inhibit various biochemical processes in vitro without having the sameeffect in vivo.

www.albuw.ait.ac.th...

From the NE Journal of Medicine, an 11-page pdf about mercury -- they go on to conclude that it might be not worth having them removed... so, is the jury still out on these supposed "Amalgam Wars' that the NEJM article alludes to? I believe it is, w/ the study I linked earlier proving percentage-wise, they contribute to chronic-fatigue syndrome, seems like reason enough to replace -- I've heard dentists do this procedure easily & are included w/ dental insurance, just do a little research, they need to make sure they are removed correctly so you don't swallow any poison!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Great thread! I personally have a mouth full of Mercury and have had since I was young. I can’t use dentists unfortunately, due to gov persecution, so I use EDTA to remove the heavy metals and other toxins from my system. I recommend it, as I can really tell the difference in my memory and cognitive ability when I take it.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by resistor

RDTX -- you should use the University clinics. I have in Denver & in Philadephia to have 'emergency' work done -- tooth pulled and I'm scheduled to get the rest of the 50% toxic junk out soon. I think CFS is affecting me sometimes -- I eat good, take vitamins/minerals, exercise, yet feel the 'winter blues' badly. They gotta go.... the tooth pullings are under $100, there was a thread one night about someone pulling a tooth at home, w/ liquor. I hope I talked her/him out of it, I lost track of the thread.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

Good advice, THX. It would certainly have to be an emergency to get me to a dentist though. I already have two gov implants, I don’t need any more.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by resistor

How'd you get those? All the more reason to get them out, seems like it's common in any state/major city.

new topics

top topics

join