It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Aspertame Lawsuit (Equal Sugar Sweetener Is Toxic!)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
According to the FDA, aspartame is one of the safest, and most thoroughly tested, artificial sweeteners on the market.

A double blind test done by the University of Minnesota's Department of Epidemiology showed that out of 108 test subjects given 75mg of aspartame 3 times a day for two weeks showed no adverse effects to weight, blood tests, or other lab work. (Note that the amount they were given is equal to drinking 10 liters of diet soda a day, far more than what the average person consumes on a daily basis.)

According to the Diabetes Journals, 29 diabetic people were given 2.7 grams of aspartame a day, for 18 weeks. Note that there was no adverse effects, nor did it affect the blood glucose levels.

According to the Alzeimer's Association, aspartame doesn't cause memory loss.

I could go on linking credible medical website debunking much of the aspartame myth, but that would just get redundant. If you'd like more websites though, feel free to visit this one that contains dozens of links leading to credible sites.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tebyen

According to the FDA eh ?

Thalidomide or Vioxx, anyone ? Money talks, and we know what cow manure does, don't we ?

Nuff said...

Peace

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Here's a site about Splenda and a little excerpt:

Splenda, also known as sucralose, is artificial sweetener which is a chlorinated sucrose derivative... Pre-approval research showed that sucralose caused shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage) and enlarged liver and kidneys. The manufacturer put forth two arguments in an attempt to claim that sucralose is not toxic: The dose of sucralose in the experiments was high. However, for chemicals that do not have generations of safe use, the dosage tested must be adjusted for variations in potential toxicity within the human population and between humans and rodents.

Other adverse effects reported in pre-approval research included:

* Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage) (EO56)
* Enlarged liver and kidneys. (EO57 & E161)
* Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus (EO51, EO56, EO151)
* Increased cecal weight (E151) * Reduced growth rate (EO57)
* Decreased red blood cell count (EO55)
* Hyperplasia of the pelvis (EO57)
* Extension of the pregnancy period
* Aborted pregnancy (E134)
* Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights (EO32)
* Diarrhea

While it is unlikely that sucralose is as toxic as the poisoning people are experiencing from Monsanto's aspartame, it is clear from the hazards seen in pre-approval research and from its chemical structure that years or decades of use may contribute to serious chronic immunological or neurological disorders.

I cannot see how any of these products (Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, high-fructose corn syrup) can appeal to anyone? Natural sugar is the only one which isn't straight poison. Sure, it's fattening but it's the safest!!!!

Here's the aforementioned Aspartame link w/ some interesting stats about this thread's first culprit... within that site are some patient accounts of said product(s) and they're, as usual, proving this poison for what it is:

I battled high blood pressure from 1987 until 2006. My blood pressure had become uncontrollable. I had memory lapses where I could not remember someone's name. My joints were hurting and aching and my prostate was enlarged.

My doctor just kept increasing my medications and the symptoms kept getting
worse. After experiencing dizziness and nose bleeds from excessively high
blood pressure, I had to stop eating and only consume distilled water.
After several days, my blood pressure went down to 116/65. I started eating
only one food at a time and checking my blood pressure at intervals
afterward to see if my blood pressure went up. I did not experience a
problem until I drank a diet drink with Nutrasweet. My blood pressure soared
to 185/100 and stayed high for hours. As a result, I took diet drinks off my
consumables list.

Then I had a cup of coffee sweetened with Equal and my blood pressure soared again. So I switched to decaf coffee sweetened with Equal and had the same thing happen again. My blood pressure soared and stayed up for hours. After that, I knew that Equal sweetener, (aspartame), was the problem. I drank decaf coffee sweetened with sugar for a solid week, and it had no effect on my blood pressure at all. I even went back to regular coffee sweetened with sugar and had only a moderate blood pressure increase, (131/80), that lasted for about an hour.

On top of that, I haven't had a memory lapse since I stopped using aspartame. My joints had been hurting me so bad that I could not sleep through the night. My joints have not ached since I stopped using aspartame - that is not a coincidence! On top of that, my prostate symptoms subsided too. I do not have to take any medications at all since I eliminated aspartame from my diet. I think I had several TIAs as a result of high blood pressure induced by aspartame. I wonder how many people have died of strokes or heart failure from high blood pressure brought on from using aspartame?

[edit on 14-10-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rilence
reply to post by tebyen

Nuff said...

And hopefully read.…

I can understand your reservations against trusting the FDA, but how about the wealth of other information in that post?

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by NRen2k5
[I’d say the same, but my father’s diabetic, and I’ve gotten used to Diet being the only thing in the house.

[edit on 14-10-2007 by NRen2k5]

I'm truly sorry your Dad has this disease...It is a disease that has touched many members on both sides of my family...The way they overcome this is to eat foods with natural sugars in moderation and when necessary and not to poison themselves with chemicals...

What can I say ?

As far as the research goes...I don't think its necessary for either of us to link to the research, as its rather pointless...There is as much research to support one side of the coin as the other...

The thing is, which research do you believe ? The corporate funded research or the independent research not tainted by money ?

Peace

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

Yes, the FDA can't be completely trusted, as nothing should. Hence the other links I posted, the most pertinent of which is the last. It takes you to a website with dozens of links to other medical sites, many of which did independent research on aspartame.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by anhinga
Here's a site about Splenda

A “holistic” “alternative medicine” website isn’t a reliable source of information about much of anything.

I cannot see how any of these products (Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, high-fructose corn syrup) can appeal to anyone?

Diabetes, for one.

Natural sugar is the only one which isn't straight poison. Sure, it's fattening but it's the safest!!!!

Tell that to a diabetic.

within that site are some patient accounts of said product(s) and they're, as usual, proving this poison for what it is:

I battled high blood pressure from 1987 until 2006. My blood pressure had become uncontrollable. I had memory lapses where I could not remember someone's name. My joints were hurting and aching and my prostate was enlarged.

My doctor just kept increasing my medications and the symptoms kept getting
worse. After experiencing dizziness and nose bleeds from excessively high
blood pressure, I had to stop eating and only consume distilled water.
After several days, my blood pressure went down to 116/65. I started eating
only one food at a time and checking my blood pressure at intervals
afterward to see if my blood pressure went up. I did not experience a
problem until I drank a diet drink with Nutrasweet. My blood pressure soared
to 185/100 and stayed high for hours. As a result, I took diet drinks off my
consumables list.

Then I had a cup of coffee sweetened with Equal and my blood pressure soared again. So I switched to decaf coffee sweetened with Equal and had the same thing happen again. My blood pressure soared and stayed up for hours. After that, I knew that Equal sweetener, (aspartame), was the problem. I drank decaf coffee sweetened with sugar for a solid week, and it had no effect on my blood pressure at all. I even went back to regular coffee sweetened with sugar and had only a moderate blood pressure increase, (131/80), that lasted for about an hour.

On top of that, I haven't had a memory lapse since I stopped using aspartame. My joints had been hurting me so bad that I could not sleep through the night. My joints have not ached since I stopped using aspartame - that is not a coincidence! On top of that, my prostate symptoms subsided too. I do not have to take any medications at all since I eliminated aspartame from my diet. I think I had several TIAs as a result of high blood pressure induced by aspartame. I wonder how many people have died of strokes or heart failure from high blood pressure brought on from using aspartame?

Anecdotal evidence from an unreliable, biased website. I’ll take that with a grain of salt.

You don’t seem to be understanding the concepts of bias and reliable sources yet.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Rilence makes the best point yet.... there are two camps of research, the 'tainted' government, special interest money and the indy research is the best way to phrase it, thank you for that.

I had a good friend get caught up on pharms for bi-polar and he seems to do better without them and on herbal/supplements instead. Some of the symptoms were so awful, he wanted to off himself, since getting off those pharms, he hasn't been happier.

Plus, at that firm job and much info, even some posted here, I've heard about these corporations (of war) paying off people/lawyers to help silence witnesses and even doctors about test results. I know that is taking it to an extreme, I'd rather try to portray this as civil then a constant bombardment of stats.

I could do the latter since but would rather not in the face of such an intense topic, I didn't know people would get stirred up like this. Either way, should you *need* sugar, natural cane is the ONLY way to go. . . .

On the EDIT: hey MOD, that last bit in the last posters response about "yet" is totally below the belt -- isn't it?! I don't get how no one else is not getting a warning. I am profusely trying to apologize/change the tone of this thread! Any thoughts on that?

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   

As far as the research goes...I don't think its necessary for either of us to link to the research, as its rather pointless...There is as much research to support one side of the coin as the other...

No, there isn’t.

The thing is, which research do you believe ? The corporate funded research or the independent research not tainted by money?

I refuse to answer that fallacious question.

I believe research which is conducted properly, verified, reviewed and duplicated.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NRen2k5

Even when the research is tainted by corporate interests whose only motive is to sell more of their product ??

Come on man, you previous posts made me think you were above that sort of thing...

The idea is, for diabetics, at least the one's I know in my family is natural is best...There is no need to put that stuff in your body, there are a heap of foods with natural sugars that can give you a treat without poisoning yourself...

If someone cant be bothered researching same, well that's their choice...and I call it laziness...Me, I have several disabilities (diabetes not one of them)...But over the years I have had to make changes to my lifestyle, eating and drinking being one of them...

Have I resorted to a quick fix ? no...I've done my homework and have adapted my lifestyle, diet and so on to be as natural as humanly possible...

And not only do I not suffer symptoms as bad as I di 10 yrs ago, I'm not putting questionable substances in my body which may well affect me badly in 20-30 yrs...

I take no chances, and it takes little effort...

Peace

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Rilence makes the best point yet.... there are two camps of research, the 'tainted' government, special interest money and the indy research is the best way to phrase it, thank you for that.

No. That’s not the best way. That’s not even rational.

I had a good friend get caught up on pharms for bi-polar and he seems to do better without them and on herbal/supplements instead. Some of the symptoms were so awful, he wanted to off himself, since getting off those pharms, he hasn't been happier.

And this has less than nothing to do with aspartame.

Plus, at that firm job and much info, even some posted here, I've heard about these corporations (of war) paying off people/lawyers to help silence witnesses and even doctors about test results. I know that is taking it to an extreme, I'd rather try to portray this as civil then a constant bombardment of stats.

Well, at least you’re honest about your dishonesty. So you admit that you have an agenda, and you don’t give the south end of a rat running north about the facts.

I could do the latter since but would rather not in the face of such an intense topic, I didn't know people would get stirred up like this.

*cough* BS. You’re not citing facts because you don’t have any.

Either way, should you *need* sugar, natural cane is the ONLY way to go.

Nah, there are other options. You could eat fresh fruits, for one.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Alright, here's a couple of sites for diabetes patients w/ alternatives to these gross products. Check the links.

This one deals w/ has links to books ("Sweet Deception") and other lawsuits about these products. Talk about "junk science" -- which is what the gov't version says.

Here's a link to Sweet Deception book website which seems to have many facts about topic and probably can be bought used on Amazon or taken out of a local library.... it is cheap on Amazon -- here is a link for it in hardcover for only $5 before shipping.

And here's another book on Amazon about topic, in paperback for under $6 used.

EDIT: no wonder you got negative points Ren, all you do is insult people, why, I have no idea and no idea why you're not getting a *warning* for continuing to insult. I better go place the complaint now.

My "agenda" -- and what's that? Telling people about a poison they decide to ingest? It's obvious I'm not alone in this and should anyone else stick up for me again, let alone read this thru, they'll see you're the one w/ the mean streak, let alone, just throwing insult after insult without nicely discussing the topic.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

reply to post by NRen2k5

Even when the research is tainted by corporate interests whose only motive is to sell more of their product ??

When and how was that?

Come on man, you previous posts made me think you were above that sort of thing...]

Above what sort of thing?

The idea is, for diabetics, at least the one's I know in my family is natural is best...There is no need to put that stuff in your body, there are a heap of foods with natural sugars that can give you a treat without poisoning yourself...

He became diabetic in the first place the same as a lot of other people - “poisoning” himself in the first place, and being overweight.

He eats relatively healthy now. So he still has his – diet – soft drinks. This doesn’t put him on par with an alcoholic now does it?

If someone cant be bothered researching same, well that's their choice...and I call it laziness...Me, I have several disabilities (diabetes not one of them)...But over the years I have had to make changes to my lifestyle, eating and drinking being one of them...

And if you can’t be bothered researching, that’s your choice. And I call it laziness too. At least we agree on something.

And not only do I not suffer symptoms as bad as I di 10 yrs ago, I'm not putting questionable substances in my body which may well affect me badly in 20-30 yrs...

And according to the best data we have, neither is anybody else here.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Exactly...Why the need for aspartame ? As I said in my PP, it is VERY easy for people with diseases that are dietary related to make easy changes to their eating habits/lifestyles without resorting to putting poison in their bodies...

AnneStacey !!!! Where are you when I need you girl !!! Perhaps I should sit in front of a mirror and do the bloody mary thing except say AnneStacey

That lady is a gun when it comes to what you should and shouldn't put in your body...

Peace

EDIT -- stoopid spelling

[edit on 14-10-2007 by Rilence]

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   

This one deals w/ has links to books ("Sweet Deception") and other lawsuits about these products. Talk about "junk science" -- which is what the gov't version says.

You still don’t get it, do you?

Here's a link to Sweet Deception book website which seems to have many facts about topic and probably can be bought used on Amazon or taken out of a local library.... it is cheap on Amazon -- here is a link for it in hardcover for only $5 before shipping.

You still don’t get it, do you?

And here's another book on Amazon about topic, in paperback for under $6 used.

No, I guess you still don’t get it.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by NRen2k5

Now you're being positive eh ? For a diabetic, the ONLY way to go is natural...Ingesting these substances will result in premature death as opposed to eating the right things...

Like I said, if people are too lazy to do the SIMPLE research (it isn't brain surgery), then I can't really symapthise if they expire sooner than they would if they had made a little effort...

Peace

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Exactly...Why the need for aspartame?

No need.

But it’s a perfectly viable option. I like having some choice; some variety.

mmAs I said in my PP, it is VERY easy for people with diseases that are dietary related to make easy changes to their eating habits/lifestyles without resorting to putting poison in their bodies...

And the best data we have says that ASPARTAME IS NOT A POISON. Capisce? Comprende? 你明白吗?

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   

reply to post by NRen2k5

Now you're being positive eh ? For a diabetic, the ONLY way to go is natural...Ingesting these substances will result in premature death as opposed to eating the right things...

What are “these substances?” The topic is one substance – aspartame. What is “the right things?”

Another fallacy on your part. I’m not surprised at this point.

Like I said, if people are too lazy to do the SIMPLE research (it isn't brain surgery), then I can't really symapthise if they expire sooner than they would if they had made a little effort...

Agreed!

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
You saying...

And the best data we have says that ASPARTAME IS NOT A POISON. Capisce? Comprende? 你明白吗?

Does not make it right...not by a huge stretch...Get with it people...Anyone with a diet based disease needs to turn to nature pronto, and forget artificial things as part of their diet...

That is, if you want to live as long as you possibly can...

If you want to indulge over the short term and die younger having a "Good time" sweet, go for it...

Me, I want to live as long as I can and experience ALL that life has to offer...Good times, crap times, great times, so so times, really bad times and so on...

All I know is the various afflictions I suffer wont result in me losing time I could have lost if I went down the un-natural route...

Peace

EDIT -- minor typo

[edit on 14-10-2007 by Rilence]

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by NRen2k5

What's to "get" dude? You're not going to take over the thread w/ insults/dejecting behavior when others ARE providing info/trying to
be nice about said topic; should the info not suit your needs, you get pretty angry. Sorry the topic gets under your skin but there's nothing wrong w/ a little healthy conversing --is there?

-----------------------------------------------------

This is what people usually like -- videos! Here's a little YouTube trailer of a documentary (!) about these poisons. Here's a short video on said subject. And should you "get" this -- here's a commerical about the toxic nature of said substances. . . .
And there's plenty more should you type "aspartame" into Youtube. . . .

Edit: Here's a website w/ known side effects (over 90!) of said product.... and this is a website w/ fraud references to aspartame.

Today we have "Nutra-Sweet", which is widely used in a plethora of consumables, despite a demonstrated neurological reaction in some people. In February 1996, it was decided to also use the product name "Benevia". It is estimated that as many as 20,000,000 people cannot metabolize phenylalimine, and this inability is genetically inherited by children. The inability to metabolize phenylalinine can lead to mental retardation in children. This means a risk of retardation for millions of children. A multi-billion dollar enterprise, this substance is said to be "refined" from "natural" substances. Like other "refined" substances, it represents a health threat to the general public. No long term studies have been performed to evaluate the physiological effects of this substance, yet the public is lead to believe it is absolutely safe. Technically, the chemical is called aspartame, and it was once on a Pentagon list of biowarfare chemicals submitted to Congress. [1] Aspartame is in over 4,000 products worldwide and is consumed by over 200 million people in the United States alone. What follows is a skeletal examination of the chronology related to aspartame. A more detailed chronology is given later in this chapter based on information provided to us by the Aspartame Consumer Safety Network.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join