It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel will naturalize scores of Darfur refugees.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Israel intends to grant citizenship to several hundred refugees from Darfur who are currently in the country, Interior Minister Meir Sheetrit said yesterday.

Estimates put the number of asylum seekers and refugees in Israel today at more than 2,000, many of them from Sudan. The UN estimates that since 2003, when the fighting began in the Darfur region of western Sudan, more than 200,000 people have been killed and 2.5 million people have been uprooted from their homes.

www.haaretz.com...

This is a great humanitarian move by Israel, and a breath of fresh air from the usual bad press. Israel has acted above and beyond in providing safe harbor for these unfortunate victims.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Oops. Did I forget to mention these people are also Muslims?

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Muslims???
Is that a joke? Since the ones that are most afflicted and enslaved (and killed) are christians BY muslims!

I have NEVER heard of a Sudanese muslim being oppressed!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This article says Christians.
Sudanese refugees

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
You sound like you have an agenda here. The Darfur conflict is not so simple to be put down to religious polarization.

Here is an article about the Sudanese refugees in Israel, if you like, that addresses them as Muslims.

Israel will grant citizenship to some of the hundreds of Muslim refugees from Sudan's violence-ridden Darfur region who have already arrived, Interior Minister Meir Sheetrit said Wednesday.

mercurynews

Hope that helps.

[edit on 14-10-2007 by SteveR]

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Two other articles say muslim. What????
I can understand there being fringe muslims who resist the evil of the northern troops, but noone can deny the genocide is/was directed at christians as a jihad!
Why do these articles say just muslims? Are they crazy!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
65% of the population of Darfur is Muslim. Muslims are being killed. It's supposedly motivated not so much by religion as by culture - Arab v. African.

This story in the WA Post and just about everything I googled on the subject says that Muslims are being attacked and mosques burned.

So, no, it's not Christians being persecuted in Darfur. It's Muslims too.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Out of the frying pan... 2k huh? Mighty big of them. Must make some feel "real good". Drop in the bucket... the WHO "emergency mortality threshold" was blown through in '04... likely higher today.

30,000 children will die today of completely preventable causes. 'bout a hundred in the time it takes to type this...

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Maybe we were led to believe it was ONLY christians on purpose to help swallow war, more easily. Then again, so little has been covered about this African atrocity!

posted on 14-10-2007 at 11:14 PM

Out of the frying pan... 2k huh? Mighty big of them. Must make some feel "real good". Drop in the bucket... the WHO "emergency mortality threshold" was blown through in '04... likely higher today.

30,000 children will die today of completely preventable causes. 'bout a hundred in the time it takes to type this...

Cheers,

Vic

I'm sorry, I don't fully understand.
CS

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski

Yes. That's the UNICEF number. But they put it down to 'poverty'.. the issue is unrelated to the Darfur genocide and ofcourse not Israel's responsibility.

Any drop in the bucket counts. Especially considering the dangers these refugees face on being forced through Egypt.

On August 2, 2007, in repeated attempts to escape the conflict, refugees crossed the border into Egypt and then attempted to cross into Israel where Egyptian soldiers then killed the four Sudanese trying to cross border.

Israel Defense Force soldiers described the incident. "What happened there yesterday was a lynch. These are not men, they're animals. They killed the refugees without even using firearms", the soldier said. "We just heard screams of pain and the sounds of beatings, and then the screams stopped."

link

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Clearskies, I wasn't all that up to speed on Darfur, having some rather pressing issues of my own, but when I went and looked around a little bit in my capacity as Google Diva, I found that the FIRST conflict in Darfur was persecuting Christians, but this second one is indeed about ethnic and tribal differences.

The Darfur conflict is a crisis in the Darfur region of western Sudan. Unlike the Second Sudanese Civil War, which was fought between the primarily Muslim north and Christian and Animist south, the current lines of conflict are seen to be ethnic and tribal, rather than religious. One side of the armed conflict is composed mainly of the Sudanese military and the Janjaweed, a militia group recruited mostly from the Arab Baggara tribes of the northern Rizeigat, camel-herding nomads. The other side comprises a variety of rebel groups, notably the Sudan Liberation Movement and the Justice and Equality Movement, recruited primarily from the land-tilling Fur, Zaghawa, and Massaleit ethnic groups. The Sudanese government, while publicly denying that it supports the Janjaweed, has provided money and assistance to the militia and has participated in joint attacks targeting the tribes from which the rebels draw support. The conflict began in February 2003.

en.wikipedia.org...

"The various tribes that have been the object of attacks and killings (chiefly the Fur, Massalit and Zaghawa tribes) do not appear to make up ethnic groups distinct from the ethnic group to which persons or militias that attack them belong. They speak the same language (Arabic) and embrace the same religion (Islam)" (p. 129).

Report of the International Commission of Inquiry on Darfur to the United Nations Secretary-General (PDF), United Nations, 25 January 2005,

www.un.org...=%22un%20report%20darfur%20genocide%22

It may not have been an outright attempt at deception; rather, a case of being uninformed and a little out of date.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

Yes. That's the UNICEF number. But they put it down to 'poverty'.. the issue is unrelated to the Darfur genocide and ofcourse not Israel's responsibility.

Any drop in the bucket counts. Especially considering the dangers these refugees face on being forced through Egypt.

On August 2, 2007, in repeated attempts to escape the conflict, refugees crossed the border into Egypt and then attempted to cross into Israel where Egyptian soldiers then killed the four Sudanese trying to cross border.

Israel Defense Force soldiers described the incident. "What happened there yesterday was a lynch. These are not men, they're animals. They killed the refugees without even using firearms", the soldier said. "We just heard screams of pain and the sounds of beatings, and then the screams stopped."

link

I cut my cheque... www.care.ca - so did my day job... how about you SteveR???? Anyone? Drops in the bucket. A link for those who might actually consider doing something tangible here.

Or for those with more local tastes cut a cheque or volunteer at the food banks. Plenty poverty to go around.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I cut my cheque... www.care.ca - so did my day job... how about you SteveR???? Anyone? Drops in the bucket.

For my currently limited finances I've cut ALOT of cheques, thanks Vic.

The bucket is filled with drops my friend.

[edit on 14-10-2007 by SteveR]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Any idea where they'll put em' up?

I'm betting those illegal settlement lands that Israel is occupying..

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   
This is great news from Israel. That's a very good thing they're doing for these people regardless of religious beliefs. They have a whole mess of people in their own (confiscated) backyard that would be more than welcome for the same treatment.

For those of you that are being so critical of Israel's actions doesn't make sense to me. Israel infuriates me but a good deed is a good deed. Your sentiment for Israel should be excluded from your posts. Let's keep it relevant.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Whilst I have a huge difference of opinion with the Israeli administration on many issues, they should be applauded for taking these people in and resettling them...

I can only think of the sheer hell Australia would put these people thru in making them jump through 100 hoops to prove they were legitimate refugees...

Israel, well done...Perhaps a whole heap of other countries can follow suit ? And perhaps the Australian immigration minister can reconsider his stance with regard to not allowing any more African refugees into the country until at least July 2008...

Peace

top topics

join