It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommendations on Respirator Masks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Does anyone maintain a stock of respirator masks?
If so, can you recommend a good mask that filters out the smallest of particles?

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Well, are you talking about simple masks or the more complicated type?

I can tell you about the simple ones. A N-95 mask is disposable and very usefull in the event of a pandemic of say H5N1, or any other disease that propagates by airborn transmission. They are expensive but filter out 95% of droplets, etc.

A N-99 mask is avalible that ups that to almost 99% but they are really really expensive and hard to breathe through esp once they get a bit moist.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I would say the S-10 uk type respirator. I have had plenty of practice with it and have also used the American equal.

There are many fitting's including an air fan that blows air in your face to keep it cool.

Trust me if you are in a respirator for any amount of time you will beg for such a modification.

Regard's
Lee

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Above all, don't just buy these masks and assume you can slap one on to prevent inhalation of any given vapor or particulate. You need to get training. You can most likely find some online training that you can set through and follow the steps. The place where you'll go wrong (most likely) without training is the proper fitting of the mask. Remember, these higher end masks are to prevent inhalation of extremely small particulates, and the even higher end even prevent vapors, so if you don't properly seal the mask to your face - you might as well have gotten a 25 cent painter's mask at the hardware store.

[edit on 10-13-2007 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I think you want an air supply mask rather than a filter.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

This is a key BTW. In the hospital we get fit tested and instructed on how to use the N-95 masks each year. That is someting to consider.......

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the input.
I'm looking for a good all-purpose mask (filtering everything from dust to pathogens).
I understand that establishing a proper fit around the face is of paramount importance - i'll check out vendors, pricing, and value for those mentioned here.
Thanks again!!

The Preparedness Center website was interesting...
www.preparedness.com...

[edit on 13-10-2007 by AtlantisAgain]

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Again about fit, You have full face masks and half masks. If you have facial hair you cannot wear a half mask, the hair will not let it seal properly against your face.

If you have a beard, You have to go with the full mask that covers your head.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Wow Valhall, FredT, and mrwupy, all in one thread. We are in the presence of the ATS elite.

A good mask will cost you, but this is one area you don't want to skimp. A word of warning, there are a whole lot of surplus mask flooding the internet these days. Most of these mask don't work and some are down right dangerous. Research this carefully. Also don't buy a used mask or so called surplus. I am all about surplus clothing and stuff like that but I flat out will not buy a surplus mask. you have no idea of the history of the mask. Please buy brand new and be careful
The one I prefer can be found on the link below

MSA Millennium CBA/RCA Gas Mask

[edit on 13-10-2007 by angryamerican]

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
An S-10 should see you right under most conditions... Cheap too!

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimmyBlonde
An S-10 should see you right under most conditions... Cheap too!

Be aware that the S10 will be useful against most inhaled CBRN threats, but is competely useless against smoke. The filters need to be changed regularly and the resi can't be immersed in water. This is the case for most filter-based respirator systems.

A mask is only effective against inhaled threats. A suit is needed for proper protection, as the majority of modern threats can be absorbed through the skin.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
That brings up a good point. I have a m17 gas mask, with nbc filters, so will that also prevent smoke? Im happy with the m17 it fits good and isnt to bulky, the down side is that if you have to change the filters it takes like 30 minutes, and have to be careful not to rip anything

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I don't think so. The droplets and particles in most CBRN threats are much larger than smoke particules. Also, smoke usually means fire, which usually means massive O2 consumption which means suffocation. Best bet if it comes down to fire or smoke is to have a closed O2 system.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Pandemic situation- you might want to look at filtering the air in a room, in addition to a mask for an individual. Filter the safe room (using positive pressure) and survive there with the family, use the mask when you need to leave. Positive pressure would remove the problem of air leaks. Use a real HEPA filtration positive pressure unit, not something sold on TV. Not a cheap solution, but keeps you alive until vaccine is available in your area. (also works great for allergies) Look at the negative air machines used by hospitals in case of a pandemic to create negative pressure rooms to isolate infectious people. The negative air machines sold at www.mintie.com can do both, positive and negative pressure. Check out the filtration efficiency.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

top topics

join