It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noone cares about Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
It's interesting to note that in the circles of friends and coworkers I am around nearly everyday, that very few that the USA has returned to Mars, not once but twice this month! An amazing feet, not to mention some outstanding photos being sent back to Earth.

Maybe I am just one who is thrilled to see these vehicles on the surface possibly breaking new ground in space exploration. I continue to hear many of the same comments, from people, "why are we there?" or "why are we spending all this money?"

With plans to return to the Moon and Mars, I am very excited for the space program being "reborn" and funded, it is time to move on, out of the aging space station and shuttles. These kinds of structures and vehicles we dreamed about years ago. We need a new science fiction to look forward to.

[Edited on 25-1-2004 by Oswald]

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
The reason why people don't care about space exploration in my opinion is that if it doesn't benefit them, then why should it matter. I believe that in a world of materialism and self-centered thoughts, people don't care unless it affects them.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
i care about going to mars. i want to go there my self

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
i care about going to mars. i want to go there my self

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
IKnowNothing, yeah I can identify with that. Someone asked me what we were doing on the surface, I told them the rovers were looking for water. I received nothing but laughter as a response.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
"The reason why people don't care about space exploration in my opinion is that if it doesn't benefit them, then why should it matter. I believe that in a world of materialism and self-centered thoughts, people don't care unless it affects them."

it really comes down to what floats your boat. i find it interesting but im sure many people find it boring.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Part of this problem is the low attention span, instant gratification culture that is more dominant in today's thinking than it was 40 years ago when we began the space race. There are benefits to be had, but nothing that will effect them by the end of the week.

Everybody wants to see results today just because the research and development of the project are being paid for today. Most people lack the patience to follow the story from start to finish. They only see today, instead of thinking big picture.

[Edited on 1/25/2004 by TheDemonHunter]

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
unfortunately some people are too involved with their own personal materialistic lives to notice or care what else happens on this earth....basically like GeniusSage said, if it doesn't affect them, then it doesn't matter.

I am pretty sure your circle of friends who shows no interest in Mars, probably don't show much interest in other current events either:

like the civil conflicts that has been occurring in Burundi, and other places like Sudan, Somalia, Ivory Coast, Liberia since the early 90's till present.

It just perspective, some people's window of perspective is extremely narrow, while many others have a much larger window of perspective. You can judge people's perspective differences just by looking at some of the posts on this site.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Well I thought it was in our nature to be curious? I know many years ago this would've been great for everyone, but now people are too impatient, everything has to be fast. Maybe we shouldn't be in such a rush to die eh? Let's slow down.

Alot of people are probably thinking "Mars? Cool, when do we get to go? at least 30 years? Who cares then what's the point?"

Which is very sad, as I am extremely excited by all this. Unfortunately for some people the excitement of being on another planet isn't enough, they have to start coming up with wild theories about the Mars Rover being tampered with by aliens, which I think is really sad.
Isn't the fact that we are there not exciting enough?

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Hey Oswald,

I care. Almost everyone I know cares. Maybe you don't care, because you don't pay attention. Maybe you are the type of kid that was secluded as a child. Never going out and exploring the woods. Never imagining finding a secret passage or new cave. The type of kid that was never curious. I want to see the human race expand its knowledge. I am fascinated by these types of things. I would argue that many people are. So if I were you, I would keep the lid on the box your in closed. Don't open it up. You might have to use your brain and think when you see the outside.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
Hey Oswald,

I care. Almost everyone I know cares. Maybe you don't care, because you don't pay attention. Maybe you are the type of kid that was secluded as a child. Never going out and exploring the woods. Never imagining finding a secret passage or new cave. The type of kid that was never curious. I want to see the human race expand its knowledge. I am fascinated by these types of things. I would argue that many people are. So if I were you, I would keep the lid on the box your in closed. Don't open it up. You might have to use your brain and think when you see the outside.

Um.... did you actually read Oswald's post or did you just read the title and guess at what he was writing?

His posting states that he is "thrilled to see these vehicles on the surface possibly breaking new ground in space exploration." This is while his co-workers asked why we're bothering to go.

So where did that attack of yours come from?

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Can this "new" space race not be compared to that of the early 60s, when JFK made "man to the moon" speech? While I am not old enough to remember the speech or the early launches (born in '69) it seemed the nation was excited about this prospect to beat the Russians and get into space.

These days though, the nation's interests do not lie into learning what lies on Mars or do not see a reason to go back to the moon. I for one, like some of you are all for this space exploration. I am also glad to see the administration wanting to return to space.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Seapeople, yeah my friend, read it again, many of the people I associate with are not at all interested. I for one, am very interested in this sort of space exploration. I just find it strange that very few of them know about the Mars exploration.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I think the problem is that we aren't really getting anything from going to Mars. While a scientist might drool over knowing the soil composition of Mars, I won't. We were excited to go to Mars the first time because it was new. but we've been there, done that. Unless something really exciting happens (like finding life), there's really nothing of interest in two little robots rolling around the Martian plains.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oswald
Can this "new" space race not be compared to that of the early 60s, when JFK made "man to the moon" speech? While I am not old enough to remember the speech or the early launches (born in '69) it seemed the nation was excited about this prospect to beat the Russians and get into space.

I was born in '73, but I was wondering how long it would take for this to happen once China announced their plans for lunar exploration. Perhaps President Bush is hoping that "Space Race II" can help turn people's attentions from the tenuous situations we face overseas here on Earth, just as they did at times in the 60s.

Even if that is the case, I'm all for a renewed dedication to the US space program. We needed to give NASA a direction, a goal to shoot for, and now they have a specific task that has long-range implications once more.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Yup, I agree! Bush wants to beat China to the Moon. You might be right considerind the situations we are faced with right now...

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
A lot of people are just too wrapped up in their immediate materialistic & selfish little lives. Others lack the Brain power to understand the significant little events that make up the world. Some simply do not have the Creativity to find Exploration or the Discovery of New things interesting.

Then there are those who most likely would be interested if it was presented in a different way than it is. A lot of people need to be exposed to more than 1 min. quicky segments on the local news or the back page of the news paper before they piece together what is really happening.

In todays "Boob Tube" media frame work people are bombarded with meaningless novels and countless theories dedicated to things like "Paris Sex Video" "Opras fat buster" "Why you should be thinking about your pet's retirement" or some other BS. Their heads are filled with worthless information about pointless subjects and celebrity gossip and most have no clue about many events that are taking place.

Then on top of that what little they are exposed to is usually presented in a way that mirrors you typical High School History Teachers Robotic Voice and Tastless Lesson Plan. When the "Cool Events" do actually happen, they are usually kept secret and swapped out with stories of "Swamp Gas" or "Reflections from Jupiter" and lame crap like that too. So in some ways I can't really blame some people for saying "the hell with it" and mindlessly "clicking" their way back to "Cops" and "Judge Judy" and submitting to a blissful contentment of purposelessness.

EDIT: Purposefulness to Purposelessness. (I don't even know if it's a real word, but who cares. Nobody reads my genius ranting anyway!)

[Edited on 25-1-2004 by mOjOm]

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I guess that you just have some people that look up at the night sky and just see a bunch of stars and a moon and think nothing of them but you have others that look at the night sky with wonder and awe at the whole magnitude of everything and want to reach out there and know everything that there is to know about what awaits us out there.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It saddens me people don't care about such things.
I'm not from US but I was watching as pics were received on cnn with excitement.
Mars could be future for mankind, but if you tell this to some people they will just start laughing and saying martian jokes.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
A lot of people are just too wrapped up in their immediate materialistic & selfish little lives. Others lack the Brain power to understand the significant little events that make up the world. Some simply do not have the Creativity to find Exploration or the Discovery of New things interesting.

Then there are those who most likely would be interested if it was presented in a different way than it is. A lot of people need to be exposed to more than 1 min. quicky segments on the local news or the back page of the news paper before they piece together what is really happening.

In todays "Boob Tube" media frame work people are bombarded with meaningless novels and countless theories dedicated to things like "Paris Sex Video" "Opras fat buster" "Why you should be thinking about your pet's retirement" or some other BS. Their heads are filled with worthless information about pointless subjects and celebrity gossip and most have no clue about many events that are taking place.

Then on top of that what little they are exposed to is usually presented in a way that mirrors you typical High School History Teachers Robotic Voice and Tastless Lesson Plan. When the "Cool Events" do actually happen, they are usually kept secret and swapped out with stories of "Swamp Gas" or "Reflections from Jupiter" and lame crap like that too. So in some ways I can't really blame some people for saying "the hell with it" and mindlessly "clicking" their way back to "Cops" and "Judge Judy" and submitting to a blissful contentment of purposelessness.

EDIT: Purposefulness to Purposelessness. (I don't even know if it's a real word, but who cares. Nobody reads my genius ranting anyway!)

[Edited on 25-1-2004 by mOjOm]

Thanks, you said what I was trying to say alot better.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join