It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shadow People are Nonsense.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I'm glad Valhall brought up the Ghost Hunters episode of the
St. Augustine lighthouse. Here's the clip:

youtube - TAPS St. Augustine Lighthouse

After watching a couple seasons of Ghost Hunters, and having a personal
experience of my own when I was a young'n, I find it hard NOT to believe
in ghosts and such.

There's no question in my mind that these beings exist.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

This is to both you and Zysin5...I may have been a little abrasive with the title of the thread and if that is how it is being viewed I apologize. Yes the original post is my opinion also based on how I view what I have read. That is what this site is for, if there weren't opinions based on personal views there wouldn't be much of a site. I thought that I had made it clear that even though yes I feel that this phenomenon is relatively nonsensical, I am keeping an open mind to there being some truth to this at the same time. Which is why I want pov's from both sides of the issue. I thought I expressed that well in my other posts, and if I didn't I apologize once more. I'd like this to be a candid discussion, without anger; people can debate an issue they disagree on without it turning personal. Again if I have offended I am sorry; I have stated what I believe, if you don't agree then lets discuss it. Don't just decide that none of this is worthy of your time. A lot of people feel the same way that I do.... and there a lot of people that feel the way you two do. Maybe we can find some middle ground we can agree on. That's up to you.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by aecreate

Thanks for the link. I never said that I don't believe in ghosts. I just can't accept shadow people as the are generally described, classified, etc. Anyway, I'll be checking out that vid shortly. Thanks again.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

Ah, I've gone back and reread your original post..

I believe shadow people are different than ghosts.
I'm also using the wiki definition of Shadow people

Shadow people (also known as shadow men, shadow folk, or shadow beings) are said to be shadow like creatures of supernatural origin that appear as dark forms in the peripheries of people's vision and disintegrate, or move between walls, when noticed.[1]

Reports of shadow people are similar to ghost sightings, but differ in that shadow people are not reported as having human features, wearing modern/period clothing, or attempting to communicate. Witnesses also do not report the same feelings of being in the presence of something that 'was once human'. Some individuals have described being menaced, chased, or attacked by shadow people. There have also been reports of shadow people appearing in front of witnesses or lingering for several seconds before disappearing. Witnesses report that encounters are typically accompanied by a feeling of dread.

The thing I saw when I was a kid did not fit the definition of a ghost,
it was a shadowy, featureless figure. While they appear to have ghost-
like qualities, they seem to be a distinct type of paranormal being.

But I most certainly agree that grouping them together with greys and reptilians is rather silly.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

You haven't offended me, seriously. I'm pretty hard to offend and I consider that the majority of being offended is in the offended. You have to decide to be offended in order for that to take.

Yes, it was your title and stance going in that turned me off. But I'll be glad to share what I have on this.

I had my own personal experience with a shadow person (I believe I've shared it at least once before on this board). So there's no question for me that they exist. It wasn't a "corner of the eye" experience, or even questionable. I viewed the shadow being for probably half an hour or more and it interacted with me. It had a negative effect on me. From my own experience they are real, and they are malevolent.

It doesn't really impact my personal experience too much to hear some one say they were half psychotic, possibly on drugs and seeing things and therefore after they've pulled themselves out of the gutter they have summarily dismissed all their self-induced hallucinations and therefore what others - who did not abuse drugs or trip the light fantago with sanity - have experienced. If you choose to completely disregard the spiritual side of the complete universe in which we live, that's your decision, but there are a fair number of us who choose to not dismiss the unexplainable just because we choose not to posture ourselves in a self-aggrandizing position via a faux d-ego and a false sense of importance to (in only the delusional's mind) achieve our self-made position of some type of truly unsubstantiated position of intellectual superiority. And no - I'm not talking to you, OP. But I'll damned sure not miss the opportunity to point out to whomever I am speaking to that the situation is totally transparent.

There's plenty of people who have had similar experiences to mine with the shadow beings. And there is video and photographic evidence that is hard to sweep aside.

It's not nonsense. It's extra-normal. It's beyond the current science. Being beyond the current science does not equate to nonsense...it equates to a situation begging for science to advance.

That's my thoughts, and my counter view.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I have an idea of what these apparitions are, and the sounds they make.

When they make sound, it's typically faint in volume and usually something like responding to a question or asking for help. Help is very common to hear a 'ghost' say, if theres anything common about ghosts. If the sound is faint it must require alot of "energy" for lack of a term for the apparition to create for your hearing pleasure. This must mean the apparition may not be fully aware of whats going on, might be stuck in "twighlight zone", or might be in a perma-loop and unaware of itself.

What I do know from Religious study, particularly studying Judaism which is what Christianity is rooted on, is that the afterlife or should I say "afterdeath" is not as white and black, heaven or hell as people make it out to be.

In fact, the majority of people go to Sheol, the inbetween place, or the place where they lie in wait for the resurrection when God sends the Messiah and all that. Purgatory is based loosely on this same idea and probably stemmed from it. The way Sheol is used throughout the Old Testament by the Hebrews, one can assume it is the 'normal thing' for a person who is not devout and good, yet is not diabolically evil either. For the person who doesn't believe, but doesn't disbelieve. The majority. And you are stuck in Sheol until the resurrection/judgement.

Sheol is described as literally the grave, so under the earth. To be in Sheol is to be buried in a sense. And so we see that Sheol is quite common after all. I'm of the opinion that someone can get stuck in an aware, psychic state whilst in Sheol, and travel the Earth, or be bound near a point where your psychic energy, for lack of a better term, was strongest in life. So the place you lived the longest, your fondest place, or perhaps where you died suddenly and tragically.

The fact that spirits ask for help chills me to the bone and makes me want to fall on my knees and start praising God right now. What a terrible fate to have to sit and watch creation until its' very end, until the judgement, much like a prisoner on death row waits years and years just to be executed at the end. I hope I don't end up like that.

On the flipside, I have lost all fears of the paranormal affecting me in any way shape or form, even if it were to startle me, ever since I found God. And some of the weird things that might occasionally happen have stopped in frequency since I have converted. I think that for a good number of these spirits, God isn't someone they are on good terms with or know how to be with, or are seperated from for some unfortunate reason. And they seem to be scared of the Lord and his workers, except the most demonic spirit.

[edit on 10/13/2007 by runetang]

[edit on 10/13/2007 by runetang]

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

It's amazing the things the brain will manufacture, and even more amazing that people believe they are real.

You can't explain someone else's realty to them. No more than I can tell you the sun shines in the dark and the moon shines in daylight.

What we believe as reality, is just a mere reflection of how we perceive the world we live in. And for each one of us, it is different.

I only say this because I detect a faint amount of cynicism in your post. Nothing is amazing about what people believe, I believe.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I agree Orisis. Shadow people are nonsense. So are ghosts. So are ufo's. So is that creepy old hag that sits on people's chests. I also believe gravity, quarks, nanotechnology all nonsense. Cheeseburgers, freedom fries, bagels...nonsense. Nonsense I say.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I don't know about this one.
First off, it IS pretty assumptuous to tell people that what they are seeing is "nonsense".
Secondly, i recall my friend back in high school telling me something.
Her grandmothers house had been badly burnt in a fire (no-one died), her grandfather had already been dead for some time, with neither my friend or her brother having met him nor seen photos).
Two things happened to her and him. Her brother went there to sort some stuff out and came back describing to a tee, his dead grandfather sitting in a chair.

But more interesting is that later, when my friend visisted and stayed over at her grandmothers place (dont remember if it was the same place or different), she said that she had been upstairs, on which there was a long landing, and had seen a shadow on the wall. Big and black, it didnt seem to come from anything else. It would stay in the centre of the wall until she was at the end of the landing and then "fly towards her".

That story creeped me out when she told me.
I think there are alot of things we dont understand, and if you dont believe them thats fine. But to imply that people who have seen them, must have been on drugs, alcohol or merely hallucinating...is a tad arrogant.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Geek, if Orsiris (the chosen one) tells us it's all nonsense, it's 'all' nonsense. Who are we to think any different. Osiris is god or somtin'. I personally really dislike those who tell me what anybodies reality is, the osirises, the majormalfunctions and their occums razor can all take a long walk off a short pier.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Geek, if Orsiris (the chosen one) tells us it's all nonsense, it's 'all' nonsense. Who are we to think any different. Osiris is god or somtin'. I personally really dislike those who tell me what anybodies reality is, the osirises, the majormalfunctions and their occums razor can all take a long walk off a short pier.

yeah, had a feeling you were being sarcastic in your previous post

It is rather ridiculous though. To me, to say that anything we cant explain is nonsense, is like saying, the only things that are real are those things that CAN be explained.
I am sure that some people see these things because of hallucinogens and the like. But i find it impossible to believe that everyone who has experienced something like this, is deluded.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Blanket statements such as, he always, she never etc. are lies unto themselves and volatile.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
Just to confirm my own sake... were you looking directly at whatever it was? Was it standing on its own? (not attached to another natural shadow)

Hi Osiris. Yes, to answer both questions. We looked at it dead on, and also it was standing on it's own. Not attached to another shadow, in fact, it was seen in a hallway in which the light was turned on (very small space so the light flooded it).

We had some scary things happen in this house, so yes, it could be possible that we were under stress because of those things. I don't rule that out as a possibility.

One other thing I think is worth mentioning...considering that other scary things took place in our house, we didn't get a malevolent feeling when it appeared. We weren't really afraid of it and didn't feel fear, just shocked to see it is all really. It was just "there". Some people report that these things are "evil" or put off that vibe, but we did not feel that at all.

Interesting conversation and I look forward to reading more.

I did draw a sketch of the thing if anyone wants me to post it, although I'd have to go looking through the board rules on how to post an image. It was very tall (taller than a door frame) and very thin.

I have never seen another one since then, it was a one time experience so far.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by shockedonlooker

Hi Osiris. Yes, to answer both questions. We looked at it dead on, and also it was standing on it's own. Not attached to another shadow, in fact, it was seen in a hallway in which the light was turned on (very small space so the light flooded it).

In my particular case the shadow being was seen both in the dark and with a light on. It paced back and forth in the room for some time, and then approached me.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
In my particular case the shadow being was seen both in the dark and with a light on. It paced back and forth in the room for some time, and then approached me.

So what did you do when it approached you? Mine didn't move, so I've always been intrigued when other people say they move or pace back and forth. Here is a drawing, but you'll have to excuse my artistry. There are no hands and feet because I really didn't remember seeing them, and he is sort of flattened up against the wall. There was no hat, like some people say they've seen, and no way to distiguish sex, but we felt it was male for some reason. The light source was directly above and slightly to the right within the hallway:

Shadow Man

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
i have also seen one of them 3 yrs ago me my mother and her friend and his child went camping and one night i was sent to go get some water from this hoes thing sticking out of the ground and so i went and when i was about 3-4 feet away something that looked like a human but had claws and was like a shadow was in almost like a crouched position sort of slowly ran across in front of me. the car lights were on so i would have seen (if it was a natural shadow)it attached to the thing projecting the shadow. however there wasnt one it was an individual shadow than slowly ran towards my camp but when i went after it it was gone

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply Osiris1953
I would be very happy to have some talks with you about this subject! And you are right, thats why we are here, to talk about every pov possible!
I had just got out of work, and after a long day I was a bit grumpy there.. hehe sorry if my words came off as a little harsh..
But now that I am fully relaxed feel free to message me anytime, and I would be happy to share some of my personal exp and knowledge about shadow people..
I to can agree that some people take much paranormal out of context and seem to make it bigger than it really is.. I fully agree that there is much none sense when it comes to dealing with paranormal!!

So please keep up the questions! It does us all good to question the very things in which we know so little about

Thanks agin, and keep up the good work.. Its questions that lead to answers.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by shockedonlooker

So what did you do when it approached you?

I just stayed still and then he came up beside me and fell across me (about at the line of my bellybutton) and disappeared as he fell into me.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I guess I can understand why you are being sarcastic and somewhat aggressive. You are absolutely correct that blanket statements and/or broad generalizations are fallacious in any argument. I thought that I had made it pretty clear in previous posts that I am keeping an open mind. If you read my posts beyond the original post you will notice that most of what I have done is ask questions. I haven't purposely gone out of my way to insult anyone or put anyone down for thinking differently from me. I am not a god, and never claimed to be. I have also admitted in another post that yes, the title of the thread is rather abrasive. Think about this though, if hadn't been titled as such would have come in to take a look? Maybe, maybe not. I thought that it would pop out at people enough to get them in the door so to speak. If it is the general consensus that it was wrong of me, then I am sorry.

If you have anything to share about your personal beliefs and/or experiences please do. I have attempted to make a thread that will be someplace for believers/non-believers to state their personal beliefs. In general I will simply ask questions to further my awareness of what people believe concerning this issue. So what if I disagree with you. I am keeping an open mind. The core of my issue with shadow people is if there is a real phenomenon happening, it has been deluded by those who do use drugs, by those who are quick to jump to conclusions, and those who add so many unnecessary conspiracy theories to them.

People around the world disagree about everything from economic policy, to whether the loch ness monster exists, to what they are going to have for dinner. The only way people work through those differences, sway one another, come to some higher understanding, or find some middle ground is through discussion. If you choose not to discuss the issue, that is completely up to you. I'll still be here listening and gathering information on what people have seen, so I can know for my own benefit. My hope is that others will benefit from what everyone has to say, and that we can walk away from this thread when it's all said and done feeling that we may have actually accomplished something one way or the other.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

When it dissipated into you, did you feel any type of internal temperature change? Did you feel this contact was meant to change/harm you in some way?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join