It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St Augustine/ dont give up.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I just wanted to share about saint Augustine. I dont know much about him, but he grew up and loved women and was a huge sinner.

His mother (who was saintly) kept praying for him, and praying, and later in life he turned his life around and repented and became a huge saint.

So whoever is going threw lust, or women, or passion, please dont give up, likewise Christians dont give up on family memebers who deny God because of lust and their lifestyles.

They could become saints.

Please go read about him.

peace.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Thank you for that inspirational story! It has turned my whole view of religion around. I think I can finally hear god calling me! To know such a sinner could be saved! I could only hope as much for my fellow man. If only they could be enlightened as I have by that anecdote. Alleluia! Somebody should probably start praying for me though. Because I honestly could not resist spouting out bs in the previous lines.
I swear the devil made me do it! Of course that's bs too, because I made the conscious decision to be close-mined and joke about somebody's religion. Everyone's got that urge to rant at someone's comment, I apologize but I just couldn't hold it in anymore. :bnghd:

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

my i inquire as to why this particular individual was considered so saintly?

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
SR, i wont say anything to you accept, God bless you.

Madness.

I dont know anything about him, but that hes a saint. I know the church takes very seriously who they make a saint.

You have to of had atleast 3 major miracles in your life to be canonized as a saint by the church, they take it strictly.

Ofcourse he gave his life to others, but I dont know anything esle about him.

But they key artribute of the saints is humility. They attribute everything to God. And do what they are supposed to do.

You would have to read about him, I havent really.

peace.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I reject that comment for I will not be lumped in with the rest of those you see fit to be slapped by those words. I hear pity in them, but sir I have no time for you to look down your nose at me.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
I dont know anything about him, but that hes a saint. I know the church takes very seriously who they make a saint.

really, then how did children who were SUPPOSEDLY martyred by jews that SUPPOSEDLY wanted to drink their blood get canonized.

You have to of had atleast 3 major miracles in your life to be canonized as a saint by the church, they take it strictly.

that's only the recent standards....

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Madness, what is the children mrtyred about, I dont understand?

Shadow R, I know what your doing, im not giving in, God bless you.

peace.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Well, I was just getting some pent up rage out of my symptom. It happens.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Oh, great, the guy who invented Original Sin.

He's someone to look up to. :shk: He told virgins that had been raped during the sack of Rome that they weren't defiled because it's all about their intent. They didn't want to be raped so they didn't sin. I'm sure that was a big load off their minds.

All these centuries of guilt can be laid safely at his door. A man who was so lustful himself that he had to go and ruin sex for generations of Catholics to follow behind him.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   

and became a huge saint.

Whether he's a saint proves what exactly.........? What makes someone being a saint so great......? Didn’t some saint dude get their head chopped off by trying to convert Mongolians, "just remember that from the Simpson’s"....lol.

How do things like that make you a saint and how does being a saint make you any better person.

That’s like some random religion making me their noble prince, and for that reason I’m now better than anyone else.?????

So does being a saint mean you're closer to god....

So.......if Muslims called me the next Muhammad, does that make me the next Muhammad, just because they said so…

so.....does that mean I’m, because the Muslims say i am, make me better than everyone else.......? Being a saint means BS....

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Madness, what is the children mrtyred about, I dont understand?

ok, there are supposed child martyr saints.
they were SUPPOSEDLY martyred by jews who supposedly killed them to drink their blood

this is all based on a myth that jews drink the blood of christian children in their passover rituals.

so, the institution of sainthood isn't exactly flawless

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Love, and do what you like

A famous quote by St.Augustine, seems to be a reflection of the very same attitude that got the world into trouble in the first place.

O Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet.

You gotta love him though!

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
ok, there are supposed child martyr saints.

Can you give a credible source supporting this? I've heard the myth before about the whole children's blood during the passover, but not that these children have been credited as saints by the Catholic church.

As for Augustine himself, he is considered one of the founding fathers of the church, and was extremely prolific. In his work, On Christian Doctrine, he puts forward the notion that scripture should define doctrine rather than tradition or our desires be used to interpret scripture. A lesson very necessary amidst gnostic corruption of Christianity then and a lesson many today could use as well.

MajorMalfunction, I think you're missing some key foundational bricks in your understanding. You mock him for telling virgins who were raped they did not sin because it was not their intention to be raped. Yet, here, today, we have Islamic tradition causing families to disown daughters, or even kill them, because they were raped and therefore defiled. That mentality did not start with Islam, and is not exclusive to Islam. The United States, just 60 years ago, had that mentality, believing a rape victim was not a victim at all. Augustine reassured those who blamed themselves that they were not to blame for being raped. And you condemn him for that? How...Odd.

Today's "enlightened" view of screw anything that moves as long as it feels good mentality, though it may have somehow worked for you, does not satisfy, truly satisfy, human needs and passions despite what the media may tell us.

Finally, guilt is not of Christianity, as Martin Luther discovered a while back in a way that liberated the church from works-based salvation that had started to take over. As Paul wrote in his letter to the church in Rome, in Christ all things are permissible, though not all things are beneficial. Yet, Christ forgives all, and says that our sin is as far as the east is from the west through His forgiveness -- any guilt in a Christian is self imposed and false.

So if I understand your post correctly, you condemn a man for being misunderstood and for reassuring rape victims that it was not their fault. Am I missing something? If so, should I condemn you for that, or try to understand where you're coming from?

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

Little Saint Hugh of Lincoln
new advent, a catholic reference, has some info on him
www.newadvent.org...

William of Norwich is another example...
www.newadvent.org...

alright, this took only a few seconds.

thank you for your time

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Jungle jake.

Faith without works is dead. They go together. the works are from Gods grace so its him inside us doing wokrs.

" Not I but christ works in me "

Andre

" being a saint means bs '

Of course, because your ignorant. Young man, all im saying is that they were proved by miracles.

MM

Major malfunction

After death sex will not exist. You see what seperates angels from men is chastity..

Of course since you dont know what grace is, you dont understand that Gods grace is sufficient to overcome a simple orgasim or living for it alone.

God sees women differently, as a pile of bones with souls, not like us savage men with drolling eyes.

once that grace I described above enters you, you can see women how God does, which allows you to live a chaste angelic life.

Of course after death god will show you what grace is.

Madness.

I don't know if they are saints or not, im talking about the super saints.

peace.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
JIT you are right in one respect that much and that much only I can give you. Salvation is the gift and the resulting works are the result of it. However as is usual for you, you don't think before you speak or somewhere your logic and research falls short. Apparently sex has to exist to the angels or you are not reading your bible, seeing as how angels were having sex with human women at one point, according to the bible. And yes the church has many many saints and what exactly is it that makes one super in comparision to another? And no not all of them are known to even have been real to be honest about it. In modern times yes there are a set of factors that go into the decision but this was not always the case. Even now to it's credit the Church is going back and removing saints that they have no verifiable records of. A large part of the many problems we see you create for yourself time and time again is you will post things on here without using complete thoughts, researching the topic you are posting on, and then respond without doing any supportive research, and then for some reason cannot figure out why you get negative responses.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Madness.

I don't know if they are saints or not, im talking about the super saints.

the church says that they are saints, they have been canonized.
and there are no "super saints" in catholicism, such a term was just invented by yourself.

i've just pointed out exactly how flawed the institution is, now deal with it

new topics

top topics

join