It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity-defying insect discovered? - Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Greetings in Peace, All:

It seems I have discovered a heretofore undiscovered flying insect. Unless, of course, there exists an insect which can make 90 degree turns in less than 1 second.

Perhaps humming birds can do that? But I wasn't told it was a bird, but an insect of some kind, due to 'focus' concerns that can apparently occur only at extremely close proximity to the camera.

Anyway, wouldn't 'g-force' make that not very likely? I don't know, I am asking.

Perhaps a dragon fly? It sure doesn't look like a dragon fly though. Check it out for yourself.

I have posted several pictures of what appears to be a very quick black object in the UFO section.

However, several people, some of whom I have inferred to be experts, have told me that 'obviously', it's an insect. A bug of some kind.

Well, this 'insect' can apparently make sharp-angled turns - about 90 degrees it appears - in about 1/10 of a second. At least twice.

Since there are so many technologically adept people on here, could someone please slow down the clip or at least 'freeze' this object? It appears several times, but the sharp turns occur at about 35 seconds into the clip.

And, I know the resolution or whatever you call it is poor. I don't know much about cameras, 'obviously', so I humbly apologize in advance.

The evidence, however, is still there, and I am sure at least one of you technologically savvy folks can do what it takes to make it visible to us mere mortals.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

[edit on 12-10-2007 by jim_ruff]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Where is the video? All I see is a picture.
Also, there are insects that can withstand hundreds of G's. The insects that 'click' as they jump up, for instance.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Hey thanks for that info, watch-the-rocks. I didn't know that, but it makes sense. I guess fleas fall into that category, right?

How about flying insects?

Anyway, I think all you need to do is 'click' on the picture and the video comes up.

Thanks again for that info.

Jim

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Hello watch_the_rocks,

Thanks for the tip.

peace,
Jim

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Fleas can withstand up to about 100g's, and clicking that picture takes me to the Photobucket home page.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Hello watch_the_rocks,

I did what was 'suggested' in the tips, and it keeps coming up that way. I will withdraw the picture until I figure it out for sure.

Sorry for the inconvenience, as you can see I am not very technological.

peace,

Jim

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Hello watch_the_rocks,

I did what was 'suggested' in the tips, and it keeps coming up that way. I will withdraw the picture until I figure it out for sure.

Sorry for the inconvenience, as you can see I am not very technological.

peace,

Jim

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Hello watch_the_rocks,

Every time I 'preview' the post, it comes up correctly. When I 'post' it however, it comes up to the photobucket home page.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peace,
Jim

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jim_ruff

The link you want is:

s241.photobucket.com...

HTH,

(just copy the tag on the Photobucket page).

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Badge01,

Thanks! How did you do that? Also, did you see it do the turns?

Peace,
Jim

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
What I see is an insect flying very fast across the lens, so that the framerate of the camera only captures an image of it in one frame.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
What I see is an insect flying very fast across the lens, so that the framerate of the camera only captures an image of it in one frame.

Hello watch_the_rocks,

I thought that at first as well. But then I 'captured' it at about 35 seconds by pausing and moving that 'bar' underneath the picture very slowly.

By doing that I can see this object 4 times, fairly clearly. It comes in, moves to the right, then closer to the viewer, then to the right again.

From that perspective, it appears to be making at least 2 sharp-angled turns. In less than 1 second.

Even less than cameras is the knowledge I have about entymology. Do you know of any flying insect that can make those turns in that amount of time?

Thanks for any info.

peace,

Jim

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Is there someone here who has the ability to slow down a video? I think that's the only way to be able to see what's actually going on here.

I am on a different computer right now, and I am not able to see what I did before on a better screen, so I don't blame people for being confused about this.

Once again, this object can clearly be seen 4 times in less than 1 second, doing at least 2 shapr-angle turns.

I know there are experts at analyzing video here.

Peace

Jim

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I am also no professional in Entomology but is it really unique for a tiny insect to be able to make turns that aircraft can't? I mean, I have seen flies do some crazy flight patterns, I have never measured the angles but it seems like this is not something worth investigation. I apologize for being a negative nancy, but if it is merely a bug, why does it have to be a special non-gravity effected bug? Why can't it just be a normal bug?

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I don't know about you guys but just after .36 I see a small bird that swoops in from the left in a shallow dive and flies up in a curve and into the foreground.

The mid picture aerobatic stunt I will assume is the bird capturing a flying insect meal of some type and correcting its flight orientation all while retaining somewhat its original flight path intersecting its meal.

Nothing out of the ordinary there.

A type of Hobby Falco species...

www.birdguides.com...

Behaviour

The species has a characteristic way of feeding - catching insects with the feet and transferring them to the mouth in mid-air.

The following is a quote about the Paradise Flycatcher...

keralaarticles.blogspot.com...

Acrobat.

They flit about in pairs in the shade of pleasant groves and cool places looking for insects, a fly however fast it may be; will not escape from this expert ‘predator’. While flying from tree to tree or turning and twisting like an acrobat in mid-air after insects

Very common in the bird world and although lightning fast to the human eye all very normal.

[edit on 15-10-2007 by robertfenix]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix

Nothing out of the ordinary there.

Greetings, robertfenix:

Thanks for your very informative and well-intentioned post.

I would be interested in your further analysis after viewing the following.

to the Moderator: Every time I 'preview' this post, it comes up correctlly. When I post it, it just goes to the photobucket page. What am I doing wrong? Peace.

This is apparently another view of what I call a "Black Checker".

The interesting thing I have just noticed is that in all these clips, there seems to be a common 'thread'. The picture appears to get shaky just before and after the craft appears. Check it out.

So you really believe, sincerely, after viewing this clip that is merely an insect? If so, how do you explain the jittery picture just before these things come into view, and the stable pic after?

Remember, no one is holding the camera, as you can see in the rest of the clip.

Peace to us all.

tt96

[edit on 16-10-2007 by jim_ruff]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I am going to call that "wind buffeting" check the patch of trees in the background typical wind speed I am going to say 18 to 20 mph with occasional 40+ mph bursts.

this cause the camera mount to rock due to wind buffeting from the 40+ wind gust followed by a bird riding within the same high speed patch...

The nose of the wind gust creates a virtual low pressure vacuum behind it much like a car passing through the air, birds enjoy the high speed low drag air pockets when they can find them as it reduces their energy consumption to stay aloft.

again nothing out of the ordinary, just look at the deflection in the tree mast in the back ground and you can get a sense of the wind gust.

top topics

join