It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seaport found on Mars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Many years in Coast Guard aviation has me seeing ports on Mars. Anyways, since the strip itself is 3km across, that puts the width of this image at about 1km, the "port" running at about 1/3 km. Not too big, not too small. A municipal wharf maybe.

I'm adding a signature
"I don't believe half of what I say"

[edit on 12-10-2007 by jaywoo]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 03:42 AM
link   
This is clearly not a sea. It doesn't help that the resolution is low and there is a strong contrast between light and dark. Liquid water cannot exist on Mars as the atmospheric pressure is too low, unless you know otherwise that is.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Thanks for looking into this. Atmospheric pressure is now too low, but was it always such? I belive i've heard theories about other options such as liquid ammonia in mars "clouds". Could there be another option for an "ocean"? If you look at the high resolution images, the area just screams "dried up ocean". The cracked pattern would be hard to explain any other way.

At the same time, I would have thought the artificial constructed nature of the image would have been of interest.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jaywoo

Hi Jaywoo. I think the general consensus is that Mars was probably was a lot wetter many millions of years ago. I think if you look at some of the close up pictures of Mars, there are clearly channels, and river beds. To my mind, Mars may have had oceans, rivers and lakes millions of years ago, when it's atmosphere was thicker. So yes, you may have found a dried up bay! One of the reasons Mars lost its atmosphere is it's lack of magnetic field. This means that energetic particles stripped away the atmosphere over time- rather like the waves eroding stones to sand on the sea shore.

Recently it has been suggested that there might still be pockets of water deep within Mars. Every now and then water finds it way to the surface (then evaporate). A fanciful idea perhaps Jaywoo!

[edit on 16-10-2007 by timelike]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
You wouldn't happen to have any Google Earth photos of other seaports to compare it to, by any chance? That might be a good way of comparing the two.

Another thing you might want to think about is that around most seaports there are usually all kinds of buildings and roads leading to and from it to transport the people or cargo or whatever. That's kind of the point of having a port. And if the port itself managed to survive all these years, it stands to reason that there ought to be stuff like warehouses and roads in the area, too.

Just a thought.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
well, if you ask me its a damn cool pic. But if you think about it...a man made port, something like the pic, would prolly look something like that after years of erosion...nothing would be left except the actual excavations or changes made to the landscape. So against all odds...it could of at one time been a small port. Maybe just the leftovers of a port....maybe just a part of the natural landscape...who knows till we get there...

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I honestly think that if there is anything artificial on mars, it would have to be millions of years old. Meaning, of course, that it would be in complete ruin at this point in time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join