It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I am not mad at a Mexcian flag being flown higher than an American one.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
So we've all heard about the Mexican flags being flown higher than American ones in what most of us think as sovereign American territory. But what if it is *not* in fact sovereign American territory?

Let's go back to the Mexican-American war. What did Mexico's borders look like prior to that conflict? They were a heck of a lot bigger, encompassing about half of what we now consider the United States.

en.wikipedia.org...:Map_of_Mexico_1847.jpg

But of course, all that changed after Mexico lost that war. I argue that the Mexican-American war was an unjustified act of aggression without provocation against a sovereign nation. In fact, it began when America sent troops within sovereign Mexican territory in what I will argue was a deliberately provocative move.

en.wikipedia.org...

So, dress it up however you please, the unpleasant fact is that America stole Mexican land, precisely where these flags are being flown.

[edit on 12-10-2007 by uberarcanist]

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
same here, not angry. they're just pieces of cloth with designs on them, no need to get into a hissy fit over them

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Good points Uber and Madness. That's how I feel as well. When the Mexicans start storming the White House, then I'll get upset, but not over this. They are making a statement, a peaceful one at that and aren't attacking anyone or aggressing on them. I think we have other more important problems to worry about in this country.
Uber, you're pretty brave to start a thread on this topic, hope you don't get roasted too badly.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
According to the Wikipedia article that I just read, the war was over Texas and it's annexation and where the border should be. The USA cited the treaty of Velasco where General Santa Anna of Mexico said that Mexico would recognize Texan sovereignty and the Rio Grande as the boundary. Mexico said that it never officially recognized the treaty. The people in Texas wanted to become part of the US, because they were Americans, but Mexico didn't want that because they wanted to settle it--despite the fact they weren't able to control what was going on 1000 miles north of Mexico City. I think that Mexico's reneging on his treaty was a just cause for aggression because of all the American's living in Texas.

The fact of the matter is that Mexico signed the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and they ceded a huge swath of land the America and Mexico in return got $15,000,000, which is half of what they would have gotten if they would've just accepted America's original offer. So, it's not like Mexico wasn't compensated for the land--we didn't just take it from them.

Then in 1853, the Gadsen Purchase was formalized and we bought from Mexico what came to be known as southern Arizona and New Mexico.

Another thing that should be noted is that it's a law in America that no other flag can be flown higher than the American flag.

Here are the sources that I used:
Mexican-American War
Gadsen Purchase

Shalom,
Tom

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Hi Tom: THanks for the information. Do you know anything about how California came to be part of the U.S. and not Mexico? I remember studying about it in 4th grade but that was about 2 centuries ago

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
On Wikipedia, it says that just before the start of the Mexican-American War that there was an attempt to make a 'California Republic'. But it failed because the US Navy sent ships into the San Francisco Bay and America occupied it. [Before this time though there were plenty of Americans settling in California]. After a series of battles, a treaty was signed in 1847 which secured American control of California.

Here's the source:

California History

Shalom,
Tom

[edit on 10/14/2007 by octotom]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by uberarcanist

What is the matter with you? Are you not a Patriot? They are crossing are borders and taking our country, and jerks like you do not care. People have died fighting for this country. I am a Patriot, I will go down fighting for America. God Bless those that have fought and died for your right to say they fought for nothing. You should be ashamed. Oh perhaps you are one of the millions of illegals in this country.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Hell, we stole America if I remember correctly.

America, home of the thief.

new topics

top topics

join