It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Next Top Disasters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'm not sure if there are any current running threads about this topic.

There are many things in nature that could bring our society to a grinding halt, simply by destroying us all, or It could also damage us so bad that we never recover from it causing our civilization to decline.

Most of the following will happen, its just a matter of when.

America's Next Top Disasters:
Ranking determined by likelihood and potential impact
1. Levee Failure in the Sacramento Delta
2. Flooding in the Upper Mississippi
3. Indian Point Meltdown
4. Earthquake in Missouri
5. Eruption at Yellowstone
6. Tornadoes in Dallas
7. Landslide at Mount Rainier
8. Tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard
9. Massive Power Failure in Boston
10. Rupture in the Alaska Oil Pipeline
America's Next Top Disasters

Also this:Natural Disaster Risks

Earth might seem like a more active and dangerous place than ever, given the constant media reports of multiple natural disasters recently. But a broader view reveals that it's not Mother Nature who's changed, but we humans.

Drawn by undeveloped land and fertile soil, people are flocking to disaster-prone regions.

This creates a situation in which ordinary events like earthquakes and hurricanes become increasingly elevated to the level of natural disasters that reap heavy losses in human life and property.
Scientists: Natural Disasters Becoming More Common

and this: Global Disaster Hotspots: Who Gets Pummeled

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
From what I have read about and watched shows on, I fear the Yellowstone eruption would be the most devastating one to life on our continent.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Interesting thread.... funny how the San Fran earthquake isn't on the list
and this is the second time (recently from FEMA) I noticed a quake warning
around St. Louis -- didn't know of a fault there.

Any more info, links and/or articles to this specific thread would be appreciated.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Here's a little info for you

quake.ualr.edu...

What happened to the rogue comet collision that had me skeered for so long?

Or those Africanized bee's that were taking over.

Bird flu?

West Nile?

Haunta virus?

Mad Cow disease?

My bet is on Yellowstone blowing up and causing global winter.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
America's next disaster is not on your list. There is a catastophic drought in the southeast. Within 2- 4 months, based on current rainfall estimates, mllions of people will not have access to water in their own homes.

Lake Lanier, Atlanta's primary water reservoir is 14 feet below full capacity and the Army Corp of Engineers is letting 33,000 gallons of water out of the dam per minute. It will soon be dry.

There are 4 million people in the Atlanta metro area alone, not to mention all the towns down stream.

This past summer the Corp of Engineers had an "accidental" release of millions of gallons of water, resulting in a 3 ft. drop in lake level. They did not own up to this action until pressed by local municipalities and residents. They at least owe us that water back by limiting additional releases.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
we're feeling the drought in NC as well. i don't remember the last time we had a good rain. was before summer, that's for sure. i can see the bottoms of lakes i hadn't seen since i moved here 5 years ago. winter isn't especially most in this area so we might be in for some rough times unless things shift back. i have to winder if this will be offset by a deluge of some kind - catastrophic considering the ground is dried up and solid as a rock. nature has a way of balancing itself sometimes.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Earthquake and Tsunamis of Pacific NW coastline, Portland, Seattle, up to Alaska... is also said to be a possibility, striking at anytime.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

Google "New Madrid Fault". The last time it hit here in a big way, the Mississippi River ran backwards, and it made church bells ring hundreds of miles away.

Another quake of the same or greater size would devestate the center of the US, effectively creating two seperate countries for a while. The death and destruction would be unheard of in modern times.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
"Americas next top disaster".....I believe thats coming on FOX this winter, hosted by Ryan Seacrest.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It just occurred to me that with the drought in the SE; if a fire started like the one in southern California, it could be a huge catastrophe. Not even enough water to fight the fire.

top topics

join