It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Chief Wants All Drugs Legalised

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Police Chief Wants All Drugs Legalised

uk.reuters.com

North Wales police chief Richard Brunstrom has called for all drugs, including heroin, to be legalised because current policy is based on "dogma rather than evidence".

Brunstrom said the Misuse of Drugs Act should be repealed as the current UK drugs policy is based upon a "wholly outdated and thoroughly repugnant moralistic stance based upon rhetoric and dogma rather than a rational (and more ethical) philosophy".

He also pointed out that it is impossible to combat an industry worth an estimated 8 billion pounds a year in the UK.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.scotsman.com
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Tobaco and alchohol 'are more dangerous than '___''

[edit on 12/10/07 by khunmoon]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
This chief constable has laid out his arguments in a response to a Home Office drugs consultation, and they are to be presented to the North Wales Police Authority on Monday.

He calls for a new classification scheme -- a scientifically based "hierarchy of harm" to include all substances of abuse such as nicotine and alcohol.

Well, to me it seems fair enough, but I'm afraid it'll be turned down, cause the official economy needs the underground economy, most of all the black one of drug trading. CIA would go broke, wars run out of funding and there would be no money for black ops and dirty tricks, if drugs were legalized.

They have been talking about it for 30 years, and I think the change of mind is there. Unfortunately the change of system is not.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
War on drugs can never be won, in any country,It only feeds secret orders.Like I said before, people will kill you for drugs, make them legal I bet the crime drops to zero.
DWT

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dntwastetime

Like I said before, people will kill you for drugs, make them legal I bet the crime drops to zero.

Whether or not drugs are legalized, they are still going to cost money, and people are still going to kill for them.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I don't think that's true. If you put the drug trade in the hands of the government, I see nothing but good coming from it. They can sell from some kind of state store and even with a massive sin tax, it's going to be cheaper from these stores than from the drug trade. Quality will also no longer be an issue. How many stories have you heard of tainted drugs coming into a community and dozens of people die? This would end overnight if the government took charge of it.

Having said that...should all drugs be legalized? Some of the more addictive ones are still going to lead to problems. Instead of having crackheads and/or heroin addicts stealing to pay the dealer, they'll be stealing to pay the state store. But, if only some are legalized, you still have the illegal drug trade. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation we have here.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
i think it is a fantastic idea but i also think we will never see it in our lifetime. people are too brainwashed.
the war on drugs was manufactured and can not be won.
sooner they come to grips with this, the better

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Whether or not drugs are legalized, they are still going to cost money, and people are still going to kill for them.

Do people kill for Budweiser?

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
There are clinics that provide heavy drug users with there fix. They have to do some work like fill out forms, and go to meetings but they give the heroin addicts there drugs.I think governments should provide drugs to extreme addicts cases because they will keep them off the streets stealing, and murdering for it. Think about it, how much money will they lose off giving away a poppy plants worth of heroin to a criminal addict, to prevent murder.plus it provides addicts with rehab while they are still abusing.This could spiral into major addictions, but I would keep heavy drugs to be administered only at these clinics for free.
marijuana and other less addicting drugs could be provided for the price of a ciggarette pack. Want to stop crime, give the people there drugs.here is the toss up, should i rob this guy ,and potentially end up in prison,or walk down the street and get a fix for free and goto a dumb meeting. I would choose the meeting over the prison risk.

[edit on 12-10-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Yes, but if it was regulated prices would never run that high. In other words, there wouldn't be so much crime committed to obtain it.

Just read today, on the Thai-Burma border a kilo of ganja (marihuana) costs 500 kyats. That's about 33 cents. In Thailand you will have to pay 200-300 dollars for it. In Cambodia, where most of the ganja sold in Thailand comes from the farmer are paid 30-35 dollars a kilo.

You know best yourself what it costs in your neighbourhood. This to tell the enormous profits would dwindle if drugs were legalized. But like dnt said, there wouldn't be any money for secret ops.

Or like I say, CIA would go broke.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamesder

Do people kill for Budweiser?

Kill for budweiser?
Hell no... but i could have killed for a decent pint of beer in few occasions
/Joke

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I'm just saying, cars and guns and money and power are all legal, but people still kill for them. Hard drugs are far more addictive then most things (especially beer), so perhaps as more people have the opportunity to take these substances the more people will get horribly, life-shatteringly addicted. There's no denying that regardless of whether or not a certain drug is legal to take, it's still going to have the same effect. And if the government dilutes the drugs down, then people are going to go straight back to where they can get the good stuff.
Doing a line of coke or taking an eccy or puffing a bong isn't going to kill you any more than most legal substances, but it's the IV drugs you should be worried about.

And I never found a kilo of pot for USD $35 in Cambodia?

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Hard drugs are far more addictive then most things (especially beer), so perhaps as more people have the opportunity to take these substances the more people will get horribly, life-shatteringly addicted. There's no denying that regardless of whether or not a certain drug is legal to take, it's still going to have the same effect.

That begs the question: Do people not take these drugs at the moment simply because they're illegal? The legality of a drug in no way affects my decision as to whether or not I choose to take it.

....but the real question is (for the united states, at least): when did telling people what they can consume become the constitutional right of the government?

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I'm just saying, cars and guns and money and power are all legal, but people still kill for them. Hard drugs are far more addictive then most things (especially beer),

hundreds of thousands of family memers of alcoholics out there that will disagree with that, including me.
beer=alcohol=very much addictive

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I think Frank Zappa looks pretty stoney in your avatar boondock! lol.He probably wanted legalization as well! Of couse there will still be crime for drugs. it will drop maybe 80 pecent, that is alot of crime prevented.And yes people do drugs because they are illegal too, they like to be sneaky or beat the system any way they can, and kids think its cool to break the law, any law.I know I did when I was a kid, if its illegal Im tryin it.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
They could also easily regulate the quality of the drugs, if they're produced and sold properly. That will stop a fair few deaths from dodgy pills etc.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I grew up with an alcoholic and gambling addicted step father. He'd go to the bottle-o and what most people would consume in spirits in 3-4 years he would put away in a matter of hours.
But after that, I've still got to say, heroin and the like can ****up your life far worse than alcohol.

Jamesder, the legality of a drug is usually not an issue when the bag is right in front of you.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dntwastetime
I think Frank Zappa looks pretty stoney in your avatar boondock! lol.He probably wanted legalization as well! Of couse there will still be crime for drugs. it will drop maybe 80 pecent, that is alot of crime prevented.And yes people do drugs because they are illegal too, they like to be sneaky or beat the system any way they can, and kids think its cool to break the law, any law.I know I did when I was a kid, if its illegal Im tryin it.

frank zappa did not do any drugs. he was adamently against them, but you're right...he was very much for the legalization of them.
multiple instances of frank firing members of his band on the spot for using drugs.
just not something he messed with.

a lot of people think frank was like the 'king stoner' and they couldn't be more wrong

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I stand corrected! His eyes look a little pink though thats why I said it, plus the long hair lol. Drugs definetly should be legal. I will go raise some El over it now thanks OP, you got me psyched up baby!!!

[edit on 12-10-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Jamesder, the legality of a drug is usually not an issue when the bag is right in front of you.

Yep, very true..

But that's the same with most things. If it's right there in front of you, all morales will go out the window as temptation gets the better of you.

[edit on 12/10/2007 by nickh]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
A brave and intelligent idea.

I think it's a very good idea.

But unfortunately certain organisations believe the drug trade is necessary (whilst throwing the usual counter smoke screen of 'drugs are bad, we need to eradicate them). This is where the black ops project really begins, from the drug trade... Why do you think despite us invading Afghanistan, we haven't napalmed the opium fields? WHY? Because afghanistan is the supplier of the 92% (or so) of the worlds opium on the black markets.
Think about it...

Deny us the meditative properties of marajuana, yet alcohol is encouraged through the media....

Hmmm...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join