It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funding pulled for manned U.S. missions to Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Funding pulled for manned U.S. missions to Mars

Washington (DC) - In the United States, all funding appropriations must originate in the U.S. of House of Representatives. According to NewScientist, a recent annual budget for NASA includes specific wording precluding any funding for future manned missions to Mars.

More exciting news from nasa ladies and gentleman. In my opinion, the powers that be want to keep us stuck in the 21st century and firmly in there control. On many occasions I've discussed with friend why bumpers fall off or Cadillacs, and why we can't keep a shuttle in the sky. All of this when we put a man on the moon 40 years ago!! So much was learned from Nasa during those years that helped civilization advance. However, if we advance too much we may not be so dependent on our governments.

www.tgdaily.com

[edit on 11-10-2007 by jhamende]
(thanks for adding)

[edit on 12-10-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
In his talks, Philip Corso Jr. says that according to his whistleblower/disinformant dad, deep spaceflight, outside the Earth's magnetic and conceptual fields, is fatal to human beings, and we'll never make it to Mars. Hey, maybe he's right. We've never even sent manned spacecraft a half-million miles away, to see what would happen.

Maybe some rich private enterprise will attempt it someday, though, and see what the reality of the matter is. Live or die.

[edit on 11-10-2007 by Nohup]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Once man thought the world was round someone was going to have to find out the hard way right? Besides I'm pretty sure we have instrumentation to test these things.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Meanwhile we continue to waste Billions killing people in the Middle East...how disgusting.

I am absolutely disgusted by the total lack of imagination, motivation, and overall interest in science that plagues this nation.

Who cares about space...we gotta kill them a-rabs.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TheStarMan

Your right on the money man. Just think about the generation of young boys and girls that were inspired to grow up and do wonderful things from seeing great shows on TV like Star Trek and televised coverage of every NASA event. NASA was huge back then! Now kids are growing up on garbage TV. The outlook on the future is bleak.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
No budget for manned exploration, but that doesn't stop any unmanned exploration from going on. Besides, keep this in perspective; this is only for one year's worth of budget. It's not like NASA has a manned Mars program right now. Thus, it's basically a technicality.

I actually think it's a good idea. We have a lot of things to figure out when it comes to long-duration flight past low-earth orbit, radiation shielding probably being the biggest one. It makes sense to test out new technologies with Project Constellation before even beginning to design a Martian program. Additionally, NASA's budget is tiny, and if it gets too divided between projects, no project will receive the critical mass necessary to keep it going. Constellation is already in enough trouble as it is.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It's still taking a step back even if we aren't ready to do it right this second. You have to have the vision and some sort of timeline in order to make it happen. A manned mission is going to happen faster even if it only had a small but of funding now compared to nothing at all.

I think it's high time we increase the budget for NASA instead of increasing the budget for a war that is simply wasting money and life. Instead of videos on liveleak.com glorifying the amount of pieces we managed to blow some poor bastard into from an AC130, we should have liveleak videos of parts of the Mars mission that they didn't put on TV. Maybe a blooper where the astronaut fell on his butt getting out of the lander

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

Thomas Jefferson

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I decided to go to New Scientist and look up the original article.

Is there life on Mars? Who knows, but if the US House of Representatives gets its way, no human will be making the trip to find out. Its proposed yearly budget for NASA contains a provision banning the funding of anything related to the human exploration of Mars.

space.newscientist.com...

It says "proposed budget" and "if." It's not certain yet. the original article also says that hundreds of people so far have used NASAs website to say that they back a manned Mars mission.

It ain't over till it's over. I suggest everyone concerned by this contact their Congresspersons immediately.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Maybe they should start by "banning" unconstitutional wars.

Either these people are unimaginative, have no understanding of the value of science, or are sinister.

What would you ban something that has been the realization of a dream of humanity and the work of science fiction for decades if not centuries.

Our government and governments around the world like to avoid things that may actually unite humanity...

[edit on 12-10-2007 by TheStarMan]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Thank you for the original link. Your right its simply a proposed budget. Also, yes we need to contact our rep. asap because according to the article you posted the republican controlled house outvoted the ban on appropriation for the project. Now that the house is controlled by democrats they might get there way. That is unless we can get a few democrats to change there mind and outvote the ban again.

BTW, I love the Avatar. What would a pirate do
A pirate would steal the damn UFO and make th greys walk the energy beam or something lol

[edit on 12-10-2007 by jhamende]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhamende
Once man thought the world was round someone was going to have to find out the hard way right? Besides I'm pretty sure we have instrumentation to test these things.

Instruments are good, although we can still only measure things we're already familiar with. Just off the top of my head, suppose there's some unknown psychic component to human existence that necessitates us being relatively close to each other in sufficient numbers in order to survive. Once you get past a million miles or so, maybe an individual, or a small group of people, wouldn't get enough of this socio-psychic stuff, and we go nuts or die. Not saying that there is such a thing, of course. Just supposin'. Science fiction stuff.

Anyway, there's nothing quite like sending a real human being into the void. Yeah, we'll have to figure that one out the hard way.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Excellent point nohup, and there is no way we will know for sure until we do it.

There is no way we would know for sure how humans would react once they went through the van allen belt, but turns out they were just fine.

Astronauts from the apollo missions are still monitored to this day to see if there are any odd effects from going into space. From what I see it, it seems to help longevity if anything...but I would imagine astronauts are starting from a pretty good base of health to begin with, and probably would have lived to an old age with or without going into space.

There are plenty of people who would take the chance to fulfill the challenge. I would, but I am quite certain that I don't physically have "the right stuff"

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Go figure, we can't leave the middle east, now we cant even leave earth. What next Papa George and the big House? 23 1/2 hour curfews?

alright, that was a bit smarcastic. I couldnt hold back.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikedmilk
What next Papa George and the big House? 23 1/2 hour curfews?

I doubt that is too far off.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
uhhhh, yeah. i realized after that fact that a was a bit of an imature and overtly - over the top closer to my comment. i acknowledge there is a bit of insanity going on in what we are supposed to believe is our government and how they have assumed what is beneficial for mankind. We have no control it would seem. I hope that it aint true.

peace

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheStarMan
Either these people are unimaginative, have no understanding of the value of science, or are sinister.

What would you ban something that has been the realization of a dream of humanity and the work of science fiction for decades if not centuries.

Cowardice, evil and politics suffice as reasons. I'll bet simply the fact that George Bush called for a manned mission to Mars is sufficient for the democrats to cut all funding. Two party politics is crazy stupid. George Washington warned us about the formation of political parties and the wasted energy on forming mindless factions.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Your probably right, I do agree that partisan bickering is getting old real fast. I understand that you don't want all the power residing with one group, but the fact that we have people undermining things simply to undermine them is awful, and sadly this may be one of those cases.

Their answer...we need the money to fund government healthcare!

Just what this nation needs, one more bloated bureaucracy.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Let's see... what was the Topic...??

Oh yea, MARS.

Let's try to stay on course, please.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheStarMan

Well the other possible reason is that the aliens have warned us off of manned spaced flight.
That is one popular theory among the conspiracy minded. I still think it is simply a lack of vision that runs hand in hand with a lack of moral convictions.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Remember mars has an atmosphere. A ship landing would have to heat up and be damaged on reentry...how are they going to get home.
The shuttle has a team of hundreds to assist its take off an landing, no such facility exists on Mars.

Humanity should take the space station to the next logical step and build a colony ship, then park it over mars and do what must be done.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join