It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESA releases Cassini images of Titan’s lakes and seas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I thought this was pretty cool to share with everyone. Anyone know why there are so many areas blocked out??

Here is the link to the European Space Agency web article on this.
ESA website

Enjoy

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I think the areas that arent marked are areas which were not covered or flown over by Cassini. Anyway what was phtographed is fantastic. Cant wait til they send it over closer to the polar regions

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I dont think they're blacked out, i just think that thoes are the composite images of the satalite passing the moon.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This is 60% of the North Polar region according to the article. And I just noticed that it is synthetic aperture radar images so the colors aren't correct. It's amazing though , the scientists say that conditions are like what the were like on earth before life started to form.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It is odd what information they gave us.

It looks like a pattern image on a photo editing ... except they used square and round brushes to fill in certain areas only.

I am not claiming cover up. I think it would be a brilliant way to cover it up though

With a program like photoshop/gimp ... and setting it as a pattern, you could of course 'undo' any bits you add that has stuff you don't want to be seen. Sorry folks, no data

I have been on this site too much

Amazing how much these places seem habitable, when a few years ago they were just rocks. What will we be told in another decade or two? What I hope and expect are two different things.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Amazing photos. It crazy that they describe Titan's weather as most similar to Tropical in the way it operates. Nice find.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The false color of the image makes it seem a bit more Earth-like than I imagine it would look in person. Not that any of us will ever see it with our own eyes. I guess the fascination is that it has features similar to our lakes and ponds on Earth, although I suppose this sort of thing should be expected, unless standard hydrodynamics laws don't apply on other planets and moons. Nice patterns.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
That blue stuff you see - it isn't water - its liquid ICE!..

The vulcano's there spew it out too... It's wierd, liquid hydrogen -30 thousend degrees or sumthing...

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Amazing photos!

I think NASA is getting closer to disclosure. Today on the NYT website was a clip about improved radio signaling capacity, crop circles, news topics like N Korea disarming. Maybe w/ a 2012 problem or entering that portion of the galaxy, they'll have to tell us more soon.

Also, I've heard (J Lear) that there's life on these moons, this seems like something could totally live there and NASA hints at life on Titan. Plus, I think that Iapetus, Dione and Pheobe are artificial moons w/ life living IN them, maybe ever our, unnamed Moon.

ON THE EDIT: those 'white out' images could be cities for all we know underneath. Alright ya'll, time to get that Photoshop, etc software out, let's see some areas zoomed in. Find something in these TITAN images!

[edit on 11-10-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Well then everything is going as planned.

Im so thankful for being in these times!!

Next thing is Virgin Galactic selling trips to sightsee the famous "Moons".

-edit-

I am downloading the 184 mb version to look for anomaly's,

my info posted here;

[edit on 11-10-2007 by PureET]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
After reading the article I'm imagining these surface maybe looking something like the last epsidoe of ST:TNG when Picard and Q go back in time "All Good Things". Also, its clear that no matter what the space agency is we never get to see any of the good pictures. These are simply Radar Images. Nonetheless its fascinating. Nasa is funding projects on Earth in extreme environments and they are finding life in areas where no one thought life could thrive (as we know it).

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by PureET
That blue stuff you see - it isn't water - its liquid ICE!..

Does that mean that the ice i have been putting in my jack and coke isn't water

fantastic image OP , i cant wait till they can send a probe into the lower atmosphere of these planets and get some real time video footage.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I dunno, John Lear was the first person I ever heard talking about the moon's gravity was stronger than NASA had previously led me to believe, then I learned that NASA was now saying a higher number than previously . .

Then he said there was life, air, and mining on the moon, which was clearly ridiculous from my previously omniscient position of knowing and understanding everything; yet lo and behold some of the most popular threads on ATS are his moon threads, complete with supporting photo-evidence galore.

Now this. ESA photo-evidence of conditions suitable for advanced life to potentially exist on that distant moon. Again, another of Mr. Lear's crazy fantasies finding reasonable support as a new revelation from mainstream science emerges.

Is the soul-catcher very far behind? I personally hope there is more to me (and us all) than that, a shrink-wrapped ecktoplasmic puppet, but if that turns out not to be the case, what are the options? But really, at this point with the Reptillian agenda at full-steam ahead (who knows what the real deal is, but it's anti-human what/whomever it is, if you ask me, and you didn't), red-light cameras and iBug citizen surveillance, has anything turned out the way you once hoped it might?

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

The new images published today were taken by the Cassini spacecraft and show about 60% of Titan’s north polar region and provide a fascinating new view of Titan’s hydrocarbon lakes. According to ESA, Titan’s polar region is in winter right now: It is raining methane and ethane liquids that are collected on the surface, filling the lakes and seas and carving out rivers and channels on the moon’s surface.

Also the article says that the temps are like -238F. I'm not familiar with John Lear's writings yet and I'm not sure I will ever be. I'm not going to comment on reptilians lol. The most interesting thing about this is that these pics don't come from NASA!

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
These aren't photos...they're radar images. Titan's clouds are too thick for an optical camera to peer at the surface. As was said above, since this is radar data, the colors are false (radar can't detect "color"). The reason for the seemingly "blacked-out" areas is because the radar can only probe the surface in long thin swatches. The areas that appear "blacked out" are areas with no data because the radar has not yet been probed there.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Titan is very cold, like almost liquid nitrogen cold. If there is life it would be very primative as the energy for biological processes is just not there.

Those lakes are liquid ethane and methane. There is no liquid water on the surface.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
These aren't photos...they're radar images. Titan's clouds are too thick for an optical camera to peer at the surface. As was said above, since this is radar data, the colors are false (radar can't detect "color"). The reason for the seemingly "blacked-out" areas is because the radar can only probe the surface in long thin swatches. The areas that appear "blacked out" are areas with no data because the radar has not yet been probed there.

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense, I was wondering why those areas were blocked out. Maybe one day we will be able to get a probe under the clouds and see what the surface really looks like. From what I remember there are similar reason why we cannot get real pictures from Venus is because of the atmosphere. I remember reading that a lander lost contact or something upon entry into the atmosphere. Unfortunately, Nasa has cut funding for projects for Mars and beyond. I started a thread for that here: www.tgdaily.com
Hopefully private organizations and maybe the ESA can take up where Nasa seems to not want to go anymore or rather the folks that fund Nasa.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Golack
Titan is very cold, like almost liquid nitrogen cold. If there is life it would be very primative as the energy for biological processes is just not there.

What are you talking about man, the life on Titan doesn't exactly work the same way as it does over here so how can you be so sure of that statement? Where you there?

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
For those of you guys who said you're waiting for a lander, there actually was a Titan lander along with Cassini that returned very interesting data. I'll let you do the googling because I'm too lazy right now, but the lander was called Huygens. It didn't land in a place where there were lakes, though.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cdrn

Thanks for the information, I didn't know there was a lander. I found pics from Huygens thought I don't see anything that indicates a lander. Here's the link while I look into it.
cassini-huygens

top topics

<<   2 >>

join