It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

stigmata and stigmatics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
i watched the movie stimata recently and have become really interested in stigmata and stigmatics especially as to why every stigmatic has pieced palms but like in the movie crucifixions where done in the wrist to support the body.

im wondering what peoples views on this are and if you guys have some good resourses on stigmata because i have to admit movies and hollywood isnt the best resourse when you are really researching something seriously

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
i cant really explain it as i have not researched it. but i have somthing thats like a rash but boiled but like burnt in a way on my left hand but it dont go to the back of the hand but it dont always stay like.

viewmorepics.myspace.com...

[edit on 11-10-2007 by deathpoet69]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I don't know where the best reading of this is, though this had some interesting things to say:

The phenomenon of stigmata is the miraculous appearance of wounds, like those of the crucified Jesus Christ, without any natural explanation. Those who have and continue to receive the stigmata have been examined by many different doctors, psychiatrists, and Roman Catholic Church officials. These individuals have not been able to find an explanation for the origin of the wounds other than the Catholic Church’s explanation that they are a gift from God. Those who receive the stigmata are typically devout Christians who have devoted their lives to Christ. The stigmata are manifested in many different ways depending on the individual receiving them; there is no “correct” way to receive the stigmata. Despite much study of stigmata, many questions and skeptics remain.

home.wlu.edu...

I think it's a cop-out to say things like "people back then were just ignorant/uneducated/stupid/suffering medically/drug-induced/etc." It takes some real guts to suppose something did in fact happen to them and happens to people today that is unexplainable. Whether it is or is not real, I would never know unless it happened to me. To me it's very weird...a kind of horror-miracle if such pairings of words are permitted. Then again to a believer, so is death. *shrugs*

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Read about hers in my signature.

She was a 24 year old incapable of deciet. She talked as if she were 10 inside and was so childlike and devout that God loved her amazingly.

I read her book.

peace/

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I'm going to catch flak for this one I can see it coming up ahead of the bend!

I think Stigmata is a Psycho-somatic self-caused, subconscious set of wounds brought onto one's self after being subjected to the daily images of the dying flesh of Christ on a pole at the front of Church or Chapel. Notice that this only happens to Catholics, mostly. Note also Catholics focus on the pain of Christ in his last hours more so than any denomination, and go out of their way to try to "suffer with/for Christ, as he did on the cross". They stare and they cry and feel deep inside so damn bad/guilty that Christ was tortured and martyred for their sins, and after a number of years, they just can't take it without showing signs.

And the signs are, wounds to the hands and feet. People try to debunk them and say, "Christ was crucified in the wrists". But he wasnt! He was crucified in the hands, and his feet were placed on a small extending board for a bit of leverage. Alternatively, his arms were tightly tied around the bicep/triceps muscles on both arms by rope, most likely hemp rope, since they used it for *everything rope like* back then.

And so the faithful Catholic actually sub-consciously causes these wounds to appear on their flesh. Psycho-somatic ism. Much like convincing yourself that you have an illness and displaying the signs of it, only to find out you had mentally convinced yourself that you had it and were truly well. I've had this happen to me. I've caused sore throats on myself, I've caused fevers on myself, and I've caused myself to break into rashes. All over the thought that I was ill, but wasn't.

The brain is freaking powerful ... amazing ..

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
You havent read her book.

witnesses, doctors witnessed Gemme (in my sig)

Her hands would start bleeding in their presence, and would (auto) matically close instantly in their presence.

She was incapably of deciet, if you know what innocence and just is

Its a gift from God, and a sign of their holiness, also a source of penance for sinners.

(carry your cross)

peace.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
On her site, read about her relating how it happened, and honestlt tell me, truly, that thats a decietful voice talking.

peace.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by runetang

100% agreed with you.
i am an atheist but i am fascinated with the stigmata.
i read up on some of the more 'famous' cases...

i think it is all in the brain as well

probably my favorite stigmatic

padre pio
en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join