It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this bad taste? (Dead Harry)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I really don't know where I stand on this one.

A controversial statue depicting a dead Prince Harry wearing his Army uniform is going on show in Britain - with his ears cut off.

The creation was originally sculpted with the ears in place, but the artist has removed them after learning about an Al Qaeda threat.

Terrorists - believing Harry would be sent with his regiment to Iraq - had supposedly said they planned to send the Prince back to his grandmother, The Queen, "without his ears".

Sky

The artist says that this is a memorial to those who wish to serve in Iraq, but are unable.

I wished to serve in the armed forces but was unable due to an eyesight condition. I wouldn't say I particularly wished to serve in Iraq - I would of simply done what I was told.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Art is frequently in what society would consider to be "bad taste."

That's what makes us think. It's what makes the art effective.

Maybe it will cause people to think and then pull out of Iraq.

Good art doesn't worry about taste. It's all about the message.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Some dead dude with no ears that isn't really dead and still has both his ears.

Alllrighty then.

I wonder if there is some kind of balance between the amount of hours wasted making crap like that and the amount of lives wasted in Iraq?

Interesting!

MonKey

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I think this IS wrong and IS in bad taste.Whether he is Royalty or not Prince Harry is a person,and a soldier.How would you feel if that was made for you, or your son, or your brother? I would be downright Irate! There are other ways to show that you protest the war without making so called "art" like this.
:shk:

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

I will agree with you Major. While I totally think it is in bad taste my feelings nor anybodyelses should determine what art should be. Art is free expression and it cannot be limited. If a person finds something offensive then they should avoid it.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Actually, AD, when I was first diagnosed with HIV I did a plaster mask of my face, and painted it as if I was dead and rotting. it was quite cathartic, and though I still have it, nobody (including me) wants to look at it much.

I even glued pieces of white rice with little black dots for eyes to represent maggots all over it.

Art is supposed to provoke. If art doesn't provoke a reaction, it's not really art.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
reply to post by AccessDenied

and though I still have it, nobody (including me) wants to look at it much.

Would you ever consider posting a pic of this?

I've shredded / burnt / stamped on anything I've ever done cos I didn't like it the second I thought about it, says something probably.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hummmm. This reminds me of the sculpture of the living dead nude Paris Hilton.

Me thinks Young Harry would have been more interesting had the sculptor had done him nude.

I don't know...something about the family jewels. Uh oh, now that would be bad in bad taste I suppose.

Just a thought.

new topics

top topics

join