It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muon radiation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
i have been in various scientific chat rooms and i have heard of a typr of radiation called moun but i dont know anything about it if anyone has information on muon radiation please share this with me

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Muon's are the heavier brother of the electron. The elemental particles are divided in three generations. The electron is from the first generation and the muon from the second generation. Some information about the muon (source: my school tablebook):

• Symbol: μ-
  • Mass: 207 me (me = electron mass)
  • Charge: -1 e (e = electron charge)
  • Average lifetime: 2,2*10^-6 s
  • Antiparticle: μ+
  • Decay: e- + νμ + νe-

Muon's only appear on earth in three wyas:

• Generated in particle accelerator collisions. A lot of heavier particles decay into a muon plus some other particles, eg. the τ- (tauon) and κ20 (kaon).
  • They can also come from space in cosmic radiation. They can survive the long travel to earth, because they go at a speed very close to lightspeed. Time goes slower for them due to time dilation from special relativity. This is also one of the experiments that prove special relativity.
  • When heavier cosmic radiation particles collide with the atmosphere, they can produce muon's as well.

Since muon's are similar to the electron, I think muon radiation is real and probably similar to β-radiation (the electron kind). The muon mass is higher, making them more dangerous, but their lifetime is very short.

join