It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US city bans smoking in apartments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   
link to ninemsn.com.au article

The city of Belmont just south of San Francisco has banned smoking in multi-unit apartment buildings, making it one of the first cities in the world to take such draconian measures against secondhand smoke.

The Belmont City Council passed the ordinance on a 3-2 vote on Tuesday, declaring secondhand smoke a public nuisance and extending the city's current smoking ban to include individual apartments in multi-unit, multi-story residences.

SNIP!

Under the new ordinance smoking will not be allowed in indoor and outdoor workplaces, or in parks, stadiums, sports fields, trails and outdoor shopping areas.

Smoking on city streets and footpaths will still be permitted.

wow, i understand the need to prevent smoking in common areas such as stairwells and gardens and such, but to ban smoking inside individual apartments?

so you get in your car and cant smoke on the way to work.
you get to work and cant smoke there
you come home after a crap day and just want to light up a fag in your own home, and you CANT even do that!
you cant do it in public parks or even on walking trails.

so now your forced to walk up n down the street for your ciggy fix, which has gotta suck in the colder weather.
then they'd probably do you for prostitution since your walking back and forth on their strip

what is the world coming to when you cant even have a ciggy in the privacy of your own home?
im not a ciggy smoker, but i do see a need not to villify everyone who choses to just because we may not agree with it.

heck, why bother with all these petty little laws. why dont they just ban ciggys altogether if they feel this strongly? its pretty much what theyre doing anyway.
only reason they wont ban ciggy's, is because big business makes money, govt makes money, and ppl will be out of a job.

so now you'll see people going into their own dunny's (aka toilet), turning on the ceiling fan and lighting up in there like theyre doing some kind of serious illegal activity.

this is just political correctness gone way out of hand.

yet if i walked up to a large person who's scoffing down a greasy burger and said "MY GOD MAN!! that stuff will make you fat and kill you! DONT YOU KNOW THAT?!"
i'd probably expect a fist in my face.

as i said im not a ciggy smoker, but i do find it to be a form of extreme political correctness thats being blown out of all proportion.

[edit on 11/10/07 by Obliv_au]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
ciggy?
i have to agree with you on this one. for such a liberal state it sure is not liberal with smokers rights. i'm not a smoker but feel that they should have the right to smoke in the privacy of their own home!
with a disclaimer that if the A/C vents are shared with other units then smoking is not cool because it spreads through the A/C vents.

join