It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DON'T WORRY: Genesis is vague

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Let me say something about miracles: They only happen once, they appear to defy scientific principles, and they cannot be explained or repeated.

Turning water to wine was a miracle.

Feeding 5000 people with a basket of bread and fish was a miracle.

Living in a whale for 3 days and getting vomited out was a miracle.

The Garden of Eden was a miracle.

THE BIBLE DOES NOT TALK ABOUT ANYTHING THAT WAS GOING ON OUTSIDE OF THE GARDEN OF EDEN.

If there was any instance of instantaneous creation, it would have happened in the isolation of the Garden of Eden. Nobody knows how long Adam and Eve would have been kickin' in it in there. It doesn't say how long Adam was all alone before Eve. Who knows what occurred outside the Garden.

And further more, who cares?

----------------------------

Looky here friends.

I'm holding up my Bible in one hand and my Physics for Scientists and Engineers textbook in the other for all to see.

Please look at the Physics textbook... THIS IS LIFE.

Please look at the Bible... THIS IS HOW YOU LIVE.

You cannot swap their roles.

As you may guess, I am religious. I put myself within the "Christian" category.

I also fully accept and embrace evolutionary theory.

In case you haven't figured it out by now, the Bible's creation story is not a play-by-play sequence of events. The story told in Genesis is allegorical. In fact, the account in Genesis comes from two different creation stories that were cut-and-pasted together. On top of that, they were handed down verbally over generations, and naturally many details were either completely lost or muddled in the process before they started writing it down.

Does that mean that it's garbage? No sir. It simply just doesn't provide the exact means by which the world was created by God. But that's okay. What we simply need to understand is that God created us... somehow... and we are here to do [insert your belief system here], and in return, after we die we get to [insert your afterlife here].

A personal hero of mine: Henry Eyring, Sr., PhD. He had a doctorate in Physical Chemistry and received multiple awards for the development of Transition State Theory. He was also a very religious man. In his book "Reflections of a Scientist" he states that he accepts evolution. Praphrasing his words, if God did created us in a big poof, he's okay with it; if God created us through evolutionary process, that's fine, too.

--------------------

Here's something to chew on:
People claim that evolutionary theory is blasphemous because God would never turn monkeys into humans. However, the Bible says that we were created from dirt. I consider a monkey a promotion.

------------------

Here are some prior problems that people had with scientific theories:

Heliocentricity - The SUN is the center of the galaxy, NOT the earth. Bad news for early telescope-gazers. You got killed for saying that the earth was not the center of the universe.

Elliptical orbits of the planets - Now that we had recovered from realizing the Sun was the center of the galaxy, we got some bozo coming along and telling us that the planets did not travel in perfect spheres around the sun, but in more elliptical orbits.

I'm surprised that nobody is mad that the earth's rotation and its orbit around the sun do not perfectly synchronize - that is to say there are not exactly 365 days in a year... it's just a little bit off. That's why we have leap year. I hope I just didn't piss off God by writing that!

Anyway, these earlier theories were fought against just as hard as people fight evolutionary theory today. And yet, 99.9999999% of the population would laugh out loud (not lol) at you if you thought the earth was the center of the universe.

So, in a couple hundred years, 99.9999999% of the population will accept evolutionary theory and will not consider it a threat to their faith.

So relax: God created the world. Somehow. Who cares how?

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by AChE_Inhibitor
In case you haven't figured it out by now, the Bible's creation story is not a play-by-play sequence of events. The story told in Genesis is allegorical. In fact, the account in Genesis comes from two different creation stories that were cut-and-pasted together. On top of that, they were handed down verbally over generations, and naturally many details were either completely lost or muddled in the process before they started writing it down.

Does that mean that it's garbage? No sir. It simply just doesn't provide the exact means by which the world was created by God. But that's okay. What we simply need to understand is that God created us... somehow... and we are here to do [insert your belief system here], and in return, after we die we get to [insert your afterlife here].

The only reason people today think that the bible's account of creation is an allegory is because science has totally debunked it in every possible way. So the only way to accept the bible as true is to see it as an allegory. But I'm pretty certain that before these discoveries were made EVERYONE AND THEIR GRANNY took genesis literally.

And we didn't descend from MONKEYS, extremely common misconception. Rather humans have a common ancestor with APES. And humans are currently classed as great apes along with chimps, bonobo's, orangutans, and gorillas.

The sun isn't the center of the galaxy, far from it. The sun is an average star (nothing special about it) in the Orion arm of the milky way. And we're 26 000 Light years from the galactic core. Our galaxy alone contains up to 400 billion stars, and there are billions and billions and billions of other galaxies. The universe is accepted to be 92 billion light years wide !!!! We can't imagine how many galaxies there are let alone think we're in the centre of it all, that would be pretentious..

[edit on 11-10-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
My bad for some inappropriate terms.

Yes, I did mean Solar System, not Galaxy. Too hasty in writing.

Yes, I know and understand that evolutionary theory does not hint that we came from monkeys; instead, humans and chimps probably branched from a common genetic ancestor. I took Cell Biology, Genetics, and Biochemistry, and it's amazing when you see how little our DNA differs from chimps'.

Yes, I also took Physics, Quantum Mechanics, and Thermodynamics. I understand the Universe a little bit. I can cut and paste from Wikipedia just as well as anyone else can too.

new topics

join