It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else have any experiences with near drowning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hi everyone. I was just thinking that this would be a good topic. I have had several near drowning experiences in my life which to this day makes it very hard for me to enjoy swimming in water that is over my head.

I grew up on Thompson Lake in Maine and not being much of a swimmer got me plenty of grief from friends and family.

It all started when I was about 5 years old. My uncle wanted to teach me to swim and I didn't want to, so.....he picked me up and started to carry me to the end of the dock. Now mind you, everyone was drinking (my parents were part of what I call the "Cocktail Generation"..always having cocktail parties and drinking Tom Collins', etc.....)

Anyway....my uncle takes me to the end of the dock and what does he do? He throws me over the end. I wouldn't have minded so much except everyone else was ice skating. This was very traumatic for me. I was pretty banged up and banged my head on the ice and any of you that have done that know how much it hurts.

Anyone else have any such stories about swimming and near drowning experiences? I have more but will share them later......

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Yep me too,

I was on Holiday in the South of France, I was with my little sister (oni x x here on ATS)
when we decided to just have a fun swim, It was a hot day and clear water,

My sister decided to go get our Dingy as the waves where looking good and we thought it would be fun,
Well as she started going back to the beach to get it, I waited in the water, Next thing i knew i was underwater and everything was grey,

I then went unconscious,

I suffered a black out in the water and was drowning, my body started to drift out of depth,

My little sister oni at the time was only 7 years old, she seen me out there and swam out to hold my head up. she was under the water herself and kept jumping to get a breath..while trying to scream for help..finally someone noticed and my dad ran in and took me and rushed me to the sand where loads of people where waiting to try and revive me, Luckily as i was put down i started to cough so the water came out,

Since that i have a weird panic when water gets over my face, its uncontrollable and i just feel like i cant breath,

I loved swimming and i was a strong swimmer, I hope to beat this very soon,

So there you have in my Lil sis Oni is my hero
And i can never thank her enough for putting her life 2nd to mine,

[edit on 10-10-2007 by asala]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Anyone else have any experiences with near drowning?

I have.

It was several years ago, when I was swimming on some docks in Lake Erie.

A bunch of us were 'suited up' and were blatently waiting for the next big wave.

The problem with this scenerio was the fact that we were looking to swim in a storm!

I belong to the 'push yer luck club', and to this day, I wondered how we were going to survive the storm that befeld us.

Ducky's past:

The waves were lapping mighty hard agaisnt the dock and shoreline. We were all excited about taking a dip.

I, peronally, didn't instigate others to jump in, but foolishly decided to jump into the riptide...nonetheless.

If anyone has ever told you anything in the past about riptides...know that what they told you is the truth

I thought I was brave and strong enough to venture and swim against natures currents.

Man oh man...was I ever so wrong.

How F'n bold of me to think that I could swim so strongly?

The weather picked up and so did the waves.

When the waves got more exciting...so did our nerves!

It wasn't until my cousin was 'picked up by the waves', and laughing her arse off insanely, is when I strongly swam out and grabbed her.

It wasn't a laughing moment at that point.

I heard others screaming at us...the people on the docks were bracing themselves against every 10 foot wave.

They were bracing their feet and at the same time calling to us to grab their hands.

I felt a fire within in me and grabbed my cousins' hand.

I don't know how I did it to this day....but somehow I had managed to break through the riptides and pulled my cousin to land.

Would I ever do that again?

I keep saying over and over in my mind....NO NO NO

But if I had to do it again?.....hmmm.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
In all seriousness, I did almost drown a few times as a kid and my sister rescued me each time. If she wasn't there at those times, I wouldn't be here. Two different times in my uncle's pool and once in the ocean I got caught in an undertow (it wasn't an undertow in my uncle's pool).

I still have a tough time with deep water today. Although, I did go scuba diving last time I was in Hawaii.....I felt safe with all the apparatus and all the people around.

Peace...

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
had one experience 4 yrs ago or more i was @ the beach and i swolowed some sea water then all of a sudden i couldent touch the ground i was out of the flags by like 1 metre and i was @ shore but it was soo deep like 2 metres in the shallow area but the water flow was so strong it was making it deep and ialmost drowed lucky i peddle abit back in the flags

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I once was at a water park and I was like .. 3 or 4 years old. I got sucked into some wave making machine or something and tossed into an area with deep water and was pushed under. It's extremely hard for me to recall what happened. All I know is that I was alive because of my air vest thingy, I passed out and then I remembered another family finding me and giving me to my parents.

Jeez, bad experience, very very bad. I'm phobic of deep water now.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paresthesia
I once was at a water park and I was like .. 3 or 4 years old. I got sucked into some wave making machine or something and tossed into an area with deep water and was pushed under. It's extremely hard for me to recall what happened. All I know is that I was alive because of my air vest thingy, I passed out and then I remembered another family finding me and giving me to my parents.

Jeez, bad experience, very very bad. I'm phobic of deep water now.

easy way to kill a fear is be in it alot isent it?

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

easy way to kill a fear is be in it alot isn't it?

Easier said than done! It's hard to do something alot when one panics every time! It's funny, I was fine with scuba gear on and others around that knew what they were doing....but, in just a bathing suit in deep water? Never happen.....

top topics

join