SCI/TECH: "Opportunity" Lands 'Side-Down' on Mars

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
At about 12:10am EST Opportunity had a flawless entry and landing on the Mars Surface with a 2 to 3g landing, according to NASA. This is a very "light" drop as the unit is rated for landings of up to 40g. Within hours, the lander has deployed and began sending back pictures.

Yahoo News

Above image was taken by NASA's Odyssey spacecraft, and is a close-up of Opportunity's predicted landing site at a region on Mars called Meridiani Planum.

NASA Press Release...
jpl.nasa.gov
First Images of Opportunity Site Show Bizarre Landscape
January 25, 2004

NASA's Opportunity rover returned the first pictures of its landing site early today, revealing a surreal, dark landscape unlike any ever seen before on Mars.

Opportunity relayed the images and other data via NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter. The data showed that the spacecraft is healthy, said Matt Wallace, mission manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

"Opportunity has touched down in a bizarre, alien landscape," said Dr. Steve Squyres of Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., principal investigator for the science instruments on Opportunity and its twin, Spirit. "I'm flabbergasted. I'm astonished. I'm blown away."

(more at above link)

[Edited on 25-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Here we go again... This one could be moving before Rover gets rolling again!

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by DiabolusKlown]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I am watching the NASA Web brodcast of the landing, some updates:

At 12:18am EST Opportunity is still rolling on the ground.

12:25 no fault tones, no errors occured during rollout

12:28 JPL is still receiving up and down beeps, but say they don't believe they are still rolling

12:33 Signal has been lost

12:36 Antenna signal is bouncing off the surface of Mars creating interferance

News conference scheduled for 10:30pm PST and 2:00am PST

I got to say that it was really intresting watching the Team at JPL, I could feel their emotions. Wish I was there like Al Gore.

MSNBC

[Edited on 25-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Side Down The live NASA TV news feed is reporting 'side down' with means the lander has settled on its side. What first appeared to be continued "bounce" signals was actually the lander signal bouncing off Mars before it reached earth. Worst-case landing configuration still allows enough time to deploy panels and obtain a stable configuration. First images are due by 1:00 AM PST according to the NASA commentary.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
wow brilliant. congratulations Nasa on touhcing down. I just got a flash from sky news that woke me up lol so well done and happy days.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
NASA TV coverage of Opportunity
What the Real Media stream of the NASA coverage. www.jpl.nasa.gov... NASA is reporting that Opportunity has a solid data connection with the Mars Golbal Surveyor and there has not been any error codes of any type reported. The landing was "soft and flawless" according to one NASA source, with the exception of settling on the side-pedal.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Yes, but when will this one decide to quit working for us and pledge its allegience to the Red Planet, thus joining its twin?

Hopefully it won't!

Come back to us Spirit!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
It Works! This 360-degree panorama is one of the first images beamed back to Earth from the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity shortly after it touched down at Meridiani Planum, Mars. The image was captured by the rover's navigation camera. Image Credit: NASA/JPL [Edited on 25-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

top topics

join