It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did we really descend from Apes??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I just had a question for the masses of people out there who believe we actually did evolve from apes...

If we did really evolve from apes to humans, then why are apes and monkeys still here living with us? If you have a look at all extinct animals you will see their evolved descendants are alive but they are not.. (e.g. Dinosaurs & alligators, sharks.., mammoths - elephants.)

And also, why aren't they able to show the exact same intellectual / verbal, & emotional patterns as us humans if they share alot of our DNA? If we really did evolve from apes, then theres no need for them to be here is there? Why didn't we evolve from Gorillas, or the smaller species of monkeys? Why are there SO MANY types of ape species, and just one human species? If you get what I mean? And why do we understand SO MUCH more then they do? And capable of so much more? Why don't they build cities, cars, computers, houses, etc... ?

I think its been falsely philosophized through out time in my opinion.

What does every one think? Please don't answer until you have read the whole post, and ready to answer every question I listed.

Bye for now.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
No, we didn't evolve "from" Apes, we both evolved from a common ancestor. All of your questions are answered by the simple fact that we didn't evolve from Apes.

Also, alligators didn't descend from dinosaurs, birds did. And Elephants are a different species than mammoths, one has nothing to do with the other.

[edit on 10-10-2007 by Zenagain]

[edit on 10-10-2007 by Zenagain]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
as we can see we don't really need science taught in our public schools. The cool aid is all they need to drink.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
dogs evolved from a common wolf-like ancestor. This is an established fact. Dogs, Coyotes and wolves can still interbreed to this day. If we have dogs and coyotes, why are wolves still around? Simple answer, evolution diverges into similar, but different species. Microevolution is a fact, we have observed it happening. Chimps and Bonobo monkeys are really the same animal, but evolutionary pressures have already changed their behavior to the point that they are now different species. Give that the time frame that we're talking about when we look at evolution and eventually they'll be as different as gorrilas and chimps, but they still have a common ancestor.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
One great man once said long ago "Modern man, is the missing link between apes and humans." As funny as this is, we do not come from apes no. I think we are a genetic splice between real human beings (ones that use 100% of their brain) and alien DNA.

[edit on 11-10-2007 by 1337cshacker]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
the fossil record contradicts macroevolution at every step of the way.

mr darwin, show me your transitional forms?

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zenagain
No, we didn't evolve "from" Apes, we both evolved from a common ancestor. All of your questions are answered by the simple fact that we didn't evolve from Apes.

quite correct !

in all the many 'branches' which depicts all the various known species
that have inhabited the Earth...both humans, Apes, and possibly all other
simians once had a common ancestor.

that 'branch' divided into several seperate evolutionary paths,
so thats why Apes, Chimps, etc aren't evolving to more human characteristics...they are busy following their line of evolution- -
becoming more perfected (as in adaptable, longer lived?, etc)
Apes or Chimps or whatever.

the 'Human' branch led to humans, by way of ?mutation? natural selection?
gene manipulation? and conventional anthropology leans towards the
Skeleton called 'Lucy' as being the ~2.5 million year old animal which
was/is an ancestor to today's Human branch.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by sollie
the fossil record contradicts macroevolution at every step of the way.

mr darwin, show me your transitional forms?

Show me a complete fossil record

Macro-evolution works via a very long sequence of micro-evolutionary changes - these mostly occurring during times of environmental change, followed by long periods of little or no change.

To show these changes we'd need to look at thousands if not millions of fossils. Most animals do not get fossilised.

It's thus a disingenuous straw man argument to ask for the 'missing link'.

However, it's quite possible that you yourself may be the 'missing link' between Homo Erectus and a future form of Homo that may exist in a million years time .....

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   

And also, why aren't they able to show the exact same intellectual / verbal, & emotional patterns as us humans if they share alot of our DNA?

Well, for the intellectual aspect, they can and do use tools in gathering food and in everyday life. As for the verbal, they don't have the muscular control of the mouth to speak as we do, but they do verbalize with one another in their own "language." Also, many apes and chimps have been able to learn sign language and have been able to communicate with humans in a common language. This shows an obvious sign of intelligence.

As for emotional behavior, many different species show signs of emotion; Elephants will migrate hundreds of miles to the grave site of a previously deceased ancestor, as an example.

-Warlo

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MASH_DADDY
I just had a question for the masses of people out there who believe we actually did evolve from apes...

We don't believe it, we can prove it.

If we did really evolve from apes to humans, then why are apes and monkeys still here living with us? If you have a look at all extinct animals you will see their evolved descendants are alive but they are not.. (e.g. Dinosaurs & alligators, sharks.., mammoths - elephants.)

Why should monkeys and apes die off? They are well adapted for surviving in tropical forests so there's no reason they should suddenly go extinct because humans evolved and went off to live in the high grasses. Human's did not compete with monkeys or apes for survival, so there was no strain put on them there.

And also, why aren't they able to show the exact same intellectual / verbal, & emotional patterns as us humans if they share alot of our DNA?

Because they're not bipedal. Being bipedal liberates the arms that can then be used to collect a lot more food, which allows a bigger brain to develop.

But still, apes and monkeys are still very intelligent, they are self-aware and share most of their behaviors and emotions with humans. A female gorilla learned a special sign language and was able to communicate with biologists (koko).

Why didn't we evolve from Gorillas, or the smaller species of monkeys?

Gorillas ARE apes. We evolved WITH Gorillas, from the same COMMON ANCESTOR. We did not evolve FROM APES.

Why are there SO MANY types of ape species, and just one human species? If you get what I mean?

We're the only remaining human species. All the others went extinct (like neanderthalis)

And why do we understand SO MUCH more then they do? And capable of so much more? Why don't they build cities, cars, computers, houses, etc... ?

Because they are not bipedal and don't have opposable thumbs.

[edit on 11-10-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I dont understand what the big deal is. Does it change the fact that come monday morning I have to get up and go to work? No? Then I couldn't care less where we came from.

We could have evolved from dinosaur-dung eating rodents as far as i'm concerned (boom boom!).

At the end of the day, we could be approaching all this is the wrong way anyway, as in, not if God did it but how God did it.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I see a lot of people just repeating what they have learned in school when it comes to human evolution.

Personally I think the gigantic leap in intelligence between apes and humans can only be explained by alien genetic upgrades, otherwise we would have that leap occurring in every species.

I think the natural evolution theory is that because we learned how to use tools, our brains started developing and we become what we are today?

Well, apes are using tools too, but I dont see any progress in their intelligence because of it.

[edit on 12-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
proof of 'limited' ape evolution

I personally can't see how the blatant similarities can be denied.
Although I think the one on the right has a shinier coat.

I can only imagine how we must look to aliens.What criteria would they place upon grading our evolutionary progress.

The ability to co-exist with others and animals?
Self-sustain without wrecking our habitat?
Protect our own existence,but not at the cost of others wildlife?

I know these are mainly looked on as ethical questions but it comes down to basic biology too.

On that level I don't think we have evolved. At all.
Therefore a direct link to apes as we know them today is unlikely save a mutation or millions of years of 'evolution'.

I reckon evidence will be found that will stagger people as to how long we have been here.

Personally I think we were the discarded retarded half cousin taken for a trip out into the wild and left there a few hundred thousand yrs ago ..
On the opposite site of the galaxy from civillisation

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

apes aren't using tools. a tool is something reusable, there have been no instances of apes using tools

and the "gigantic leap" has obvious transition points. we don't come from modern apes, we have a common ancestor with them

each hominid transition had a bigger and bigger brain with a bigger and bigger cerebrum

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Gorillas using tools

Of course supporters of the evolution theory says that "oh, look at that, now they are using tools just like we used to do". In my opinion, they have probably used tools since they came to life, but still not evolved as humans because of it.

[edit on 12-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
Personally I think the gigantic leap in intelligence between apes and humans can only be explained by alien genetic upgrades, otherwise we would have that leap occurring in every species.

I think the natural evolution theory is that because we learned how to use tools, our brains started developing and we become what we are today?

Well, apes are using tools too, but I dont see any progress in their intelligence because of it.

It's more likely that we were human before we were "interfered" with. 8th millenium BC, world population is estimated 5million. This stays stable and then gradually rises, despite widespread use of agriculture (which would imply a population boom), to 7 million over the next three thousand years.

From 5th to 4th millenium population DOUBLES and then from 4th to 3rd it doubles again.

This is against a backdrop of endemic war. This is the advent of bronze and various other discoveries that i dont have time to list.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
Personally I think the gigantic leap in intelligence between apes and humans can only be explained by alien genetic upgrades,

The so called "leap" has been explained and doesn't involve aliens i'm afraid.

otherwise we would have that leap occurring in every species.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." C. Darwin

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Man did not descend from apes.

Man was created by God, in His own image.

God created the apes and other animals later, and asked man to name all the animals.

I believe in the Bible.

You lot can believe what you will.

[edit on 12-10-2007 by Old Man]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I would suggest you read the Urantia Book's account of evolution, as I have found it to be exceedingly accurate.

And no we didnt evolve from apes, but like a previous poster has mentioned - a common ancestor.

The reason that no animals are developing into intelligent life forms like us is a little more complicated and will probably never be handled by science as we know it today. Purely because it has nothing to do with evolution per se.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I find it interesting that people say that alien upgrades made us what we are. OR, God did it. What if we made us what we are? There has been talk about time travel. What if man 5000 years ago, was a modified version of man 25,000 years from now. This dumbed down version designed to grow and expand and in essence "conqueror" the earth. This would explain why we only use 10% of our brain. Why is it people look to aliens of "God" to have us be what we are, when we very well could have been the "Aliens" or "God". Wow what a concept. With time travel and multiverse theory, all things are possible. Maybe there is only one species "MAN" and we are simply mutations and adaptations for it to exist on this habitable world.

CHEERS!

camain

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join