It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Speed Chases May Soon Be History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
If GM and Law Enforcement Agencies have their way, High Speed Chases may be a thing of the past:

www.usatoday.com...

Police will be able to remotely halt some high-speed pursuits with technology being unveiled today that aims to cut chase-related deaths.

Of course, this could work against law abiding citizens as well.. Dont pay a parking ticket- BOOM your car gets shut off....

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Yeah well, this obviously only works if the person they're chasing is driving a brand spanking new GM vehicle. I don't see that happening all that much unless the vehicle is stolen. Not to mention those that are in the know and smart enough and equipped to "hotwire" these newer vehicles will most likely know which ones are equipped with this system. I'm not a thief but I could look into any car window and tell you whether or not it has onstar or not, and so could many other people. And if they know how to get the thing started I'm sure they will damn well know how to disable the onstar system.

You don't go through all the trouble to steal an escalade just to go on a joyride. These guys know what they are doing.

To sum it up, I don't see this being that big a deal any time soon.

They ought to just develop some sort of directed emp device they could fire from a chopper or police car. One shot and the car would be completely disabled yet totally controllable. Of course it'd fry all the electronics and cost thousands of dollars to repair but who can put a price on life?

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I think it'd be easier, faster and cheaper to just nuke L.A. Practically all the high speed (and low speed) car chases in the world take place in that one city.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Won't happen. There's too much money to be made in having high speed chases broadcast live on the news.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Why don't the manufacturers of motor vehicles in general just put a limit on the top speed of cars, great for cops, no speed chases, and noone speeding

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Because it would be easily bypassed, much like the RPM limiters they already have on vehicles today.

Plus, what if you want to take your vehicle to the track and have some fun off the road?

top topics

join