It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long-Lost, Dangerous Asteroid Is Found Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The terminology and names used in this article are more for those who have an avid interest and follow the skies more closely than I.

It seems that an asteroid discovered and lost,

has been rediscovered with the help of an astronomer from the SETI institute.

article

Echoing the re-discovery of America by the Spanish long after an earlier Viking reconnaissance, astronomers have learned that a recently observed asteroid - one that could potentially hit the Earth - was actually first observed nearly a half-century ago. Researchers at the Minor Planet Center of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge, MA have confirmed work by SETI Institute astronomer Peter Jenniskens that the recently discovered asteroid 2007 RR9 is in fact the long-lost object 6344 P-L.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
After reading an article about how satellites can change the course of asteroids, I seemed to lose interest in their threat, since, I guess, they aren't a threat should they be able to be 'thrown' off course. Whereas, COMETS, I think that's another story still -- but I dunno, that probe DID land on one. Any thoughts on this?

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Anything with sufficient mass can affect the orbits of asteroids and comets. As for these objects being "less of a threat because they can be thrown off course", don't kid yourself. Gravity works both ways. Objects can be deflected towards Earth just as easily as they can be deflected away.

join