It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Is Bill Gates talk about ending Spam by 2006 just talk?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Bill Gates, the world�s richest man owes to solve the world�s most hated problem: Spam. According to sources, he told a select group of World Economic Forum participants in Switzerland that he and his company are planning for a Spam-free world by 2006.

One method involves requiring the sender to solve a puzzle that only a flesh-and-blood person can handle. Another is a "computational puzzle" that a computer sending only a few messages could easily handle, but that would be prohibitively expensive for a mass-mailer.

Bill Gates

Can this be true? We will know by 2006.

Surfup

[Edited on 30-1-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
its only talk.

Not everyone in the world uses Outlook for their email, there ar eplenty of other programs around and spammers have their own programs as well. So to get the "real" spammers this sort of muddled thinking will not work.

Spammers just avoid using programs that have it there.

I am suprised that Gates appears to have so little understanding of the situation that the thinks we are all using his email packages only.

Nothing he has suggested so far will make a dent in the system, whilst there is an abundance of anon emailer programs and massive group lists.

The only system that i have seen working is run by my host, I used to get about 70 per day, now I get about 5, all the rest is taken off at the server.

Another system would be hiring Mercenaries to act as death squads excecuting the spammers as their addresses are uncovered.

join