It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear of rape and sexual assaults over reported by media.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It’s incredible how the media lately makes you feel like there is a child molester around every corner. They input the fear with you every day of your life. It looks like the phenomena exploded in the last 4 or 5 years.
Did our society turn to evil?
Not really so.
Looking at the statistics for the US its incredible how those crimes declined in the last 14 years: 69%.
So why are we hearing so much about those kind crimes? What is the purpose of it? Fear and control. You have fear to have your own child because of those child rapists around every corner of the United States and unconsciously you are declining the US population. You absolutely love the control the govt is imposing you, wouldn't you give up a few liberties here and there for the sake of your kids? They are using the same technique than with terrorism. No more no less.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
have you ever searched for sex offenders in your town. i just checked my town and guess what they are around every corner. i have no kids, but still its pretty sick world and yes we are evil people....

this is the link for my state,

services.sled.sc.gov...

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I'd like to know how the government successfully creates so many sex offenders.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

The government isn't creating them, it's just that you now know about them. There were the same amount of these sickos, maybe more in the past, you just weren't privy to the information about them. Now, if someone is caught and convicted, their name and whereabouts are availiable to the public. There are people out there who ensure that they are outed and watched. Trials and assaults are reported by the media, where before they weren't in the name of victims rights. If anything, the amount has dropped slightly as these sickos now know that there is a lasting repercussion to their crime.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

at least someone is honest the people r evil

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by piacenza

Uh, yeah, they are around every corner. The amount of sex offenders in the nearest town to me is absolutely alarming.
It freaks me out actually. However, what freaks me out even more....are all those twisted ***** who havent been caught yet....or, been reported.

I dont think its overrated by the media. I think its underrated.

And why do we know so much more? Uh, because technology has made it easier for everyone to know.....thank God.

[edit on 14-10-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Humanity in general is tanking. The east side of Cleveland is as bad a Bahgdad lately. Yes, there are a lot of sick tricks out there these days, and if I had kids I'd put them on a very short leash.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Nope, its under reported. Less than 10% of rapes are reported so they problem is a whole lot worse than it may seem at 1st.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I have access to an online police scanner that I listen to often. The number of code one major incidents that are actually reported are vastly undereported.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
I'd like to know how the government successfully creates so many sex offenders.

In Oklahoma it is illegal to urinate in public. If convicted of this offense you are considered a sex offender forever.

I thought that was kind of extreme. I've been known to take a leak outside once in awhile.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by slimpickens93

In Oklahoma it is illegal to urinate in public. If convicted of this offense you are considered a sex offender forever.

I thought that was kind of extreme. I've been known to take a leak outside once in awhile.

Jesus, that makes virtually every man a sex offender, all that does is cheapen the real offenders and their actions.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Fear of crime is a vastly overeported dilemma that has been going on since at least the end of WW2. It factors in with all of their oter fear/terrormongering, such as that they used in the Cold War. Today Terrorism & Global Warming are the replacement for Cold War fear, although the Bush admin is doing a great job of kickstarting a new Cold War with Russia & friends.

In fact, after 9/11 Bush even went as far as to liken "Terrorists" to the mafia, directly. He taught us to fear terrorists like the shadow mafia, and then he taught us to fear Hussein as much as Osama. Now, they're teaching us to fear "Global Warming" like we do Terrorism, and its working.

It's about keeping us in a perpetual state of fear, and when theres no "good" fear monger stories like recent terrorism then they switch over to other subjects to fill the void. For instance, there are typically over 100 BIG NEWS grade kidnapping events each year, but they usually only 'report' a handful. Report meaning WOAH EVERYBODY FREAK OUT, because we're going to report on this like OJ. 'Look how sick humans are', 'the enemy is your spouse, your neighbor', etc. So is that undereporting? Not quite, its actually them fillng in the blanks until some new captivating and freakish grand scale thing occurs. The Media is, by definiton, a classic example of "Distater Capitalists".

The fear of crime dimension is a very well studied and understood issue, in academic circles anyways. Here goes some scholarly papers for you (I honestly dont have time to yank citations today):
www.jc2m.co.uk...
www.blackwell-synergy.com...
www.cleen.org...

Follow up on their citations and keywords, and add "PDF" to your google searches to target scholarly papers.

I could carry on and on about this, but for a short perspective on-topic they report things far more than than statistics actually apply to the real world. Its about making it look like more of a problem than it is, to say the least. I highly recomend you all take the time to at least read my first link there. Enter my profile and click my threads tab and you can find some of my writings about modern fearmongering involving terrorism and global warming.

[edit on 14-10-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

new topics

top topics

join