Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

SCI/TECH: Rover's Twin to land Today

page: 1
0

log in

join

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Still disappointed and confused by Spirit's Rover's malfunctions and failures, NASA's second rover is due to touchdown Saturday midnight.
 

Will Oppurtunity suffer the same fate as ESA's Rovers or sent back gibberish like NASA's Spirit or complete its original mission and sent us back the message all have been waiting restlessly: LIFE FOUND IN MARS? Only time can tell.

If Opportunity touches down safely it should signal Earth within minutes of landing, just as Spirit did.

Opportunity's target is an area called Meridiani Planum, whose terrain scientists believe will be dramatically different from the reddish soil of Spirit's landing site, Gusev Crater. Meridiani is expected to be dark gray or black and relatively dust-free.

The region is believed to be rich in a mineral called gray hematite, which typically forms in marine or volcanic environments rich in water. The landing site is 45-mile-long ellipse that is one of the smoothest and flattest places on Mars.


www.CNN.com

Let us hope the martians don't shoot down Oppurtunity.




[Edited on 24-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]




posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I really hope this is a little more successful than Spirit. If it is, then we just might find what we're looking for.



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
I really hope this is a little more successful than Spirit. If it is, then we just might find what we're looking for.


NASA hopes the same. Do you think we will find Life there? I highly doubt it.



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
maybe not this time around. But i do believe we will someday. Not the things from "Mars Attacks" but tiny microscopic organisms or worm-like creatures.



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
maybe not this time around. But i do believe we will someday. Not the things from "Mars Attacks" but tiny microscopic organisms or worm-like creatures.


Probably long extinct microscopic organism's imprint along the ocean basin.

Definitely not the things from Mars Attack... I certainly hope not.



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Hell... i wouldn't mind meeting one of the things from Mars attacks... As long as I don't try to make peace with it or release white doves.



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
Hell... i wouldn't mind meeting one of the things from Mars attacks... As long as I don't try to make peace with it or release white doves.


You mean you would like them to attack us and take over Earth and put us all in a Marshall Law type gov't, run by stupid people?

I guess it won't be any different from Bush's gov't. Will it?



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
nope...sure wouldn't.... besides in the end everyone will be saved and the pres, well... let's just say he won't be in the sequel.

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by DarkHelmet]

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by DarkHelmet]



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Only 4 hours and 8 minutes left for Oppurtunity to land, says space daily.



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Very cool... that's about 10:00 PM here. so i'll be up in time to maybe read a post about it, or even make the post myself...



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
Very cool... that's about 10:00 PM here. so i'll be up in time to maybe read a post about it, or even make the post myself...


Around 10.00 PM where I live too.



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Space Daily has a screenshot as seen from Oppurtunity.

They also have a count down.



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Thanks alot for the site... I'll have to keep my eye open for the final second.



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
Thanks alot for the site... I'll have to keep my eye open for the final second.


NO PROBLEMO





new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join