It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK 2017: under surveillance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

UK 2017: under surveillance

www.sundayherald.com

IT is a chilling, dystopian account of what Britain will look like 10 years from now: a world in which Fortress Britain uses fleets of tiny spy-planes to watch its citizens, of Minority Report-style pre-emptive justice, of an underclass trapped in sink-estate ghettos under constant state surveillance, of worker drones forced to take on the lifestyle and values of the mega-corporation they work for, and of the super-rich hiding out in gated communities constantly monitored by cameras and private security guards.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
UK Expands Surveillance!

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Scary stuff here. It was the visual I got from this story of spy drones suddenly appearing in the overhead sky that really made my skin crawl. I remember how uncomfortable I became the first time I encountered the tethered surveillance balloons lined-up on the US/Mexico border. I couldn't help but project into a future where the skies above our urban centers were dotted with with robotic aerostats equipped with high-tech optics systems. Spy drones may be even more effective, and according to this story, it look like the UK may lead the way.

You know, I just realized that somewhere along the line I learned to accommodate the surveillance cameras mounted at my small city's traffic intersections. I don't even notice them anymore. Such is the insidious nature of electronic surveillance, and the adaptability of the human being I guess.

www.sundayherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
We are easily accepting these as we are being desentitized by the media. We are getting used to the idea of watching others as a form of entertainment by fly-on-the-wall big brother documentary shows eg Hells Kitchen, Big Brother, I am Celebrity, etc. These shows also encourage us to making judgments about people, decide outcomes for people, and get used to the fact that privacy should be in the public domain.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
After a while you dont even have the energy to get angry about the misuse of power, you just feel apathy.

If something good doesnt happen in 2012, I see a very horrible future for people on this planet. It only gets worse and worse for every year now.

And whats funny is that the people arent asking for any of this. But who cares about the people these days...

[edit on 8-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Its happing now take a look

i61.photobucket.com...

[edit on 08/10/2000 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I often wonder what the point of the surveillance is.

I had a really wild thought when reading the posts about quantum theory and how the observer creates reality - that nothing exists until it is observed. Does the act of surveillance create and control reality?

It is known that if you think you are being observed you act differently to how you would normally. Once we accept and ignore that we are being observed can we then be controlled?

Not sure if this makes sense, but just thought I would throw it into the mix.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by YarlanZey
I often wonder what the point of the surveillance is.

Enslavement. Once people cant voice their concerns without being cut off from society economically, none of us will take the chance to speak up. You can live in a "democracy", but everybody knows unofficially what happens if you criticize the government so you dont.

1984, V for Vendetta... etc.

Those movies are no joke, thats exactly where we are heading.

Its perfect for the ones owning the corporations though... they can even decide to set very low wages to the workers and ignore the laws. Anyone who complains get dragged away. Dont even think about getting justice since its controlled by lobbyists. Why would the judge listen to you when someone gives him a few million not to?

Money is indeed the root of all evil.

[edit on 8-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by YarlanZey
I had a really wild thought when reading the posts about quantum theory and how the observer creates reality - that nothing exists until it is observed. Does the act of surveillance create and control reality?

It is known that if you think you are being observed you act differently to how you would normally. Once we accept and ignore that we are being observed can we then be controlled?

I wouldn't worry about that. You're the only "observer" of your reality. Others observing you would have no effect unless you allowed it to trigger an expected outcome within yourself. Hope that makes sense, lol.

As for all this surveillance stuff... I'm not surprised. Any futurist could predict such a future. This could indeed cause problems, but I've found that life always balances itself out. The same technology that can be used to enslave us can also set us free.

top topics

join