It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to launch $1bn 'Plan Mexico'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

US to launch $1bn 'Plan Mexico'

www.ft.com

The US intends to supply Mexico with a $1bn aid package to help combat an increasingly costly and violent war against drugs, according to a top Mexican diplomat.

The agreement, which some experts have dubbed ”Plan Mexico” after the controversial multi-billion-dollar anti-narcotics package the US established with Colombia in 2000, would be spread out over two years and include the supply of intelligence, training and equipment such as helicopters and boats.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cfr.org
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The U.S. Federal Government has been incapable of securing the Mexico-US border to combat terrorism, so they're going to give $1 billion dollars the Mexican Government to fight the war on drugs... with a side order or illegal immigration assistance, and a dash of money-laundering activities.

Your thoughts?

www.ft.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Infoholic

The money will ultimately end up being used to create even more drugs, which will in turn be brought right back into the U.S at even higher volume...

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by C0le

...which the CIA will sell for even more profit which intern will be plowed right back into production...

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Perhaps they should send Canada 1 Billion to help fight beer... we could use the money on bigger breweries. lol.

Sending money at a problem is not going to make it go away. Eventually that money is going to wind up in the wrong hands, and the problem is merely going to become larger.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I agree...

Taken from the Council on Foreign Relations website...

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), chair of the subcommittee that puts together spending for Plan Colombia, recently cited a lack of “measurable effect on the amount of coc aine entering our country.” The U.S. government says Plan Colombia has reduced coc aine production and increased drug seizures, but experts such as Adam Isacson at the Center for International Policy argue that the street price of coc aine in the United States remains stable (PBS), and that the purity of the drug has increased. According to the 2007 UN Drug Report, interdiction has slightly decreased the availability of coc aine in the United States since 1998.
source

It didn't slow down the flow from Columbia... it made it purer. Sounds like a great investment, if the US Government wants this to be another avenue of revenue, kinda like Afghanistan.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think the U.S. has kept the border open on purpose. There's no proof that they worked hard on keeping it secure from crossings. There is a lot of indications that they've actually worked harder to keep the border INsecure to facilitate drug trade and illegal immigration.

This is money for something else.

C

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Do we fear an invasion from the south? The war against drugs a secret plan of defense for WW3?

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This is all because of some stupid ignorant people who just were always told "drugs are bad" and them trying to force there ignorant morals on others. To me drugs are not bad, what is bad and immoral is taking away people's freedoms and forcing them to pay for someone else's morals.

Maybe if people dropped what they have always been told and did some research on their own, they would find out that much of what they were told has been refuted or wrong. Why it's ok for people to believe some new findings CAN rewrite what they believed, and other findings/knowledge can't.

Because hey, "drugs are bad".

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The way I see it is this:

It's a total racket. The Mexican Gov't says "Give us this money and we will make sure to curtail the drug trade. ( If not, we can't make any promises wink
)". In the meantime, this money goes to corrupt Mexican officials who are also taking money from drug dealers to look the other way on their manufacturing and distribution. The only drug dealers who will be rounded up are the small-timers who can't or won't pay off the Mexican officials.

The only thing that the "War on Drugs" has accomplished is getting a whole lot government officials on both sides of the border very rich and a whole lot of citizens in jail. Drugs are still available and people still do them.

A thread which discusses both current and former administration's complicity with drugs as well as other issues here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
We can spend money on this crap, but we can't do universal health care?

The more a government cracks down on drugs, the more drugs there are because the profit margin goes up.

Decriminalization, regulation and taxation is the only sensible way to go about this. If they taxed drugs, we would have enough money for the health care that every citizen in the country should have access to.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Maybe they are trying to increase the potency and flow of drugs into the country to sedate the masses that the world will end in five years.

But that's just crazy talk.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
My opinions on drugs are as follows, I don't do them never have never will, its not for me, but what one does with their body on their property is their business.

since they are illegal, there is more willingness to commit crimes in order to get them, well beyond the crime of simply using them alone, robbery, rape, murder ect.

more people aren't going to all of a sudden start doing these things just because its legal, the same types of losers who do them in the first place sure wont be killing each other over them anymore though.

Heck wed save a heck of a lot of money just letting these low lives sign up for a mailer and just recieve them courtesy of us, until they od and die.

[edit on 8-10-2007 by C0le]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
maybe with more coming in there will be an overabundance of supply and the price will go down so they will be cheaper. With them being cheaper and more readily avaialble, it will be easier to get more people on them. so either way, the GOV makes more money.

And if you ask me, drugs are not bad, its the people who do them that are.. just like guns

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Knowing 1st hand how corrupt Mexican government is, my guess is the sons and daughters of the diplomats and officials will get the benefits of this 1billion.

More Ferrarries on the streets I guess.

How can our government waste so much of our taxpayers money?

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

MM... you make a very good point. Why aren't our elected officials putting our hard earned money towards something with realistic means? Everyone of this nation could benefit from a health care system that worked.

I don't think that would be too much to ask for.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Infoholic

How can the corporations make money from healthy people? They dont. But they make huge profits from selling pharmaceuticals. And corporations run America with lobbyism.

Sorry, your well being is not a priority.

[edit on 8-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
How can the corporations make money from healthy people?

If all America was healthy, I believe the work force would benefit as well. More healthy people.. more work.. everyone benefits.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand what you're saying, and I agree. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
My opinions on drugs are as follows, I don't do them never have never will, its not for me, but what one does with their body on their property is their business.

I agree with this. However, many people who choose to use drugs decide to leave their property while under the influence, therefore causing issues for the rest of us.

I am all for people doing whatever they want in their own home between consenting adults.................but many people wont stay in their home. I do not want some dude who is tripping on something to get behind the wheel of a car and kill my family. If he wants to trip in his home, and his home only. More power to him.

since they are illegal, there is more willingness to commit crimes in order to get them, well beyond the crime of simply using them alone, robbery, rape, murder ect.

more people aren't going to all of a sudden start doing these things just because its legal, the same types of losers who do them in the first place sure wont be killing each other over them anymore though.

That is not necessarily true. So, we make all drugs legal. What if some of these loosers cant afford the legal drugs? They are still going to committ the same crimes in order to obtain the legal drugs. Most of these loosers, cant even afford the illegal stuff.......how is making it legal going to change anything?

Alcohol is legal, but it certainly isnt stopping crime, drunk driving,etc. etc.

One of my closest friends is a DEA agent in LA. He said there is no war on drugs. He said he has the most secure job in the world. Drugs will never go away. He has also seen the very very dark side of drugs. He doesnt think making them legal will matter at all.

I dont know what the answer is..........but I know that spending 1 billion dollars in a foreign country to try and "fix" the problem isnt the answer. That money should be spent in our own backyard helping the people who are hooked on drugs.........IMO.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This is exactly what US needs to spend a billion dollars on when are diollar is worth 4 pennys a bill. Mexico's wars on drugs, where the cops are the drug dealers. Since when are we the Global Policeman? My dollars funding this!!! Ill see you at the 10 million man protests in DC.
DWTIP

[edit on 8-10-2007 by dntwastetime]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join