It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcanism and Sea Level

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I was watching a fantastic documentary on NGC last night about the possible link between volcanoes and rising sea levels. The research suggests that even small changes in sea level can trigger eruptions, as the added weight of sea water presses on the earth's crust and causes magma pockets to squeeze out, just like a tube of toothpaste.

This could explain why the Ring of Fire is so active at the moment: the polar ice is melting.

I looked up some links to provide more information on this for the sake of discussion:

www.nature.com...

www.cosis.net...

Here is the link to the show.

This has quite frightening implications for anyone living around the Pacific Rim.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Thanks for the great OP, I am decorating the house for Halloween right now before the kids get home from school but will get back to you to discuss further. I wish I had seen the documentary...

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I too want to see this program. I have thought about rising sea levels and weight of water on crustal plates. Seems that larger earth quakes have picked up a little bit.

Surely someone with the USGS would notice this.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
UMM... IS THIS THE SAME SHOW THAT STATED THAT THERE WERE POSSIBLY BLACK AND WHITE HOLES ON THE OCEAN FLOOR??

I BELIEVE THAT THEY WERE SAYING THAT BLACK HOLES WERE SUCKING PLANES AND SHIPS OUT OF THE SKY AND WHITE HOLES WERE RELEASING NEW MATTER ONTO THE OCEAN FLOOR.

I THINK THE NGC WAS JUST TRYING TO FILL AN HOUR.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DEUCE N CHICA
UMM... IS THIS THE SAME SHOW THAT STATED THAT THERE WERE POSSIBLY BLACK AND WHITE HOLES ON THE OCEAN FLOOR??

I BELIEVE THAT THEY WERE SAYING THAT BLACK HOLES WERE SUCKING PLANES AND SHIPS OUT OF THE SKY AND WHITE HOLES WERE RELEASING NEW MATTER ONTO THE OCEAN FLOOR.

I THINK THE NGC WAS JUST TRYING TO FILL AN HOUR.

I see you new here, welcome and have fun. Take your caps off for posting. You'll probably have someone in admin tell you this.

See you in the forums...

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DEUCE N CHICA

No, that was a show about the Bermuda Triangle.

This was a show about the Ring of Fire.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
ahh... sorry for the offensive CAPS. I guess, however, I did catch the wrong show.

Thank you sir for correcting me.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It's all good. As a skeptic, I wouldn't have put up info about the show on the black holes/white holes at the bottom of the Bermuda Triangle. That is pushing common sense just a bit too far for my comfort at this time.

Welcome aboard, by the way! (and I'm not a "sir"
)

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Good post, and an interesting concept. Did the show explain about water pressure? Or did they only discuss how much water weighs?

In the interests of denying ignorance, I'm going to post something here about water pressure. If you have a pool that's 33 feet deep -about 10 meters- and you are in the pool completely underwater; the water will press on you the same amount no matter where you are in the pool. If you have a pool of water that's 34 feet deep and lay on the bottom of the pool, it will press on you twice as much.
Adding 1 inch of water depth to the oceans would weigh a whole heck of a lot. But water is squishy stuff. Water molecules can compress and fill in gaps. It takes 33 feet of water to equal another atmosphere of pressure.
It's an interesting phenomenon, that water presses twice as hard between 34 and 66 feet. At 67 feet, it presses 3 times as hard as it does at the surface.

*edited to add* Thank you very much for the links to data showing the link between increased volcanic activity and melting sheet ice. It opens up a whole spectrum of questions for me about global warming, greenhouse gasses and global surface cooling. Thanks!

[edit on 8-10-2007 by Busymind]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The show didn't say much about pressure, except for how the water changes density in wintertime due to temperature. I don't think that's the same thing though.

One of the last things the main scientist they interviewed said was how delicately balanced our planet is. Just a little change in one area can change the whole balance of the planet.

You're welcome for the links.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
id say that the level of sea water wouldn't make much of a difference, if anything it would spread the weight of the water around more. maybe it has something to do with eustacy (sp?) when the polar ice caps melt and as a result the land mass beneath rises due to the reduction of mass above.
magme has a density far greater than water, and there is far more of it than water too under the oceanic plates, and continental plates, so i think that water will not have much of an effect in terms of added pressure, nothing noticeable in the form of volcanism anyhow.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Heres a concept. Maybe the volcanoes are responsible for the melting ice caps. Volcanoes are by far the #1 poluters of the environment when it comes to carbons and such. The more junk volcanoes spew into the air the more dangerous toxins levels in the airs become. The greater the effect on the levels of green house gases, creating a warmer world. The earth then sends its damaging cosmic rays to the earth, the depleted ozone levels around the poles allow more toxic radiation in, further warming the globe and causing arctic and antarctic ice to melt, creating more downward forces on the ocean flors, creating more and larger volcanic eruptions........WOW its a never ending cycle. We are doomed!!!!!

I say the earth is letting off some built up steam. It too is all cyclical, just the rapid warming and cooling of the earth. Its been going on for millions of years, although...NO I HAVE NO PROOF of this, as I am only 36. Have not been around for millions of years, so I am willing to believe the 68% of all scientists, that DO NOT AGREE with global warming being caused by humans!

I say blame the volcanoes and enjoyu the nice warm weather. Temps were almost 90 degrees this weekend in NY City. Central park was beautiful in october!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by traderonwallst

That's a fairly popular theory, from what I've read. I prefer to believe a mixture of the two; the Earth goes through periodic weather/homeostatic cycles during it's lifetime, but outside factors (like automobile exhaust) can speed that process up. Now the only problem is, are we going to push it too far where it falls into a different set of cycles based on a more polluted environment? After all, change is the only constant in this universe.

-Warlo

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
I have thought about rising sea levels and weight of water on crustal plates.

Google keyword: Isostasy

Sri Oracle

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
this all appears to be getting a little off topic.
MM was asking if rising waters (Eustacy) could trigger volcanic events, not visa versa. this theory of which i disagree on personally as said in my last post.

volcanism can easily cause sea levels to rise, but can also throw us into an ice age where the opposite would occur. this event will cause ice to form on continental land masses in tern causing isostatic rebound in other parts of the world where there is less or no ice. this may cause so volcanism, but i am not sure. so in effect maybe volcanism is the cause for more volcanism, but in the scenario that is the present i think that there is no connection.

top topics

join